Is post-grad at USYD hard to get into? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am thinking about doing a post-grad health science degree after an applied science degree. Is it hard to get into or do they accept people automatically who have a GPA & etc?

madharris

HSC
N/A
It's pretty difficult to get into from what I've heard, it's really competitive, especially physio
What did you have in mind?

HSC
Damn ... I had both physio and dietetics in mind but sided more on physio because I find it more interesting.
Do you know around about how many applicants they accept and what the requirements are?

madharris

HSC
N/A
Damn ... I had both physio and dietetics in mind but sided more on physio because I find it more interesting.
Do you know around about how many applicants they accept and what the requirements are?
I think it's about 80 but I'm not 100% sure. For masters of physio, you will need at least a distinction average
With dietics, I don't think they take that many people in at all :\

However that should only be something to motivate you to get in so you can work harder! :) Good luck!

HSC
Hmm 80 seems like a generous amount from hindsight. Do you know around about how many people apply from that group of 80? Because I don't find it particularly securing if I do an undergraduate science course and then don't get accepted to do a post-grad where I want my career to be in. Would it be better settling on University of Newcastle which requires an ATAR of 96?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm 80 seems like a generous amount from hindsight. Do you know around about how many people apply from that group of 80? Because I don't find it particularly securing if I do an undergraduate science course and then don't get accepted to do a post-grad where I want my career to be in. Would it be better settling on University of Newcastle which requires an ATAR of 96?
just go for undergrad at USyd/UWS/ACU
(Just go to the closest one tbh)

Then, pick where you would most like to go if you had to move in Australia and look at physio courses there.
Duh.
Unless Newcastle or Canberra are close-ish enough to you and you want to go home on the weekends.

HSC
USYD is closest and honestly I would much rather refer to stay in Sydney. And isn't it just USYD that has a post-grad for physio? And it's competitive too. And no, if I went to Newcastle I would have to live there for 3-4 years because it's nearly a 2 hour drive up north.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I'm not 100% sure how many actually apply, however a lot of the exercise sport science kids and a lot of the health science kids (majoring in movement) apply for masters of physio.
And they're not easy courses either, many of their subjects are actually similar/the same as undergrad physio which are really difficult such as FMA, FMB, body systems and biomechanics so transferring to physio/getting into masters isn't an easy path to take.
UWS also has a masters course, and unlike the stereotype of UWS, their physio course is very respectable as in the health sector, it's not about where you go to uni but about you as a person and your experience.

Emily Howard

HSC
im thinkin bout applyin fo health science but lidcombe campus

madharris

HSC
N/A
im thinkin bout applyin fo health science but lidcombe campus
Bachelor of Health Science?
The first year is at main campus, then the second and third year is either at main campus, lidcombe campus or a mixture of both depending on what subjects you do

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
USYD is closest and honestly I would much rather refer to stay in Sydney. And isn't it just USYD that has a post-grad for physio? And it's competitive too. And no, if I went to Newcastle I would have to live there for 3-4 years because it's nearly a 2 hour drive up north.
ACU then

HSC
I'm not 100% sure how many actually apply, however a lot of the exercise sport science kids and a lot of the health science kids (majoring in movement) apply for masters of physio.
And they're not easy courses either, many of their subjects are actually similar/the same as undergrad physio which are really difficult such as FMA, FMB, body systems and biomechanics so transferring to physio/getting into masters isn't an easy path to take.
UWS also has a masters course, and unlike the stereotype of UWS, their physio course is very respectable as in the health sector, it's not about where you go to uni but about you as a person and your experience.
I find those types of courses interesting which is why I was considering maybe doing B Exercise/Sports Science or Exercise Physiology and then transferring to post-grad physio. And I see that you are doing Occupational Therapy, could you tell me a bit about the course (anything really tbh) because it's one of my options too.

HSC
I came across ACU yesterday actually. I think I am going to go to their Open Day to see if I like it or not. Definitely a lot closer than Newcastle. They also had "Access ACU" and if you type in your school's name and your postcode something pops up saying "qualifies for up to 5 bonus points" ... so that's 10 bonus points already just for going to a school and living in a suburb in Sydney??? Seems a little weird. Might have to get this clarified.

Emily Howard

HSC
Bachelor of Health Science?
The first year is at main campus, then the second and third year is either at main campus, lidcombe campus or a mixture of both depending on what subjects you do
nah masters

2 years doe

bedpotato

HSC
How difficult would post grad occupational therapy be to get into?

jaycoo

HSC
I heard it's difficult because you're competing with so many other people to get into the same course. If you're really passionate about the course then go for it!

madharris

HSC
N/A
How difficult would post grad occupational therapy be to get into?
Not 100% sure however
For MOT, you dont need to do a prerequisite course, as in you can do MOT after you do any undergrad course whereas in MPT, you need to do something such as exercise sport science as an undergrad degree.

So there will be more people that are able to apply for MOT. However in saying that, i'm pretty sure occupational therapy is no where near as popular as physio so I don't think it should be too difficult to get into.
If you do a bachelor of health science, you'll more likely than not be able to transfer into the undergrad OT course if you want with a credit average (which I probably think is a better option as you get more placement experience in undergrad and it's a not as full on course)

HSC
Not 100% sure however
For MOT, you dont need to do a prerequisite course, as in you can do MOT after you do any undergrad course whereas in MPT, you need to do something such as exercise sport science as an undergrad degree.

So there will be more people that are able to apply for MOT. However in saying that, i'm pretty sure occupational therapy is no where near as popular as physio so I don't think it should be too difficult to get into.
If you do a bachelor of health science, you'll more likely than not be able to transfer into the undergrad OT course if you want with a credit average (which I probably think is a better option as you get more placement experience in undergrad and it's a not as full on course)
Could do you do a Bachelor of Exercise Physiology and do a MPT?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)