Is part-time job more managenable in uni than in HSC? (1 Viewer)

KarmaKitten

HSC
It really depends on the individual person and the job itself. You can manage to work 2-3 days a week but like some of the previous posters mentioned you would really need to manage your time well.

If you prepare yourself well, use any breaks you have to catch up on study and start essays and exam study early, it should be fine. I managed last year with full time uni, a part time job and a demanding volunteer role. It was stressful but I having responsibilities such as work are important in order to round out your experiences.

Maybe look for a part time job in the second semester and just find your feet first.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
True. :haha:
Im doing an engineering/physics course and Ive got 24 contact hours. Due to timetabling Im actually at uni for a total of 34 hours and 4 days. I am also continuing my part time job of 15-18 hours a week.

I preety much did the same thing during the hsc. I didnt drop any subjects so had no frees lol. Worked part time job 3-5 nights a week. I managed a decent uai of in the mid 80's.

Learn how to practice affective time management people! Grow up!

Oh yerh the person who said "i want to be financially inependant from parents" or whatever. just LOL
hey hun long time no see!

why is your contact hours that high? we did not spend that much time at school?

I think i will see what my timetable is like second semester to decide whether to go back to work, if I had another job i would probably work during the semester. My job is just not that flexible

Last edited:

Smithereens

HSC
It really depends on the individual person and the job itself. You can manage to work 2-3 days a week but like some of the previous posters mentioned you would really need to manage your time well.

If you prepare yourself well, use any breaks you have to catch up on study and start essays and exam study early, it should be fine. I managed last year with full time uni, a part time job and a demanding volunteer role. It was stressful but I having responsibilities such as work are important in order to round out your experiences.

Maybe look for a part time job in the second semester and just find your feet first.
Hmm, well I'm starting uni with a HSC tutoring job, and I'm planning to volunteer for 1-2 organisations this year. Just not sure how that will impact my grades this year.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Hmm, well I'm starting uni with a HSC tutoring job, and I'm planning to volunteer for 1-2 organisations this year. Just not sure how that will impact my grades this year.
Well your grades obviously should be your main priority. I had a lot of commitments last year but I still received Distinctions and Credits.

Be prepared, give yourself plenty of time to do your assignments and start things EARLY. Last year, I would start some of my essays the first/second week of the semester because I knew that I would not be able to just 'do it last minute'.

Also with volunteering, the best advice I can give is, to tell them when you need time off and to make sure that you speak out when they're asking too much. Most volunteer organisations obviously don't want to put pressure on you as they grateful to get the extra hands so it should be okay.

So its definitely do-able. Stressful but do-able.

HSC
N/A
some interesting responses, but honestly guys if i chose to work during HSC i wouldn't possibly have managed a UAI of 98+, that's why i envy ppl who are time management king
some ppl have to study their butts off all day just to get at least 90 and couldn't possibly include work in their schedule

but since i just got my P's, maybe i can work on weekends but i'm afraid of the workload and how much impact it would have if i'm aiming for distinction average.

Last edited:

Smithereens

HSC
Thanks for the great advice - I was initially worried with the workload of Law but I'll just have to try this semester.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Thanks for the great advice - I was initially worried with the workload of Law but I'll just have to try this semester.

You're welcome.

One last point, you also have to remember that you don't just want to end up with a piece of paper in a certain amount of years, do you? Especially with Law (and basically lots of other degrees), I mean you will be competing with others who've gone to uni, held steady jobs, volunteered at law organisations and aid organisations etc etc, and will come off with a balanced resume.

If you're hesitant, just take it slow the first semester and then throw yourself into the other stuff.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
There is no excuse for bludging off your parents/Centrelink at uni. Get a job. If you could not handle time management in the HSC, you will not be equipped for uni.

/thread.
i get centrelink because i can, i worked really hard in my first year of uni and made enough to be over the threshold.

but i work as well, because i like nice things and i dont leech off my dad.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC

Some of us can skip thirteen weeks of lectures and (non compulsory) tutorials and learn the whole course in stuvac. Some have to attend each lecture and rewrite their notes afterwards to make sense of the material. Everyone is fundamentally different, I wouldn't say that it is soft to cut back on work to concentrate on studying if that's what's required to get good marks.

GloomyBear

HSC
I just started my job in the Summer holidays and hope to continue it while I'm studying. I think it's probably manageable if you work 2~3 days? Like on a day that has only one class? >:

shsshs

HSC
im in third year this year at usyd doing Commerce and Law. full time.
i have 12 hours of class this semester. the most hours ive ever had in my past two years was 14 hours.

that's 2.5 days at uni.

you can easily manage a parttime job.

adnan91

HSC
im a casual lifeguard, how many hours should i expect to be at uni if im engineering/commerce first year?

Miss Winey

HSC
It's so unfair law/commerce/arts students have 12 hours contact a week! LAME.

I do Engineering/Arts
I have about 25 contact hours a week.
If I only did engo subjects this can goto about 30 hours a week.
For all engo subjects, if you want to pass (and just pass) you need to double the contact hours into "homework" hours.

I have held 2 part time jobs throughout uni.
This involves teaching music at Saturdays only. (Permanant part times is good)
and doing student marketing at Uni. (getting JOBS ON CAMPUS is the best. so ask all the outlets for positions early!)

It is a struggle, because i also do student leadership/clubs and societies/sport/volunteering work as well.
So it's a hard juggle.

Pretty much about 80% of engineering students have part time jobs.
and about 40% of engineering students fail EVERY course.
so you need to learn very good time management.

Not to mention all the awesome parties

adnan91

HSC
So i should expect a shit load of work? lifeguarding is an easy job (little effort) plus when i start uni i was hoping to work at the uni aquatic centre. Any tips abt getting a job at uni? any vacancies u know of? good experience related to engineering/commerce students? probably gonna chase an internship somewhere..

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I sucked a lot of dick to get through my first year at uni.

HSC
N/A
guys, no one has answered the topic title yet

i just really need to know if working during uni is easier than in yr12.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
One would say that it is possibly more difficult, since each semester is like the HSC except rolled into 3 months.

It really depends on you and your aims. I don't understand why people aim for high UAIs and only passes at uni, considering it's the latter that has the most effect on your life. Try some work as you start, and then adjust as necessary. Nobody is going to have the answer for you, and like real life, you have to experiment to find what is best for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)