Is the HSC as hard as the Maths Comp (1 Viewer)

mtsmahia

HSC
I was just wandering if the HSC is at the same level as he 2008 Westpac Maths Comp...If so ...ill have to work harder!!

Thanks

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I doubt it.

The Maths Competition is testing you on problem solving and basically stuff you haven't really studied for. Whereas with the HSC, they test you on things that are in the syllabus and practically everything you've learnt at school in year 12.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
The HSC doesn't focus on the type of problem solving questions that the Maths Comp does. The Maths Comp expects u 2 find patterns and use logic, whereas the HSC papers involve applying formulae u've learned over Stage 6

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Why not?

Q9 & 10 of the Mathematics questions usually involve a question where you have to apply a in-depth mathematical knowledge.

Same thing applies to Q 6 & 7 of the Mathematics Extension 1

And this also applies generally throughout the Mathematics Extension 2.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
Why not?

Q9 & 10 of the Mathematics questions usually involve a question where you have to apply a in-depth mathematical knowledge.

Same thing applies to Q 6 & 7 of the Mathematics Extension 1

And this also applies generally throughout the Mathematics Extension 2.
Don't scare me now Namu.

I think the HSC would be much more easier and doable than the Maths Comp.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
The HSC tests your ability to learn a particular body of knowledge (the syllabus).

The Maths comp is more a test of general mathematical knowledge. If you know some elementary number theory, basic Euclidean geometry, and counting methods (none of which is taught at school, usually) then the Maths comp questions are usually tractable. (I have to say, that last one on the senior paper was a bit of a shocker, though.)

bored of sc

HSC
No. The maths competition is just that: a competition. They don't expect you to complete all the questions let alone get them right.

In the HSC, it is an examination which you can study for. You can learn fromulas and skills/techniques which help you in solving the problems. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)