Is Poetry so bad? (1 Viewer)

ildgeesethatfly

HSC
Hello
I am seriously considering doing poetry, although all my teachers keep advising us not to. Is it really true that poetry generally doesnt score very well? (obviously not entierly-I only know one person who has done it, and they got 49)
What Im thinking of doing wont be completely serious, but sort of lighthearted and slightly satirical.
Am I crazy?

Thank you

picaresque

HSC
i know quite a few people using poetry this year -- you should only practice this medium if you have confidence in your poetic ability. it's probably a lot harder to bullshit your skills and sophistication because poetry is all about the use of language and most teenagers have a tendency to produce some very very shit poetry.

but if you have the ability, go for it. it's not marked harder than any other medium, people just tend to suck more. (although if your teachers are all against you trying your hand at it, maybe you should listen to their assessment of your ability to handle this medium.)

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
i would think it would be better to ask a teacher if you specifically could do poetry and give 'em a sample...
you might be a diamond in the rough or something of the like so it's no good listening to their generalisations and thinking you can give up right there

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
If I had my time again I wouldn't have done poetry.... not that I'm advising you against it... I think you really need to have a good idea of your actual poetic ability and you would have to delve in to something really deep with your poetry otherwise they won't get the marks...

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
I was told by my teacher that I'd do critical analysis well, or I can give Short Stories or Poetry a go, but it would be SO much more work, and riskier... because poetry is really open to interpretation, and what someone thinks is WONDERFUL, someone else may think is utter crap!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah don't do poetry, markers get the shits with juvenile poetry, and although it may seem good to you, it will probably sound young and trite to them...

Classic

I did poetry ... not pleased with my examination mark, but hey - if they don't like it, who cares?! I could have done Critical analysis and prob hav done betta, but I wanted to actually ENJOY doing 4 unit ... I wanted to do somethin I loved ...
So, if ur passionate enough about it and have some faith and confidence in ur own poetic ability, go for it ... just be prepared for a lower mark :eek: - but hey, it could be 50/50 ... u just can't tell!!! :)
GOOD LUCK ;)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
It seems like the majority of people are telling you not to do poetry, ildgeesethatfly. But what it all comes down to is what YOU want to do, and where your strengths lie.

But at the same time, your teachers (and the '03ers'/'02ers' on the BoS) are experts. :p

KarmaKitten

HSC
Im doing poetry, teachers took samples of everyone, and they said i had credibility, i think its a lot about your idea too.
i love poetry, i couldnt see myself doinganything else

Serpentia

Yes I am wtih you on that one KarmaKitten

I have written all my life

And I'm happy with the stage I am at with poetry

I post all my stuff on a site and I have been getting very positive feedback lately

so maybe there is hope for us poets :D

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Of course there is hope for poets! English teachers LOVE poetry... I'd say, if your good at it, and your passionate about it, and your willing to put in the hard yards... DO IT!

Classic

Agreed :D
Hooray for poetry .... woooooooooooo
In comemoration of this event I would like to write a poem ...
Poems hooray!
Write them today
They're fantastic and nifty
U'll get a 50!!
Poems hooray!
Write them today!
Wow ... i think im the next Sylvia Plath :p lol...

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by Serpentia
Yes I am wtih you on that one KarmaKitten

I have written all my life

And I'm happy with the stage I am at with poetry

I post all my stuff on a site and I have been getting very positive feedback lately

so maybe there is hope for us poets :D
<3 poetry

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I may sound bitter and twisted, but make sure you detach yourself a bit from your major work after handing it in, especially if you are writing in a medium that you love.... after being chewed up and spit out by the system, I really have very little desire to write poetry whatsoever any more.....

But if you have talent, and you really want to do it and are willing to face judgement from the BOS then go ahead.... don't mind my regrets lol I wish you all the best of luck no matter what medium you choose.

Serpentia

hmm thank you very much

I guess Ash, you can always realise that your poetry was your own accomplishment, and not pay as much attention to a board's opinion. You still have wonderful poetry that you can keep for the rest of your life!

Giant Lobster

HSC
I wonder how they go about marking poetry...

I cant really imagine there be any set criteria where the marker will look for in the poetry and go off ticking the boxes, then tallying up your marks.

KarmaKitten

HSC
our teachers gave us this booklet on how they mark the projects and how they mark each medium
it really really helps (the booklet)

Serpentia

yeah I was wondering about that

because I was thinking, maybe it would make more sense to have people who at least know a little about poetry to be marking it......... hmmmmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)