Is short-term memory normal? (1 Viewer)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
xclusv2bhung said:
ssej dw !
you said you were doing well in bio didnt you ?
that requires crazy memory , or so I`ve heard =S
yeah, i'm am doing really well in bio.... BUT.... the study that i do mainly gets imprinted in my short-term memory (mainly coz i cram study the week before the test) ..... and coz i generally don't study/read my notes over a long period of time, it doesn't actually make it into my long-term memmory....

so, my good marks are only dependant on how much i can cram into my brain, like, the day before the test..... and relying on that method ain't gonna get me nowhere in the future.... and if i keep doing that then my marks are so gonna suffer when i get to the actual hsc....

actually, yeah, that's basically how i study for all my subjects - all cramming it in the night before.... i'm surprised i'm not failing or having a mental breakdown....

so, i am attempting to reform as of.... uh.... sometime in the future. lol

Sofstar

HSC
Eat eggs. Apparently that helps with the memory. Or so all those healthy eating things say.

I think you need more sleep too.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Sofstar said:
Eat eggs. Apparently that helps with the memory. Or so all those healthy eating things say.

I think you need more sleep too.
eggs are good. But the only time i ever eat them is with noodles or fried rice... ^_^'

and i actually managed to get a full.... wait for it.... 8 hours sleep last night!!! Not that it makes a difference or anything. i probly still have, like, 50 years of sleep debt built up.... i'm gonna work at that slowly. :)

anothernguyen

HSC
FREAKS! hahaha i'm kidding..every 1 4gets..perfectly normal.

i love food.

what were we talking bout.

Sofstar

HSC
ssejamafone said:
eggs are good. But the only time i ever eat them is with noodles or fried rice... ^_^'
:eek: *will post over scrambled eggs for tomorrows brekky*

My mum tells me walnuts help with memory.....i don't know if that's true though.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Well, I can't remember exactly what the definition for a covalent bond is but I do remember their characteristics such as sharing, relatively less flexible due to the bonding and blablabla. Anyway, what do you really mean by not remembering what a covalent bond is? Do you mean you've completely forgotten it?

The reason I'm asking this is because when I did VCE or HSC, apart from how things worked such as covalent bonding, I also memorised the exact text definition word by word coz I'm a theory person. I find it almost kinda comforting to know the exact definition from text books coz it helps me to revise later on.

So there is no way for me to still remember what exactly a covalent bond is. However, I can apply it with a problem or question if I'm been asked to do. And the point is, when I first learn a theory, I usually master the theory and discard it until I get hold of its practical knowledge.

So you're either do have a bad memory or you're just being too hard on yourself. Maybe you're not using your memory capacity properly with your study. Personally, I find order, logic and sequence very helpful with memorising stuff. For example, I find memorising stuff a lot easier if the chapters are being studied in order and not jumping from place to place like such asshole teachers do.

But forgetting what you had for breakfast in the afternoon is just extreme.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Don't worry, I can remember jack all about the first Chem topic as well (most annoying is trying to remember chemical reactions etc). Doesn't seem too out of the norm.

I just get pissed off due to the huge amount of useless information I can learn about movies or whatever from one glance as compared to going over and over notes. 'Tis a gift, and a curse.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
T-mac01 said:
Well, I can't remember exactly what the definition for a covalent bond is but I do remember their characteristics such as sharing, relatively less flexible due to the bonding and blablabla. Anyway, what do you really mean by not remembering what a covalent bond is? Do you mean you've completely forgotten it?

The reason I'm asking this is because when I did VCE or HSC, apart from how things worked such as covalent bonding, I also memorised the exact text definition word by word coz I'm a theory person. I find it almost kinda comforting to know the exact definition from text books coz it helps me to revise later on.

So there is no way for me to still remember what exactly a covalent bond is. However, I can apply it with a problem or question if I'm been asked to do. And the point is, when I first learn a theory, I usually master the theory and discard it until I get hold of its practical knowledge.

So you're either do have a bad memory or you're just being too hard on yourself. Maybe you're not using your memory capacity properly with your study. Personally, I find order, logic and sequence very helpful with memorising stuff. For example, I find memorising stuff a lot easier if the chapters are being studied in order and not jumping from place to place like such asshole teachers do.

But forgetting what you had for breakfast in the afternoon is just extreme.
ok, i guess i pretty much have my basic knowledge down pat. Like, i know how to apply my basic knowledge. So, yeah, i DO know what a covalent bond is. But, if i were asked on the spot 'describe a covalent bond', then i'd probly be like 'ah, um, errr, ......" ok, i'm a memory-blank kind of person.

and how i described my memory in my first post was, maybe, a bit in the extreme, coz i guess i'm just frustrated with all the stuff that we have to learn, and coz i tend to be more forgetful than the norm, then i just get kinda, yeah, frustrated sometimes... But, i guess this happens to a lot of other people

[Fish Sauce said:
I just get pissed off due to the huge amount of useless information I can learn about movies or whatever from one glance as compared to going over and over notes. 'Tis a gift, and a curse.
haha, yeah. i can quote a line from a movie any day, but i can't quote a line from Shakespeare..... unless it has 'thou art a foul wench' in it somewhere. :D

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
ssejamafone said:
ok, i guess i pretty much have my basic knowledge down pat. Like, i know how to apply my basic knowledge. So, yeah, i DO know what a covalent bond is. But, if i were asked on the spot 'describe a covalent bond', then i'd probly be like 'ah, um, errr, ......" ok, i'm a memory-blank kind of person.

and how i described my memory in my first post was, maybe, a bit in the extreme, coz i guess i'm just frustrated with all the stuff that we have to learn, and coz i tend to be more forgetful than the norm, then i just get kinda, yeah, frustrated sometimes... But, i guess this happens to a lot of other people

haha, yeah. i can quote a line from a movie any day, but i can't quote a line from Shakespeare..... unless it has 'thou art a foul wench' in it somewhere. :D
You sound like someone having trouble being interested in learning. Maybe the reason you forget theories and formulas so easily could be they have never really stayed in your head in the first place.

So ning ning might right, you have a selective memory.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
hey ningning! :wave:

T-mac01 said:
You sound like someone having trouble being interested in learning. Maybe the reason you forget theories and formulas so easily could be they have never really stayed in your head in the first place.

So ning ning might right, you have a selective memory.
woah.... i never actually thought of myself that way.... but now that you mention it..... i guess i really am not that interested in, well, learning.... well, i don't really have any drive or motivation to learn/study. even though my parents put all their hopes on me getting into med and getting a really good uai.... and i really don't want to disappoint them...but, i dunno.... i just don't really.... how do i say it.... feel like learning.... i dunno.... i'm kinda lost right now....

haha. i should be a dole bludger. =D

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
magpam said:
you remind me of me now

before i had ambition though

now im facing reality
yeah, i guess i should get over it and smell the roses (or whatever that means).... ok, from tomorrow onward i shall GET MY ACT TOGETHER!!! but, just give me today to mope around for the last time, k? :eek:

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
ssejamafone said:
yeah, i guess i should get over it and smell the roses (or whatever that means).... ok, from tomorrow onward i shall GET MY ACT TOGETHER!!! but, just give me today to mope around for the last time, k? :eek:
haha you sound like one of my friends and me when I was in middle high.
I became a good boy after year 9 :)

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
ssejamafone said:
Haha, ditto. Then I can also tell you every actor's name, what they've been in, what they will be in, the actors in those movies, sometimes the director, trivia about the movie, crap crap crap.

I'm guessing I have the aforementioned selective memory.

ZJ NingNing

HSC
:mad1: stoopid Ssej!

If you are a reincarnated goldfish then what the hell am I?

You could be something that ate a really forgetful goldfish (aka ZJ NingNing) in your last life. Oh, hang on, pigs dont really eat fish.

Hey, that might be why!!! According to studies, fish REALLY help memmories if you are 0~5 years old. (which you are, if we are talking about mental age). no but trust me, eathing fishes is really helpful with your brain, my parents force fed me heaps when I was little, and you know my parents (you kinda do). But I never really swallowed what they fed me, that is why I am :confused: now and :sleep: for like, 14 hours a day. *glub glub*

So yeah, eat more fishes!!!

but not goldfishes, by the way.

HSC
N/A
bumpity bump.
people say eating fish will improve your memory; iirc, this is nothing short of anecdotal though. is it, or is it not anecdotal?
dha (docosahexaenoic acid), or omega-3 oils, are said to help the brain in sending messages between cells

hurikai is right.
on tv, it's not just television that has reduced short-term memory and whatnot, it is anything technological; yes, tabbed browsing and fast internet speeds have caused, for some, a shortened attention and memory span.

[i myself am exceedingly forgetful and, yes, ditzy. i need sleep; constant, frequent, and regular revision; a better diet; be more responsible; and subject myself to less mind-destroying influences, e.g. television.]

oh, cuz i'm a lazy whore, please give me a short summary of what you consider yourself to 'suffer from' (i can't find a more appropriate term; sorry)
"Seriously, is something wrong with me? coz, i have such short-term memory that i can't even remember what a covalent bond is! (ok, that was kinda extreme, but you get my point)."
i may or may not be able to help you.
thanks for making this thread, btw. :)

ssejamafone said:
i guess i should get over it and smell the roses (or whatever that means)
it pretty much means to take a moment in life to appreciate simple things.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Lucid Scintilla said:
bumpity bump.
people say eating fish will improve your memory; iirc, this is nothing short of anecdotal though. is it, or is it not anecdotal?
dha (docosahexaenoic acid), or omega-3 oils, are said to help the brain in sending messages between cells

hurikai is right.
on tv, it's not just television that has reduced short-term memory and whatnot, it is anything technological; yes, tabbed browsing and fast internet speeds have caused, for some, a shortened attention and memory span.

[i myself am exceedingly forgetful and, yes, ditzy. i need sleep; constant, frequent, and regular revision; a better diet; be more responsible; and subject myself to less mind-destroying influences, e.g. television.]

oh, cuz i'm a lazy whore, please give me a short summary of what you consider yourself to 'suffer from' (i can't find a more appropriate term; sorry)
"Seriously, is something wrong with me? coz, i have such short-term memory that i can't even remember what a covalent bond is! (ok, that was kinda extreme, but you get my point)."
i may or may not be able to help you.
thanks for making this thread, btw. :)
k, summary: I am very forgetful in general. I find it hard to recall/memorise notes and information, and on top of that i also have a relatively short attention span and tend to get distracted easily (so, maybe that kinda contributes to my forgetfullness).

But, as T-mac01 said, the info that i learn probably never really stays in my head in the first place.

As for TV, i watch very rarely - maybe once a week, for an hour or so.

And, i actually eat a lot more fish than average (thanks, in part, to my background), but i guess i could always eat more.....

Lucid Scintilla said:
it pretty much means to take a moment in life to appreciate simple things.
oh, oppsies. ^^' i didnt know it meant that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)