Is not intensity affected by photon energy? (1 Viewer)

HSC
In the Excel book it states "Intensity is independent of photon energy". Taking intensity to equal power/area, doesn't an increase in photon energy mean more energy and hence more power per unit area?
Thanks in advance

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
lol.

also, iirc it went something like:

energy is dependant on the frequency of the photon
intensity relates to the number of photons, higher intensity means more photons, intensity therefore doesnt correspond to the energy of the photon, but rather to the number of photons

u feel me?

HSC
lol.

also, iirc it went something like:

energy is dependant on the frequency of the photon
intensity relates to the number of photons, higher intensity means more photons, intensity therefore doesnt correspond to the energy of the photon, but rather to the number of photons

u feel me?
BUt higher frequency --> greater energy per photon and therefore more energy per unit area i.e. greater intensity (whihc is power per unit area)..... so I really dont see how u can say changing the energy of a photon doesn't affect the instensity of the emr..... or do I have it all wrong?

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
There are several different definitions of intensity, even within different branches of physics!

Easiest definition to think about for this case is what stampede said.

Intensity is all to do with the number of photons per unit area, essentially the 'concentration' of photons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)