Is UMAT tutoring needed? (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
I don't like the idea of tutoring in general andd hence I don't want to go UMAT tutoring/preperation whatever it might be.
I do realise however a lot of doing the UMAT do go to tutoring.

Will not going to tutoring effect my chances? Does it have any benefit going to tutoring

I mean I see no reason to go if I practise myself, it is a thinking test after all.....

starshine02

HSC
I know a lot of people doing prep for umat but I haven't really heard much who actually go tutoring for it.

Like you, I don't like the idea of tutoring too much and especially not for something like umat because it's meant to be a type of logic test.

I think that practicing with a couple of prep tests could potentially help you get used to the style of the questions so it won't seem so sudden when doing the test. I think tutoring itself is a different story because there's really only so much that they could help you with and in the end it'll still depend on you. But I've never gone to umat tutoring before so I'm not sure what it's like. It also depends on the style of tutoring I guess eg - like a class or private.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't like the idea of tutoring, then you've answered your question already.

Like you said, it is a test. Like most tests I feel your marks can become better if you practice. I didn't have tutoring, but I had about 10 test papers which I went through in the weeks before.

All the best

Marc26

HSC
If you want to do really well in the UMAT, you probably have to start studying now. Dedicate, say, one day a week to preparing for the UMAT.
You can get tutoring, but I think I don't think it would be necessary unless you are really struggling on how to approach most practice questions.
So start off and see how you fair with preparing and if you find yourself struggling, ask someone you know who did the UMAT for advice. If you need further help, then get a tutor.

I think the most important thing to know is that you have to start now!
You won't do well by cramming a couple weeks before the UMAT. I think its held around HSC trials time where you'll be under the heavy load of all your other subjects.
Trust me. It would be better to start now and enrol in med entry if you are going for med.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I've known quite a few people who have done really well in the UMAT without paying for any preparation classes, like you and others have pointed out, they've just practiced with the resources they have.

Good luck!

Helvetica

HSC
I believe that you do not need tutoring for the UMAT, just do questions.
I bought 2100 UMAT questions (+ guides and interview prep) for $220 from a company called PrepGenie. MedEntry sell pretty much the same thing for $650.
The questions are a little bit more difficult than the actual UMAT which is good.

funstudy

HSC
Most of the people I knew, did. Although UMAT is meant to test personality and suitability to medicine, I guess now with increasing demand, people are learning to 'know' the structure of the exam. You might as well...no harm

Cyberbully

Where do you live?
HSC
tbh, i did UMAT prep with medentry...it's not worth those two days.

the resources are better. just practice and reflect on your mistakes - it's actually all you need. wasting > $100 on umat is a...waste

here's some shameless advertising

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)