Is there any hope? (1 Viewer)

Yolos0n

HSC
N/A
After completing my trials, ive come to realise that my school ranks for my individual subjects are not going to be too highly positioned and it has gotten me incredibly worried on whether there is any chance of me coming out of this with an atar of 90+

If for instance i attend a school within the top 200 ranks and my internal rankings for subjects such as
- Adv Eng
- Maths X1
- Maths X2
- Physics
- Economics
are all within the top 20% or 25% ( i am yet to receive my official ranks), is there any possibility of making a comeback in the the NSW HSC test in OCT?

ive heard from numerous people and sources that if you screw up your internal school rankings, then essentially even if you do well in the external HSC exam, someone is going to 'steal' that HSC mark from you because they have the higher internal rank...

Would this not mean that there is absolutely no way of obtaining a decent atar post trials because whatever effort u put into the HSC exam is just accommodating for those highly ranked...?

Anyways, does anyone know if there really is a possibility of getting a decent 90+ ATAR if u do well in the upcoming HSC? I'm not saying that ive given up on studying but i feel like i need to know that there is a brighter light at the end of the tunnel amidst the darkening events after the internal trial examinations.

(Pls dont say "you havent gotten ur official ranks yet... you might even do well", because my gut feeling is usually correct on stuff like this)

Thanks for reading this, but i really need to know without it being sugarcoated the extent of having bad internal rankings.

- stressed and potentially screwed student of HSC 2k16

trecex1

HSC
After completing my trials, ive come to realise that my school ranks for my individual subjects are not going to be too highly positioned and it has gotten me incredibly worried on whether there is any chance of me coming out of this with an atar of 90+

If for instance i attend a school within the top 200 ranks and my internal rankings for subjects such as
- Adv Eng
- Maths X1
- Maths X2
- Physics
- Economics
are all within the top 20% or 25% ( i am yet to receive my official ranks), is there any possibility of making a comeback in the the NSW HSC test in OCT?

ive heard from numerous people and sources that if you screw up your internal school rankings, then essentially even if you do well in the external HSC exam, someone is going to 'steal' that HSC mark from you because they have the higher internal rank...

Would this not mean that there is absolutely no way of obtaining a decent atar post trials because whatever effort u put into the HSC exam is just accommodating for those highly ranked...?

Anyways, does anyone know if there really is a possibility of getting a decent 90+ ATAR if u do well in the upcoming HSC? I'm not saying that ive given up on studying but i feel like i need to know that there is a brighter light at the end of the tunnel amidst the darkening events after the internal trial examinations.

(Pls dont say "you havent gotten ur official ranks yet... you might even do well", because my gut feeling is usually correct on stuff like this)

Thanks for reading this, but i really need to know without it being sugarcoated the extent of having bad internal rankings.

- stressed and potentially screwed student of HSC 2k16
No, because they only "steal" your mark for their moderated internal mark, you keep your external mark. Final hsc mark for your subject will be the average of the two.

Yolos0n

HSC
N/A
No, because they only "steal" your mark for their moderated internal mark, you keep your external mark. Final hsc mark for your subject will be the average of the two.
So "No" as in i can still make a comeback with a good HSC mark, or "No" as in im screwed?

trecex1

HSC
So "No" as in i can still make a comeback with a good HSC mark, or "No" as in im screwed?
No to your question on if externals are pointless because it is "accommodating for those highly ranked" because it does not work that way. And whether or not you can make a comeback depends: your external performance + your cohort's external performance.

Yolos0n

HSC
N/A
No to your question on if externals are pointless because it is "accommodating for those highly ranked" because it does not work that way. And whether or not you can make a comeback depends: your external performance + your cohort's external performance.
In that case, if i were to perform very well for the HSC despite being poorly ranked internally (and supposing that my cohort does slightly above average in the HSC), the 90+ ATAR dream is still alive?

sorry for having so many questions, but i feel like schools really do not capitalise on explaining the ATAR process to students and some teachers are plain ignorant towards the ATAR determination..

Yolos0n

HSC
N/A
anddddddd 4 months later, i have come back to report that my final rankings are

English adv 20/97
Physics 3/49
MX1 7/36
MX2 9/19
Economics 14/29

HSC results coming out 2moro.... and then shortly after my ATAR

Yolos0n

HSC
N/A
update - the HSC results are out, and i nervously awaited the entire night getting no sleep what so ever... and i guess the entire year has paid off. Got an estimated ATAR of 96!! Hope the estimation is as good as the real deal tomorrow!

HSC
N/A
mmmm i like this initial Q and update as a metaphor for modern expectations vs your Trad. cliche advice from a School Councillor - forget Grades, your ATAR is only a competition for obtaining your ideal study regime in Uni. Forget grades at Uni, they just feed your ego and pride - the ideal is to understand the content that you have engaged in, to your own desire. DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND YOU WILL NEVER WORK *cliche dot com

Yolos0n

HSC
N/A
mmmm i like this initial Q and update as a metaphor for modern expectations vs your Trad. cliche advice from a School Councillor - forget Grades, your ATAR is only a competition for obtaining your ideal study regime in Uni. Forget grades at Uni, they just feed your ego and pride - the ideal is to understand the content that you have engaged in, to your own desire. DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND YOU WILL NEVER WORK *cliche dot com
Yeeeep, just hope to either inspire or motivate some future students that are in a position like I once was haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)