Is this normal? Entire class is struggling because of this. (1 Viewer)

RedThread

HSC
I'll get straight to the explanation of what's going on with my class.
During term 1, we begin on module 1. Seemingly normal; we were learning about cells, the basic structure, etc.. Then our assessment task is suddenly on enzymes and its effect on the medical industry and we hadn't covered it in class at ALL. It was only until AFTER we completed this exam/research task that we began learning about enzymes...

Okay... now to term 2. Teacher decides that we do MODULE THREE AND FOUR (but not before finishing off module 1) because they claim that it's related to our next assessment task which is a first-hand investigation on the species diversity at a nearby creek at our school. Okay, fair enough. Thing is, the classwork during weeks following the due date of the assessment task consisted of enzymes. It was only until week 5 (which mind you, was the week that assessment task was due), did we finally start on species diversity and all that jazz (which was related to our already-finished-and-handed-in assessment task).

You could probably tell we are quite behind. As you know, it's term 3 already and our prelim exams are coming up soon in about 3-4 weeks. While I don't have specifics, I can tell that our Bio class is struggling to maintain our pace and finish off all the syllabus points for module 2. To compare it, we're wrapping up the prelim syllabus for my other subjects and Bio is barely there... I can only hope we finish it before the exams start.

Now it's made even worse when my teacher is suddenly calling up all the prac reports for the entire year and having them due within a week of announcing it (writing this when they are due tomorrow on Monday). Teach's been helpful by 'taking initiative for us and writing half of our prac reports' (we just have to fill everything in and answer discussion questions and conclusion), but there is simply too many to do in a week (17, maybe more). I believe the pracs that our class does doesn't really do much other than explain really basic concepts. Even so, we do the prac then our teacher sits us down and moves on to the next syllabus point without going through the practical with us or anything... It's frustrating, and I can't even drop this subject because I'm relying on it for uni.

//rant over. Just needed to get this off my chest because I'm sure our teacher is incompetent. Jeez, chemistry is much smoother for me because my teacher actually knows that they are doing... My bio teacher claims its the new syllabus that has everything all jumbled and confusing, but really, my teacher just wants to put the blame on anything but themselves. All of my other teachers have coped well with this new syllabus, and I think nothing much is wrong with it (other than the 'including but not limited to' clause lol). I'm certain that only my class is like this, but I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It should not be "normal".

But yes occasionally in my experience classes do experience not having chance to be where they should be in regards to what they have been taught.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)