Is the University of Western Sydney really as bad as people make it out to be? (1 Viewer)

-Anfernee-

HSC
Is the University of Western Sydney really as bad as people make it out to be?

No......It's actually a lot worse.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
BigPole said:
It's weird, most people who say UWS is bad are either still doing their HSC or have never studied at UWS.
I consulted with experts in Australian tertiary education before forming an opinion on the worth of a degree from UWS. Based on my research I found a general consensus among leading academics that UWS is rubbish.

sannous1

HSC
Myself personally, wouldnt want to go to uws, id rather prefer lik usyd or uts, but hey its a univeristy, and as long as ur doin the course u enjoy, dosnt realli matter. I mean at the end of the day u still get a diploma and get a job wherever.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
BigPole said:
It's weird, most people who say UWS is bad are either still doing their HSC or have never studied at UWS.
Take note of this if you are contemplating UWS. BigPole is right, before you even think taking someone's advice on UWS check them out, whether they have even been there, if they are just an 08'er mouthing off about something someone has told them or the person's sources.

The sad thing is most people are quick to accept what people who have no idea are talking about rather than listening to what people like me say. I have been there and I have been somewhere else, I can compare it to something else.

I can tell you, it does have something to offer, is good in some areas, may not have the best rep but in the end some of its benefits will outweigh it. You will not be discriminated against when you transfer to another uni and most of all university is what YOU make of it!

Evilo

HSC
melsc said:
I can tell you, it does have something to offer, is good in some areas, may not have the best rep but in the end some of its benefits will outweigh it. You will not be discriminated against when you transfer to another uni and most of all university is what YOU make of it!
+1

but still, UWS ... lol

DTFM

HSC
i heard that if you go to uws you come out stupider lol

-Anfernee-

HSC
melsc said:
From your signature , I've noticed that you were once at UWS.

If it is indeed a decent university to study at. Why did you end up making the switch to Macquarie University?

DTFM

HSC
-Anfernee- said:

If it is indeed a decent university to study at. Why did you end up making the switch to Macquarie University?
What are you, stupid? She was doing combined law; I'm fairly sure she would have had to have gone to two or three different campuses. Too much hassle. That's one of the actual downsides of UWS.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
-Anfernee- said:

I am not saying it is fantastic, what I am saying is to check your sources before you start believing many of the people who mouth off about UWS here. There were many reasons behind my decision to leave.

1. Travelling, I had to travel between Bankstown and Paramatta campus' which could take over an hour most days which meant the classes often clashed. Then when I started taking electives for arts some were at Penrith and Hawksbury only which meant I could have been at 4 campus' in any one semester.

2. The attitude of other law students - many were lazy and not interested in the course - thus I wasn't challenged and they made it feel like high school. That said, not all my classes were like that and it had a lot to do with that years cohort.

3. The attitude of academics who taught down because we were supposedly more stupid students, many students at UWS particularly those on scholarships were very intelligent and didn't deserve to be treated like that. That said there are some academics at mac that are worse!

4. The lack of money the uni has - parking was a big problem as well as textbooks only having copies at some of the libraries etc...

Despite all that the representation that most people give "its a glorified tafe" etc... are ridiculous! First of all you end up with a degree! second, there is nothing wrong with going to tafe, its just a different style of learning and they teach more practical things.

There are many good points about UWS:
1. practical focus, in law the focus on the practical nature of law rather than the philsophical nature which is something I miss now at Mac

2. The campus and facilities are fairly new and they are trying to improve

3. Some of the academics are fantastic and better than I have experienced at mac, that said all uni's have their good and bad academics

4. they use the same textbooks as other uni's (esp in law) and the course is not that different (after all courses like law have to teach the same things) .

5. people are friendly and a lot less pretentious than those at other uni's

DTFM said:
What are you, stupid? She was doing combined law; I'm fairly sure she would have had to have gone to two or three different campuses. Too much hassle. That's one of the actual downsides of UWS.
This was a big factor in my decision

In the end make your own decision, I am not going to tell you that it is the best uni around, or that it doesn't have its downsides. Just make sure you aren't taking advice from some HSC kiddie who thinks its bad because it is in Western Sydney and has heard daddy say its bad.

Its like people who tell you things that aren't brand name are crap when they haven't tried it for themselves.

I am currently employed by a two barristers (one of whom is an SC(QC)) and they didn't even care about the fact that I was previously at UWS, they were just curious about the university as it is pretty new in terms of law grads.

Good luck all those deciding on uni's and there's always the transfer option!

monzi

HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
what uni u go to does make a difference if you are going for an elitist job/industry and ultimately as Consp pointed out if you have an opp to go to a better rep uni which has a similar or better quality course for what you want to do then why wouldn't u go for the better repn.

Also the Mallesons point is redundant simply because there always will be exceptions and just because someone got in from "x" university doesn't mean it was easy to get there/possible to mimic by someone else. Not to say someone from UWS can't but it may be more difficult to get into a top firm . As ultimately if 2 candidates had similar experience and similar marks- one went to USYD other from UWS you'd prob find the USYD candidate would get a preference at least to get to the int stage.
That is not true at all. I've been working in the legal profession for a while, and I've met Barristers and partners from 'Top Tier Firms' - When I've actually been given the chance to speak to these people about different universities and employment opportunities, they said they would not discriminate when it comes to which university you attended.

One barrister in particular told me, it takes so much more then results, you need to have personality, a great attitude and extra curricular activities.

Not all of the top lawyers in top tier firms went to USYD, UTS or UNSW. It's just a nasty generalisation. I can say this, because I've heard it from the horses mouth.

Charizard

HSC
To be honest, of course they would say that. They are unlikely to openly admit they discriminate based on uni.

I think its pretty much common knowledge that some discrimination still occurs. Not as much as maybe 20 years ago, but it's pretty naive to suggest a UWS degree will be treated as = USYD/UNSW degree.

That said, there is probably worse things you could do with you life then get a UWS degree. Like a UNCLE degree.

piitb

HSC
lots of these old school partners of firms dont really give a shit, u think they do, but really they just have to like you, which comes down to your personality.

u first have to get through the HR staff, which is easy so long as you got the grades, its the partners who will ultimalty say yes or no. so win him over and u got a job.

HSC
monzi said:
That is not true at all. I've been working in the legal profession for a while, and I've met Barristers and partners from 'Top Tier Firms' - When I've actually been given the chance to speak to these people about different universities and employment opportunities, they said they would not discriminate when it comes to which university you attended.

One barrister in particular told me, it takes so much more then results, you need to have personality, a great attitude and extra curricular activities.

Not all of the top lawyers in top tier firms went to USYD, UTS or UNSW. It's just a nasty generalisation. I can say this, because I've heard it from the horses mouth.
I didn't say it's impossible but its more difficult if you didn't go to the better unis. Might be exceptions to law but I'd imagine a USYD law degree still has far more weight than a UWS law degree at recruitment if candidates are similar(at least in the application stage part).

However for business- IB(pretty darn hard to get into anyway) it gets near impossible for a UWS grad to have any chance. Essentially it comes down to- if you have a chance to go to a better university in terms of reputation and arguably teaching quality(never went to UWS so cannot comment on this) why would you go to UWS?

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
melsc said:
I am not saying it is fantastic, what I am saying is to check your sources before you start believing many of the people who mouth off about UWS here. There were many reasons behind my decision to leave.

1. Travelling, I had to travel between Bankstown and Paramatta campus' which could take over an hour most days which meant the classes often clashed. Then when I started taking electives for arts some were at Penrith and Hawksbury only which meant I could have been at 4 campus' in any one semester.

2. The attitude of other law students - many were lazy and not interested in the course - thus I wasn't challenged and they made it feel like high school. That said, not all my classes were like that and it had a lot to do with that years cohort.

3. The attitude of academics who taught down because we were supposedly more stupid students, many students at UWS particularly those on scholarships were very intelligent and didn't deserve to be treated like that. That said there are some academics at mac that are worse!

4. The lack of money the uni has - parking was a big problem as well as textbooks only having copies at some of the libraries etc...

Despite all that the representation that most people give "its a glorified tafe" etc... are ridiculous! First of all you end up with a degree! second, there is nothing wrong with going to tafe, its just a different style of learning and they teach more practical things.

There are many good points about UWS:
1. practical focus, in law the focus on the practical nature of law rather than the philsophical nature which is something I miss now at Mac

2. The campus and facilities are fairly new and they are trying to improve

3. Some of the academics are fantastic and better than I have experienced at mac, that said all uni's have their good and bad academics

4. they use the same textbooks as other uni's (esp in law) and the course is not that different (after all courses like law have to teach the same things) .

5. people are friendly and a lot less pretentious than those at other uni's

This was a big factor in my decision

In the end make your own decision, I am not going to tell you that it is the best uni around, or that it doesn't have its downsides. Just make sure you aren't taking advice from some HSC kiddie who thinks its bad because it is in Western Sydney and has heard daddy say its bad.

Its like people who tell you things that aren't brand name are crap when they haven't tried it for themselves.

I am currently employed by a two barristers (one of whom is an SC(QC)) and they didn't even care about the fact that I was previously at UWS, they were just curious about the university as it is pretty new in terms of law grads.

Good luck all those deciding on uni's and there's always the transfer option!
From what you have summarised, TAFE is the best option than going to UWS ;)

Demandred

HSC
It seems a lot of people go on the presumption that UWS is the foremost amongst the tertiary instutitions and that an institution's reputation alone would get you to a top tier law/investment bank/management consultancy etc...

UWS is designed to cater for the Greater Western Sydney area and it does a good job at it. Sure the people may not be polished as those attending UTS/Usyd/UNSW, but it is there to provide an education to those who didn't score 80+ UAI (or scored in the high 90s for a prestigous law degree). It is heavily focused on teaching rather than cutting edge research, and this is perhaps why its often ranked fairly badly (or not even ranked at all) amongst international rankings.

Having been to UWS and Usyd, I could say that you may be a bit disadvantaged in terms of reputation, but there's nothing good marks and good character wouldn't fix. I have met some great lecturers and professors at UWS, enjoyed a much more pratical programme of teaching, and I found the people are less pretenious. Sure it may not have Oxford-esque buildings or a subtle atmosphere of prestige on its grounds, but it UWS does at good job and would allow you to get somewhere.

The university is okay, but there simply better ones out there.

edit: Is anyone getting a vibe that those bagging UWS seems to be overcompensating using their highly prized UAI/high school/uni degree?

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
Demandred said:
edit: Is anyone getting a vibe that those bagging UWS seems to be overcompensating using their highly prized UAI/high school/uni degree?
no, my uai wasnt that great.

but uws....lol.

-Anfernee-

HSC
Demandred said:
The university is okay, but there simply better ones out there.

Yeah, their highly prized uni degree, you mean like the ones that you're so proud of in your signature...so proud in fact that you had to include ( with distinction) for your Econ UWS degree.

BEc University of Western Sydney (With Distinction)
LLB University of Sydney

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)