Is the University of Western Sydney really as bad as people make it out to be? (1 Viewer)

HSC
MJ-47 said:
My Sister recieved this offer for twenty grand to do a Medicine Course with UWS. she is really excited by it but in my opinion I feel sorry for her as i see it as little more than a bribe.

This is because my sis has the potential to reach a UAI of over a 100
which implies that she could get into a university with a high reputation for excellence as well as a first rate education and hands on experience. this would be at USYD and UNSW

But now she feels compelled to go to UWS cause they are forcing money down her throat.

I also understand that many graduates of medicine at UWS have real trouble finding work early in their career and that it isn't until they recieve more experience and recomendations that they are considered for higher positions where as UNSW or USYD applicants find few obstacles standing in their paths

If any1 has any advice about my sis please post.
thks
Cool story bro

MJ-47

HSC
rcr4fags said:
are you fucken stupid? how many years has med been at UWS? there hasnt even been any med graduates from UWS yet.

and all med students start off at the same level.
yes u are right...soz mis typed ...is corrected now..soz for any offence caused

MJ-47

HSC
My Sister recieved this offer for twenty grand to do a Medicine Course with UWS. she is really excited by it but in my opinion I feel sorry for her as i see it as little more than a bribe.

which implies that she could get into a university with a high reputation for excellence as well as a first rate education and hands on experience. this would be at USYD and UNSW

But now she feels compelled to go to UWS cause they are forcing money down her throat.

I also understand that many graduates at UWS have real trouble finding work early in their career and that it isn't until they recieve more experience and recomendations that they are considered for higher positions where as UNSW or USYD applicants find few obstacles standing in their paths. this isnt because the uni of west syd is inferior, it is because we live in an aristocratic society where reputation and prestige are put ahead of personal circumstances

thks

candygore

HSC
i guess it's because of the low cut-off for the courses which sometimes convinces (esp. the parents) to think it is a shit uni. some may say it's a shithole because of the building and things like that..but really, which uni you go is not the most important thing. you should go where it has a best education and reputation for a certain subject, such as macquarie is well known for business and stuff.

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
MJ-47 said:

I also understand that many graduates at UWS have real trouble finding work early in their career and that it isn't until they recieve more experience and recomendations that they are considered for higher positions where as UNSW or USYD applicants find few obstacles standing in their paths. this isnt because the uni of west syd is inferior, it is because we live in an aristocratic society where reputation and prestige are put ahead of personal circumstances

thks
if your sister got over 100 (?) then i'm sure she would have absolutly NO problem of getting a job.

so i dont think you should worry about her or discourage her from making her uni experience any les enjoyable.

in fact it, would be a lot better for her not having finacial worries and being a "poor uni student" during her five year.

lets see:

UAI of over 100: fuck yeah
scholarship for 4k a year: fuck yeah
accepted into UWS medicine: fuck yeah

i guess its all about how u see life as half empty or half full.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
MJ-47 I think she automatically recieves an Academic Excellence Scholarship based on her UAI and her lisiting of UWS as one of her UAC preferences.

At the end of the day medicine is medicine, you will be putting M.B.B.S on your buisness card and hardly anyone will ask you what school you went to, etc. But the scholarship money certainly helps, especially in these times.

rcr4fags said:
are you fucken stupid? how many years has med been at UWS? there hasnt even been any med graduates from UWS yet.

and all med students start off at the same level.
Please refrain from swearing.

Last edited:

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
An M.B.B.S from any Australian university is a great qualification. Australia (like most Westernised nations) has stringent regulations in the medical industry so our universities
have to provide coursework and clinical practice which will ensure graduates are able to comply with these regulations. So I don't think doing an M.B.B.S at UWS will be damaging, especially considering there is a shortage of Australian trained doctors.

The university you go to only becomes a crucial issue if you are going into an area which is either unregulated (humanities type fields) or overpopulated (law, commerce, psychology are examples which spring to mind), where "prestige" often becomes crucial, UNSW and USyd will usually win here because they are more well-established than UWS. However, having said that, if you are a quality graduate, you will get a good job irrespective of the university you attended.

Muchi

HSC
Hey! The UAI is an academic rank not ur marks so some people with not so great uais choose to go to uws because they want to do something they enjoy as they didnt get the mark to go to a more prestigious university. I wanna do b.com (media arts & production) at uws coz my uais in the 70s and so when transferring u can do something thats similar to your initial course so u dont feel too left out, confused etc. for all of u dissing UWS stop it! I went to visit the university at penrith and its g8! the people are warm/friendly, theres helpful/clever and willing teachers to answer your questions (i felt welcome and it was easy to approach people) and theres more than adequate amount of resources! i think what u make of the university and what u acheive is more important than which university you go to because doing something u love is more important to me than worrying about prestige etc. besides employers arent gonna even care which university u go to if ur course is aligned and somewhat identical to a course at a better uni, its just they'd expect high grades. for those who are gonna diss me for getting around 70s, well u dont automatically judge me by my uai, its just an index, i was clueless about scaling etc. those of u who choose to be condescending and dismissive to what all of us uws future students/current students we'll see what happens! i mean u dont have to think were idiots and havent learn anything much in life in comparison to u snooty snobs due to ur friggen uais. The people whom are more deferential, go us!

lionking1191

HSC
Muchi said:
Hey! The UAI is an academic rank not ur marks so some people with not so great uais choose to go to uws because they want to do something they enjoy as they didnt get the mark to go to a more prestigious university. I wanna do b.com (media arts & production) at uws coz my uais in the 70s and so when transferring u can do something thats similar to your initial course so u dont feel too left out, confused etc. for all of u dissing UWS stop it! I went to visit the university at penrith and its g8! the people are warm/friendly, theres helpful/clever and willing teachers to answer your questions (i felt welcome and it was easy to approach people) and theres more than adequate amount of resources! i think what u make of the university and what u acheive is more important than which university you go to because doing something u love is more important to me than worrying about prestige etc. besides employers arent gonna even care which university u go to if ur course is aligned and somewhat identical to a course at a better uni, its just they'd expect high grades. for those who are gonna diss me for getting around 70s, well u dont automatically judge me by my uai, its just an index, i was clueless about scaling etc. those of u who choose to be condescending and dismissive to what all of us uws future students/current students we'll see what happens! i mean u dont have to think were idiots and havent learn anything much in life in comparison to u snooty snobs due to ur friggen uais. The people whom are more deferential, go us!
paragraphs please

leon4u

HSC
Muchi said:

well said!

EvilElmo

HSC
Muchi said:
tl;dr

cxlxoxk

HSC
Hey! The UAI is an academic rank not ur marks. True.

Some people with not so great uais choose to go to uws because they want to do something they enjoy as they didnt get the mark to go to a more prestigious university. In other words, they went shit.

I wanna do b.com (media arts & production) at uws coz my uais in the 70s and so when transferring u can do something thats similar to your initial course so u dont feel too left out, confused etc. Good for you.

For all of u dissing UWS stop it! I don't diss it out, i just think it is a university for people who got not so great uais (like me @ 67.95 - i'm probably going to have to go there) and/or who didn't do too well in their HSC..

I went to visit the university at penrith and its g8! the people are warm/friendly. Subjective.

There's helpful/clever and willing teachers to answer your questions (i felt welcome and it was easy to approach people) Again, subjective.

Theres more than adequate amount of resources! Oh really, we'll i'll guess i'll find out (if I end up going to UWS).

I think what you make of the university and what u acheive is more important than which university you go to because doing something u love is more important to me than worrying about prestige etc. True.

Besides employers arent gonna even care which university u go to, if your course is aligned and somewhat identical to a course at a better uni. It's just they'd expect high grades.

Assumption (you are not an employer).

For those who are gonna diss me for getting around 70s. I won't seeing as i got lower.

Well u don't automatically judge me by my uai, its just an index, i was clueless about scaling etc. Yes, true UAI means shit all once you are actually inside university.

Those of u who choose to be condescending and dismissive to what all of us uws future students/current students we'll see what happens! Yes, only time will truly tell.

I mean you don't have to think were idiots and havent learn anything much in life in comparison to u snooty snobs due to ur friggen uais.

Subjective, some people who do get low UAIs really do get them because they don't work much and/or are "idiots".

The people whom are more deferential, go us! Yeah, I don't like people who have no consideration for the feelings of others!

Dannielle@3

HSC
N/A
I can't wait to go to UWS :)

My partner went to UWS and is second year graduate. He is on 87,000 a year, almost 37,000 more than his best friend who went to USYD and they had very similar marks, obviously doing the same degree.

cxlxoxk

HSC
Dannielle@3 said:

My partner went to UWS and is second year graduate. He is on 87,000 a year, almost 37,000 more than his best friend who went to USYD and they had very similar marks, obviously doing the same degree.
Same, any uni, is better than none!

Muchi

HSC
cxlxoxk: sorry to u and others for my long paragraphs, im an impulsive writer but i'll put it away in this discussion.

Yeah, im subjective, thats why im doing communications, not maths! No im not an employer but according to the dia a 4 year degree with high achieving grades is good and qualified work experience. Awww thats mean, doesnt mean their idiots, in my case i studied last minute so i should count my blessings but some studied a lot and well got lower than me and some of my classmates. Maybe they didnt have good time management, a study system, the motiavation or their resources were scarce/inadequate, who knows.

Dannielle@3: thats wonderful to hear! im excited and yeah i think the degree has flexibility.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
cowamooners said:
Declined it, because i simply do not want to go to this university.
Your loss.

It's nice to see SOME people using common sense in this thread. Your performance at any university will matter much more than how far east the university is located, or whether the buildings are brick or sandstone.

My sister starts her PhD soon. She went to UWS herself - graduated with distinction, got a dean's medal, was awarded two scholarships for USyd and UWS, part of the Golden Key society, got first class honours, about to be published academically...did I mention she went to UWS :p? She certainly didn't "go shit" did she?

Candygore pretty much hit the nail on the head though, universities should be considered for their strengths in their individual schools. I didn't think Mac was strong in post grad business though, because my dad chose UWS over MGSM for his MBA after comparing the two.

trickx

HSC
Dannielle@3 said:

Second year graduate with 87, 000 salary? I strongly doubt that.

colinl

HSC
N/A
yea i agree wat cxlxoxk says about the uai
(doesn't mean much wen ur in uni)

nottellingu

HSC
Dannielle@3 said:

you hsc 2009....your partner 2nd year graduate....:rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)