Is O-Week useful? (1 Viewer)

diana169

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask if o-week is really recommended to attend? I was planning to attend, but since airline tickets from china back here are really expensive and almost non-existent (for my preferred airlines) around 23/24/25 etc., so i can only fly back on the 27Feb, and attend friday of o-week?

So, will i miss out a lot?

Thanks

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
depends. Some schools give introductory lectures during O-week. In CSE, you have to set up your account during O-week as well. So I guess its about 2 days worth of important stuff, but otherwise it was mostly fluff for me.

Recommendation: attend o-week

Tim035

HSC
If you're familiar with the campus, I.e. Know where all your classes are going to be in semester 1 and don't have any urgent questions then no, you can get away without going. It is a great week, but not so great that it's worth purchasing a return trip to China.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Only the social aspect is worth it in my opinion. I didn't learn anything new other than my way around a bit, however socially/in terms of fun I honestly rank it close to one of the best weeks of my life.

But as said above, probably not worth spending extra to get back earlier.

Pace_T

HSC
O week was sooooo pointless. dont bother going.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
It's fun to first years but not that useful. You can go to the faculty welcomes if you want but they last for a few hours and most people don't stick around that long.

O-week is a good time to meet others and make friends but if you dont go, you'll get lots of chances once your first week of university starts.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Dont waste a ticket, 0-week isnt worth an airline ticket from china, trust me.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: Is O-Week useful?

darkwolfzx said:
depends. Some schools give introductory lectures during O-week. In CSE, you have to set up your account during O-week as well. So I guess its about 2 days worth of important stuff, but otherwise it was mostly fluff for me.

Recommendation: attend o-week
lol i forgot to set up my account for use in COMP1911 lab lessons during week 0 and did it in week 1 instead, but not a good idea.

otherwise o-week provides social benefit.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Re: Is O-Week useful?

I think I might have just realised all the intro lectures and stuff might be happening during week 0, which is different from O-Week. That being said, o-week is essentially a week for lulz. In that case I guess I'll put in a few extra shifts at work if I can instead.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
uhawww said:
Only the social aspect is worth it in my opinion. I didn't learn anything new other than my way around a bit, however socially/in terms of fun I honestly rank it close to one of the best weeks of my life.

But as said above, probably not worth spending extra to get back earlier.
^yep, oweek is a time to familiarize yourself with the campus and get introduced to campus life and the kinds of things people get up to outside of studies. If you don't live in college, you won't get many opportunities like this once classes start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)