Is the Rose Bay Secondary College selective stream any good? (1 Viewer)

schweppes95

HSC
N/A
Or should i just go to my local comprehensive and transfer to a fully selective in year8/9/10..etc? Is it worth travelling there if you live an 1.5 hour + away?

Last edited:

Fiction

HSC
honestly you can do well in any school and that travel time is somewhat... unpleasant. That being said, I have friends who travel 2-3 hours a day back to go back and forth from school. Keep in mind that should you have any EC in the morning or any morning class, you're gonna have to wake up real early :/ IMO 1.5 hours traveling is a waste of time.

If you think you can own your current cohort, don't transfer. ;)

schweppes95

HSC
N/A
ah, its not for me haha but a friend of mine who hasnt started high school yet...what about friends in the local area. Wouldnt going to school so far away sort of, i dunno..ruin your ability to mature? Like well rounded etc? Surely rarely having friends over after school and all that stuff would be hard on the kid

Fiction

HSC
ah, its not for me haha but a friend of mine who hasnt started high school yet...what about friends in the local area. Wouldnt going to school so far away sort of, i dunno..ruin your ability to mature? Like well rounded etc? Surely rarely having friends over after school and all that stuff would be hard on the kid
Nah cuz public transport ~usually~ takes longer than having your parents pick you up. The student basically can hitch a ride from friend's parents or vice versa, also western, northern suburbs have trains and apparently it's easier to travel on them. They can meet at a common destination etc. Not all friends come from schools anyways. Your friend would prolly have ECs from local areas and make friends there.

It's not going to ruin your friend's ability to mature, anyone can mature - it's just wasting time i.e travel time, which could be better spent elsewhere.

Selective schools are overated anyways. I go to a top 15 selective school, and although I haven't attended a comprehensive non-selective high school before, I can tell you that in yrs 7-9 no one tries lewl. In year 11, I'm only starting to see an increase in concerned students with marks. That being said, generally as you go up in terms of school rankings, you have more students stressed out about marks. I have a friend who goes to top 5 selective school - the cohort has had people like literally crying over bad marks since year 8/9 ish.

You're better off transferring in year 10 or 11 to save (travel) time. That being said, it's easier to make friends in year 7/8

Ultimately it comes down to learning preference. If your friend thrives in a ~more~ competitive environment, go for it. If he/she prefers (and is confident) about dominating their cohort in a comprehensive school, then don't bother.

enoilgam

HSC
I'm not really a big fan of partially selective schools, mainly because they have to cater for two distinct groups of students and it seems to be a difficult balancing act. I have a student who goes to a partially selective school and the school is without question the most poorly organised and dysfunctional educational institution I have ever seen (I'm not beeing overly dramatic, it is bad beyond belief, a monkey with brain damage could do a better job). I'm not sure whether it is the school or the fact that it is partially selective, but the teaching is just chaotic and seems to operate without logic. One example would be a maths exam where they told students "We are going to include this topic in the exam, but we wont teach it because it is way beyond your level and too hard for you to understand". I have other students who go to poorly ranked comprehensives and those schools seem pretty well organised, certainly better than the partially selective school.

schweppes95

HSC
N/A
Yeh i see what you mean, what about subject choices (year 9/10 and year 11/12) the 'selective stream' goes out the window then doesnt it?

User5555555

HSC
Stay where you're comfortable. As long as you get the ranks you deserve and do your best, its all that matters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)