• Got a question on how to use our new website? Check out our user guide here!

Is Standard English really an Atar killer and should i do advance instead? (1 Viewer)

Jigmey

HSC
Subject selections are coming up this term and I'll have to make a daring decision whether to choose Standard or Advanced English. I'm aiming for an Atar of 80 but have heard that Standard murders your Atar and isn't that significantly easier than advanced. My essays skills are quite excellent as I have been getting consistent marks of high marks in the 90s for subjects like History and Commerce. I've also been noticing through research that more students are getting band 6s in Advanced, which is evident in my school where over 50% attained a band 6 and a further 45% attained a band 5, whilst only 3 students attained a band 6 in standard. Is standard truly an Atar killer?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you get a choice to choose Advanced English, the difficulty between Standard and Advanced is similar however as you observed the aligning is different. A band 6 calibre Standard student I suspect would be able to get a band 6 in Advanced (and find it easier to do so). Additionally, I suspect if you want a more studious environment, Advanced English is more likely to offer it. Most highly ranked private/highly ranked selective have Advanced English as the default option, which I suspect also signals that Advanced is the better option for most capable students to pursue.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I believe state wide the stats are fairly similar to your school - band 6s are rare in standard.

I'd definitely recommend taking advanced if you are getting an ATAR.

Bob Jane

HSC
If you're aiming for an ATAR over 80 go for adv. english

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)