Is this fair? (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Captain pi said:
What evidence is there that in cases of two people being ranked first internally the assessment mark for them is the mean of the top two examination marks?

I have evidence to the contrary: two students who ranked equal first internally. In the external exam, the top two exam marks were 96 and 94. Both received an Assessment Mark of 96.
I'll provide a snippet of an example of a moderating procedure.

http://users.on.net/unix/moderation.doc

This example shows how the highest moderated score is set when there are two or more students with the highest coursework score.
• Two students (1 and 2) have the same highest coursework score (98).
• The highest moderated score is set equal to the mean of the two highest external scores. These are 99.45 (student 3) and 97.35 (student 6), with a mean of 98.40

The main document can be read if you want to out of interest.

http://users.on.net/unix/statistical-moderation.doc

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Captain pi said:
What evidence is there that in cases of two people being ranked first internally the assessment mark for them is the mean of the top two examination marks?

I have evidence to the contrary: two students who ranked equal first internally. In the external exam, the top two exam marks were 96 and 94. Both received an Assessment Mark of 96.
It is also possible that maybe one of those top equally ranked students didn't attain the highest score.

How would you know that 96 and 94 are the 2 highest? You'd have to ask every student in your year to tell you their mark because the HSC results are only provided to the school and the student. My guess is that 94 wasn't the second highest mark.

helper

HSC
N/A
Captain pi said:
The example I know of was two students with 90 and 88.
They ended up with a moderated assessment of 89, so both ended up with band 5s.

Now if they are not averaged, then it just means that the top mark is not pegged and everyone is moderated normally. That may have resulted in what you are talking about pi.
I would have to check Board documents to see which is the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)