Is sam correct? (1 Viewer)

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
like my mate checked out sam and a pass in 4u maths = very low uai? though the other subjects are quite good. whats going on?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
the UAI is a rank, not a mark

the HSC concerns how well you've effectively met the criteria... hence the bands

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
sam gives you the uai.....

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
SAM is a calculated guesstimate, it isn't right or wrong.

you have to interpret it your own way. if SAM gives you a UAI of 80, it doesn't mean you will get 80 in your 2005 UAI, but it does mean if your hoping for 95, you need to start working.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
stop fucking spamming you ditzy gronk

i personally have no faith in SAM it told me id get a UAI of 69 or something from my trial marks and i got nearly identical marks in the hsc and got 87
go figure
SAM caused me many sleepless nights

A l

HSC
N/A
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
like my mate checked out sam and a pass in 4u maths = very low uai? though the other subjects are quite good. whats going on?
Mathematics Extension 2 has very high peforming students. About 80% of students doing the course get into the top 2 bands. Just a simple pass in that course would mean a very low ranking.

MaryJ_

HSC
A teacher at our school gives us UAI estimates according to some BOS book on scaling, and she basically said that SAM is one of the worst estimaters around. For me, SAM was about 10 points lower than my estimate from school. People who completed their HSC last year also said that SAM was pretty far off. Anyways, it doesn't hurt to get a kick in the butt telling you to work harder ;)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
MaryJ_ said:
A teacher at our school gives us UAI estimates according to some BOS book on scaling, and she basically said that SAM is one of the worst estimaters around. For me, SAM was about 10 points lower than my estimate from school. People who completed their HSC last year also said that SAM was pretty far off. Anyways, it doesn't hurt to get a kick in the butt telling you to work harder ;)
well... your teacher is probably wrong because BOS don't do the scalling. UAC does.

School estimates are also usually higher than what you will get.

there is no reason to suggest SAM will be far off if it is used properly.

HSC
Well, from what I understand, because the 4U course is so hard and the candidature is so smart, if you get a raw mark of 60ish, you'll end up with a high 80/low 90 result.

And when you're using SAM, you have to remember that putting in your assessment mark will almost definitely get you the wrong UAI. It's better to guess about where you are in the state and find a mark to correspong with that - because, remember, there is a lot of aliging going on at BOS which we dont see

cartzz

HSC
SAM is a good way to make yourself feel really big-headed or really shit. But without the other thousands of marks from around the state, its pretty useless. You cant discredit its estimate, but dont rely on it. Same goes for any estimates...fact is we've still got 50% of each subject ahead of us, not to mention the competition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)