Is Samuel Davis Incompetent? (1 Viewer)

KennoLXIX

HSC
Okay, i'm being completely serious when asking this...

So as you may know, Sam Davis wrote a book on the SDD HSC Course... and a few unfortunate schools (mine included) have been forced to use it as the textbook for the HSC

This [Offensive term referring to author removed] WROTE 370 PAGES WORTH OF INFORMATION!!!!!!!

Seriously, for one section (Sorry, cant remember the name of it... it may have been parity checks) I decided to compare Davis book to Heinemann and Jacranda...

For this section, Jacaranda wrote about 3 quarters of a page, Heinemann wrote half. Sam Davis wrote 9 PAGES on this section alone, 3 pages of which was a HSC question... so 6 pages worth of crap on this section!!!!

Do teachers not see this when buying us this book? Is Sam Davis a retard for thinking we need this much information?

There is no F'n point memorising 6 pages worth of notes when there is half a page PERFECTLY explaining the concept. Davis does this for 370+ pages!!!!!

/// end rant!

[Moderator Note: I have edited this post to remove an offensive term used to disparage the author of the book. For the same reason, I have changed the title of the thread to ask if the author is incompetent. It is fine to express negative views on a textbook but I ask everyone to remember to choose appropriate language. Thank you.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Want90Atar

HSC

So as you may know, Sam Davis wrote a book on the SDD HSC Course... and a few unfortunate schools (mine included) have been forced to use it as the textbook for the HSC

This [Offensive term referring to author removed] WROTE 370 PAGES WORTH OF INFORMATION!!!!!!!

Seriously, for one section (Sorry, cant remember the name of it... it may have been parity checks) I decided to compare Davis book to Heinemann and Jacranda...

For this section, Jacaranda wrote about 3 quarters of a page, Heinemann wrote half. Sam Davis wrote 9 PAGES on this section alone, 3 pages of which was a HSC question... so 6 pages worth of crap on this section!!!!

Do teachers not see this when buying us this book? Is Sam Davis a retard for thinking we need this much information?

There is no F'n point memorising 6 pages worth of notes when there is half a page PERFECTLY explaining the concept. Davis does this for 370+ pages!!!!!

/// end rant!
Nice copy paste mate I remember seeing this whole post message in another sdd thread

Want90Atar

HSC
My IPT textbook (658 pages) was also written by Samuel Davis. Tbh I've never really used the textbook to study for my HSC. I mainly used worksheets provided by our teacher as well as notes I had downloaded. Ended up with a band 6.
Can you send me the ipt notes you downloaded

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad

/// end rant!

[Moderator Note: I have edited this post to remove an offensive term used to disparage the author of the book. For the same reason, I have changed the title of the thread to ask if the author is incompetent. It is fine to express negative views on a textbook but I ask everyone to remember to choose appropriate language. Thank you.]
Bruh,
Sam Davis is a beast. His book(s) are amazing! Just his book and nothing else got me a 95 in SDD. It has all the information you will ever need so unlike other books you’ll never have to look around for information that isn’t given. Tbh the people that I’ve seen hating on the book usually don’t get the band 6s. Its quite refreshing to have a book I can trust to have everything. I’ve never been able to trust any other book for any other subject like that.

DheerChoudhury

HSC
My IPT textbook (658 pages) was also written by Samuel Davis. Tbh I've never really used the textbook to study for my HSC. I mainly used worksheets provided by our teacher as well as notes I had downloaded. Ended up with a band 6.
Heeeey bro. Could you possibly email those notes to me? Cheers.

PCNQQn2

HSC
N/A
Something else to consider ... when NESA updated the syllabus for 2012, Sam Davis was the only SDD textbook author (as far as I know) to update his book to reflect the new syllabus. There is not a big market for SDD textbooks, so it showed a commitment to SDD students and teachers to do this.

I also think that detail in a textbook is good. If you're concerned that there is too much information there, speak with your teacher and ask them to help you find the key parts for each syllabus dot point. You could also split the reading with some peers where you produce summaries for each other.

Pink Guy

HSC

This WROTE 370 PAGES WORTH OF INFORMATION!!!!!!!

/// end rant!
ey b0ss he habe cancer

Kothos

HSC

/// end rant!

You're complaining because he spent 3 pages describing a sample HSC question that you're free to ignore? If you don't want to do the question as practice, don't read those three pages. Simple.

expert

HSC
Can I also get the downloaded notes. Cheers & Thanks. My email ID is sharmaroma683@gmail.com

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, these are prelim notes that I wrote, this is around 1/2 of them since a lot I've done is handwritten but if anyone wants notes on other topics that aren't as important I can send :) I've mainly just done notes on information systems in context, information processes, & social and ethical issues. Good luck to everyone doing prelims I believe in us !!
This is a great contribution! I would also recommend uploading your notes to the Notes & Resources section, where they can potentially reach more students. :)

Chiprr

HSC
Hey guys, these are prelim notes that I wrote, this is around 1/2 of them since a lot I've done is handwritten but if anyone wants notes on other topics that aren't as important I can send :) I've mainly just done notes on information systems in context, information processes, & social and ethical issues. Good luck to everyone doing prelims I believe in us !!
I'm genuinely going to have to grind following this. My IPT teacher puts every single thing on stile and we don't get any notes for anything. 90% of my class has done nothing all year and we haven't had any system to follow or take any notes. We haven't got textbooks or anything and my teacher has honestly been useless. He's at least given us 2 of the school's past papers and I genuinely cannot apply half the content we have learned in the year to what's been on the tests.

I'm ecstatic that I'll be able to drop it in term 4 but my school makes us wait until week 3 or 4 before we can even consider dropping bc they ship our results off to get an estimated atar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)