Is there a significant difference between a 66-credit average and 71-credit average?? (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
Like in terms of getting a job in the big 4 or mid tier accounting firms etc...

Is there a significant difference between 66-credit average and a 71-credit average.

Can we be dead honest here please.

Frostbitten

HSC
Re: Is there a significant difference between a 66-credit average and 71-credit avera

What uni do you go to? I am curious about the answer for this question as well...

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Is there a significant difference between a 66-credit average and 71-credit avera

No not really considering both are a credit average.

Only disadvantage some graduate schemes might ask for 70 or 75 and above, and clearly a mark of 66 doesn't meet that criteria.

That being said, you would be disadvantaged with a lower mark regardless because when applying for jobs you want to show your strength, and lower marks don't show that! :p

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad

Well if you're planning on getting a job with the big 4 or a mid-tier accounting firm..having an average of 71 would most likely increase your chances.

Plenty of graduates have applied with an average mark of 66 and most of them were unsuccessful at the larger firms.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

I guess it depends on whether you are using WAM or GPA on your application. GPA - no, it doesn't matter. It will be the same regardless of the mark. But if you are using WAM then obviously the higher the mark the better.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

GPA - no, it doesn't matter. It will be the same regardless of the mark.
I'd say a WAM of 66 is unlikely to be a credit average by GPA.

theloorloor

HSC
N/A

I think noone still hasnt directly answered the question.

The reason is both 71 and 66 are technically a credit average in terms of WAM. Usually you write, distinction,credit,HD etc,, on your CV. As a result ultimately since its the same it is not of significant difference?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

I think noone still hasnt directly answered the question.

The reason is both 71 and 66 are technically a credit average in terms of WAM. Usually you write, distinction,credit,HD etc,, on your CV. As a result ultimately since its the same it is not of significant difference?
Usually you provide your WAM or GPA.

theloorloor

HSC
N/A

ALso what kinda jobs can you get with those grades in a straight out commerce degree majoring in accounting and finance???

Can you get into big 4 with those marks?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

Usually you provide your WAM or GPA.
Is it just conventionally one or the other? Or can you include both?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

There's no real convention considering that the systems differ between universities.

Including one or the other is fine unless it is otherwise specified.

D94

HSC
N/A

GPA isn't standardised, so a GPA of say 3/4 may be different to a GPA of 3/4 at another uni. WAM isn't even standardised (but more standardised than GPA) since some universities have a different range for HD, D, C etc. which may result in a different WAM had the uni used different ranges for each grade. It's probably better to use the main system which your university uses.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
GPA isn't standardised, so a GPA of say 3/4 may be different to a GPA of 3/4 at another uni. WAM isn't even standardised (but more standardised than GPA) since some universities have a different range for HD, D, C etc. which may result in a different WAM had the uni used different ranges for each grade. It's probably better to use the main system which your university uses.
How does the university's range for grades matter for WAM? WAM only depends on the mark and number of credit points (or equivalent).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

How does the university's range for grades matter for WAM? WAM only depends on the mark and number of credit points (or equivalent).
Not the WAM itself, but the grade average it is associated with. (i.e. credit average may not be 65 everywhere)

D94

HSC
N/A
Universities award grades based on the student's level of understanding. So if a student displays a Distinction level of understanding, they will get at least 75 if they went to UNSW, but at another university, they will get at least say 70 (whatever the range is). But both are Distinction marks at the respective universities so clearly WAM is only dependent on the marks.

Lectures or marking committees will look to bump students to a higher grade if they can. Richard Buckland confirms this in one of his COMP1917 YouTube videos.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I see what you mean but with WAM, at least there's something that's comparable.

I've never really understood the need to have a grade average. I feel WAM is enough. I suppose GPA gives us the spread of marks etc.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

I've never really understood the need to have a grade average. I feel WAM is enough. I suppose GPA gives us the spread of marks etc.
Yeah, I agree. But a grade average makes more sense with GPA, since it is essentially your average grade. I think we are in a bit of a weird position in Sydney (Australia?), because the two largest universities here use WAM but the international de facto is GPA. Funnily enough i've seen an internship advertisement from one of the biggest consulting companies requiring applicants have "a GPA of at least 70%".

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah, I agree. But a grade average makes more sense with GPA, since it is essentially your average grade. I think we are in a bit of a weird position in Sydney (Australia?), because the two largest universities here use WAM but the international de facto is GPA. Funnily enough i've seen an internship advertisement from one of the biggest consulting companies requiring applicants have "a GPA of at least 70%".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)