Is the Maths in Focus textbook sufficient for someone aiming for a high mark? (1 Viewer)

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Hi everyone. I am currently in year 11 and will be starting year 12 shortly, I intend on taking 4U maths. I have recently been doing some research into textbooks, and have seen many people say that the Maths in Focus textbooks are not very good. These textbooks are what my school uses (for context; my school is a low ranking, rural public school, we usually get 1-3 band 6's at most each year, and I don't think we've ever had a band 6 in any level of maths), and I'm worried that this textbook may limit the type of questions I am exposed to. Is it worth getting a "harder" textbook as well (I've heard that cambridge is good), or would MiF suffice? Thanks.

carrotsss

HSC
As a fellow year 11 who’s in a similar situation (school uses MIF, I bought Cambridge as well), I’d recommend you get Cambridge at least. Although it can be a bit annoying trying to find the relevant Cambridge chapter every lesson, I find the questions much more challenging and enjoyable.

idkkdi

HSC
Hi everyone. I am currently in year 11 and will be starting year 12 shortly, I intend on taking 4U maths. I have recently been doing some research into textbooks, and have seen many people say that the Maths in Focus textbooks are not very good. These textbooks are what my school uses (for context; my school is a low ranking, rural public school, we usually get 1-3 band 6's at most each year, and I don't think we've ever had a band 6 in any level of maths), and I'm worried that this textbook may limit the type of questions I am exposed to. Is it worth getting a "harder" textbook as well (I've heard that cambridge is good), or would MiF suffice? Thanks.
if u've properly done cambridge u should be able to band 6

dsakvyilsa

HSC
As a fellow year 11 who’s in a similar situation (school uses MIF, I bought Cambridge as well), I’d recommend you get Cambridge at least. Although it can be a bit annoying trying to find the relevant Cambridge chapter every lesson, I find the questions much more challenging and enjoyable.
I think I'm gonna go for Cambridge!!!! Unless I get a better suggestion. My school used Cambridge for 7-10, but for some reason they use In Focus for 11-12 🤔

idkkdi

HSC
Do you think Cambridge is the "best" for 4U?
yes, for both 3u and 4u.
I think I'm gonna go for Cambridge!!!! Unless I get a better suggestion. My school used Cambridge for 7-10, but for some reason they use In Focus for 11-12 🤔
do note that, it's going to be a bit of a struggle and a pretty large jump if u use in focus for 3u y11 and y12.

in focus is quite rote when compared to cambridge, especially the enrichment/extension qs in cambridge which u should attempt.

i would recommend completely switching all maths to cambridge if ur taking 4u.

Vall

HSC
Add my vote for Cambridge too. And with the enrichment questions you definitely don’t need to be able solve all of them to get band 6 (some of them are way harder than anything we’ll get in HSC)

dsakvyilsa

HSC
yes, for both 3u and 4u.

do note that, it's going to be a bit of a struggle and a pretty large jump if u use in focus for 3u y11 and y12.

in focus is quite rote when compared to cambridge, especially the enrichment/extension qs in cambridge which u should attempt.

i would recommend completely switching all maths to cambridge if ur taking 4u.
would it be necessary to get the y12 advanced textbook as well as the ext 1 & 2 textbooks? Or could I just get the two extension textbooks and use in focus for advanced.

carrotsss

HSC
Same here, it’s really strange
would it be necessary to get the y12 advanced textbook as well as the ext 1 & 2 textbooks? Or could I just get the two extension textbooks and use in focus for advanced.
I don’t know about the yr 12 textbooks but the yr11 extension textbook includes all the advanced stuff

Also +1 for the enrichment questions, they’re really fun

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you want to do 4U Maths, you cannot rely on MIF text alone. In fact, to do 4U, you need higher order capabilities. Whilst your school may adopt MIF, you must supplement yourself with textbooks with more solid treatment and more challenging exercises, like Cambridge.

If you are getting current Edition Cambridge texts, you don't need to get ones for Advanced. Get ones for Ext1 & Ext2 only.

By the way, I have multiple copies of Cambridge textbooks for earlier syllabus, going cheap.

chilli 412

oo la la
HSC
Yes i recommend the cambridge textbooks, they go more in depth than MiF in my opinion.

idkkdi

HSC
cambridge ext 1 books includes advanced content

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)