Is there something wrong with my car?? (1 Viewer)

kooltrainer

HSC
Well, im currently using my family's car.. an average toyota camry just like every other automatic toyota;s out there with a driving stick and a hand brake

I found out that when i change the driving stick from parking to reverse with my hand brake still on, my car starts to move?? wtff?? is this suppose to happen? I mean, my hand brake is still up.. and the signal "Brake" is still showing on the screen... If it is, then whats the point of the hand brake.. it serves no purpose by its literal name..

btw, does anybody no how to rev a car... foot on both foot brake and accelerator? or accelerate with parking gear or accel with hand brake? or what?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
your handbrake is shit, but it will still apply some resistance. The handbrake works on the back wheels and camrys are FWD so it will move a bit ye.

If you want to rev it put it in neutral, but why?

buddy88888

HSC
Please dont touch the accelerator and the brake at the same time. Or accelerate with the handbrake on. Your just gonna do damage.
Cheers
Buddy

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
accelerator and brake will just raise revs to stall point (unless you moving in which case I can't recommend it), accelerating with handbrake on will either roll and put a heap of strain on the handbrake or drag the back wheels, depending on how grippy the surface is/how good your handbrake is.

HSC
Lol get your handbrake adjusted u dork
it's just a loose cable

to rev, put it in neutral lol foot on brake and give it some accelerator

how can you not work that out

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Trying to rev it, ripped the handbrake and stepped on the accelerator and raped the handbrake line?
top stuff mate way to wreck your mums car

HSC
Haha oh shit yeah

that's ok I clean snapped my cable on the Peugeot, ripping the handbrake at 90km/h

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
my friend couldn't work out why when he put the handbrake on on his car it didn't lock the rear wheels and i was like m8 its a rwd car you have to press the clutch in

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
I think I rev'd the car by pushing my foot on the accelarator with the handbrake still on? No idea what gear it was in but it should have been reverse..I meant to have my foot on the brake pedal :mad1:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In everyday driving such as what the OP is talking about, I highly doubt he has any use for pressing both pedals. Even in my car (AWD), I rarely need to use the accelerator/brake simultaneously to snap the rear. Similarly I also don't feel the need to use the brake to correct my driving line in my FWD car.

As for the car moving with handbrake on- look at it this way, the gear in Park is what keeps the car steady whereas the handbrake just applies some resistance... there is always going to be that little bit of movement.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I think I rev'd the car by pushing my foot on the accelarator with the handbrake still on? No idea what gear it was in but it should have been reverse..I meant to have my foot on the brake pedal :mad1:
yeah it will rev up to the stall point which is ~2000rpm, to go higher (while not moving) you need to put it in neutral

kooltrainer

HSC
er.. so basically my handbrake is broken n i need to get sum mechanics to fix it??
btw, i didnt accelerate with my handbrake on... i jus had reverse gear wif handbrake on and the car rolled by itself... didnt accelerate..

Its pretty useless imo.. why would cars even have tht..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
er.. so basically my handbrake is broken n i need to get sum mechanics to fix it??
btw, i didnt accelerate with my handbrake on... i jus had reverse gear wif handbrake on and the car rolled by itself... didnt accelerate..

Its pretty useless imo.. why would cars even have tht..
Really only helps stabilise once you are in parked gear. The handbrake isn't the be-all/end-all to keep your car in one place.

And no there is nothing wrong with your handbrake from what I can tell. Don't bother taking it to mechanic. Just hold your foot on the brake when you are changing from park to reverse.

Ritard_

Banned
HSC
yeah his handbrake is loose m8

when on properly it should hold the car, not roll slightly, you can just adjust the cable (i could do it but he sounds clueless) it will take a mechanic 2 mins.

riet, depends, foot on accel and brake can just get the wheels spinning too, i can do it in my hilux, so i imagine most cars could.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
depends how good your tires and brakes are but generally unless you really give it some it will just stay at the stall speed. Isn't your hilux is a manual we are talking autos here bru?

Ritard_

Banned
HSC
yeh autos do it best m8, its really hard to work the brake, clutch and accel at the same time, whereas in most auto rwds, just mash the trottle and brake and it should light up

proletariat

HSC
if it only moved a tiny bit then stopped moving i think thats normal :S happened with every single car I was in alone when i was a kid :)

kooltrainer

HSC
if it only moved a tiny bit then stopped moving i think thats normal :S happened with every single car I was in alone when i was a kid :)
i no what u mean.. tht happens when i put in parking gear and let go off my foot brake.. and the car jolts a bit..

but not this one .. it rolled all the way out of my garage and into the street with my handbrake still on lol...

It sounds easy to fix my loose handbrake... is there like an instruction vid?

HSC
Depends on the model. Should be simple on a camry. There will be a cable running down the chassis, either inside or outside the chassis rail, it will connect to another cable running between the 2 rear wheels, and join In a y intersection. You should be able to adjust the tension in the first cable, 10 or 12 mm spanner maybe? Idk have a look for that cable and report back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)