Is Society and Culture an interesting subject? (1 Viewer)

HSC
For those who have done, I'm in Yr 10 and want to do it in for Year 11. What topics do they cover in the premilinary course?

HSC
Hello!

It's been a while since I did SOC, but I can tell you that I personally found it wonderful and it was one of the best subjects to prepare me for university life. I would definately recommend this subject if you're planning on doing an arts of social science related course in university.

Here is a copy of the syllabus:

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/society-culture-st6-syl-from2010.pdf

I can't tell you exactly what you'll learn in year 11 because ultimately your teacher will decide. But from recollection year 11 is mostly learning the basic concepts (see pg. 21 onwards). It's not a particularly difficult year, so you'll mostly be spening your time getting used to the procedures and nature of the subject.

jnney

lemon
HSC
You need to experience this for yourself. Remember that you can always make amendments to your subject choices if you decide to change your mind. Inevitably your perspective on a subject will always differ from anothers.

Personally, i started off with all social science subjects - i was topping year ten with history anyway and i thought, why not. I had also chosen society and culture. I thought this would be my favourite subject. Id heard so many good things about it. The first few lessons were great, it was nothing like id ever learnt at school before. But my passion for soc and social science changed very quickly. It came to think, 'why do i need to learn about the definition of power? Why do i need to 'analyse' a pop song?' everything started to soun ridiculous to me. It simply was not what i expected. So i reverted to science.

I suggest you review some of the materials from students in year 11 or 12. Happy studying !

Last edited:
HSC
Yes I agree with jnney. You won't know if it's for you until you try it out in year 11. Some may find the content hideously tedious and inconsequential, while others will find it thought provoking. Again, I personally found this subject really helpful in getting myself used to a lot of the ideas and things I was learning in UNI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)