Is this possible? Should i appeal? (1 Viewer)

slavdaddy

HSC
So i was very confident in my chemistry exam, i did every past paper from 2001-2010, and consistently scoring 85+ raw. I was ranked second at my school, and my exam mark for chem only came back 81???? Which gave me a hsc mark of 83. Now the girl ranked third in my school got an exam mark of 88?!?!? And a hsc mark of 85, when averaged with her 83 assessment mark. Is this possible at all? Should i appeal?

slavdaddy

HSC
Does that sound fishy to you though? Is it worth it? Keeping in mind im so poor atm haha.

Dylanamali

HSC
It is very possible..
the girl who came third, could have studied extra hard for the test.. or the test could have been more suited to her knowledge and skills-base.
You have no ground for an appeal.. but you can ask for a clerical check of results, just to ensure that the mark you receive was in fact the mark you got. In saying that, if you truly were confident in the chem exam, and expecting 80+ raw.. then I could imagine that the mark would come as a massive shock. As a 81 exam mark correlates to about a 55-60 raw mark in the exam.

slavdaddy

HSC
Oh, okay, but i thought, if she got the second mark and i got the third rank mark it would turn out to be the same exam mark? Keeeping in mind there is a huge gap between the top 3 and the rest of the class. Also yeah, massive shock, i thought i wouldda got 90+ raw :(

Dylanamali

HSC
Oh, okay, but i thought, if she got the second mark and i got the third rank mark it would turn out to be the same exam mark? Keeeping in mind there is a huge gap between the top 3 and the rest of the class. Also yeah, massive shock, i thought i wouldda got 90+ raw :(
Everyone keeps their own exam mark.. the only mark that is moderated is the assessment mark (according to internal rankings).
What was your rank? and what was your assessment mark?

slavdaddy

HSC
Oooooh okay, uhmm second with 85. This i making sense now, but still not sure how i bombed the exam so hard

Dylanamali

HSC
yeah okay, so your assessment is okay..
i'm assuming no one attained a b6 in your school?

perhaps the marking at your school was more lenient than that of the HSC level?
but, yeah to presume you were going to get 90+ raw and then to get 60 raw is a massive difference.
Although, receiving 90+ raw is virtually a state ranking in chemistry.

Bad luck, if you truly believe you achieved that high, then a clerical check would be advised.

slavdaddy

HSC
Yeah, well my teacher has been marking hsc for the past 10 years and teaching chem for 28 years, and i always had her marking my past papers. Also is it possible that me bpmbing it affected the assessment marks? And thanks for your help too.

Dylanamali

HSC
Ah okay.. yeah I'm not sure what happened then.

But, yeah it could have.. I mean all assessment marks are affected by each external exam mark, because the mean/average of the exam marks becomes the mean/average of the assessment marks.
But.. it also depends on the gaps between you and 1st during your time in school.
e.g. I received 93 in chemistry for both assessment and exam because I was ranked 1st and because 93 was the highest external mark. But 2nd place, who only got 85 in the exam/external mark also got a 91 assessment mark and thus got 88.. his assessment mark was so high because the gap between us during school was only about 1 mark or so. So essentially, my mark pulled him up quite a great deal.

slavdaddy

HSC
Yeah tere was like nothing seperating me and first at school, i thonk he got me by 1 mark in the trial and snagged first :/. But hes already done the chem course at uni so he shreds pretty hard. Also congrats buddy, nice atar :) i only came up 92 :s but i guess with my unsw schollarship and hsc+ program i can pick any course i want so im not too upset.

Dylanamali

HSC
aha yeah, thanks bro.. appreciate it

ah yeah at the end of the day.. it all comes to down if you can get into the course you want or not, and if you can that's great! :)

Dylanamali

HSC
aha yeah, thanks bro.. appreciate it

ah yeah at the end of the day.. it all comes to down if you can get into the course you want or not, and if you can that's great! :)

slavdaddy

HSC
No worries champ, im sure u deserved what u got, an got into the courses u wanted. Take care buddy thanks for the advice.

zhiying

HSC
TBH I don't think there is anything wrong with that. When you mark yourself its different to what a HSC marker would do. I consistently got 90+ for last 10 years of HSC and I was rank 1 and my HSC mark was 94. Don't actually know whether that's different or anything but just keep in mind that Chemistry marks quite harshly, criteria wise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)