is UNSW really religious????!?!?!? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Originally posted by kaseita
was this cbs? I know that some of the 'leaders' (they're actually just full-time workers for the group) don't know very much - they're just dedicated

the main guy I don't think would have that much trouble...I would be more surprised that you talked to him actually :). you'd have to go to one of the meetings in order to catch him since his not on campus that often.

actually, a pure rational argument with another person on religion, would end up in a stalemate, since as you say, its based on faith - so it ends up boiling down to me believing my thing, and they believing their thing, and no one budging (or that's what I've experienced).
Yeah it was cbs, it was during o-week...

no, but in a purely rational argument, faith would have no value and no place in the argument. In order for an argument to be purely rational you would have to argue with logic and evidence, which religion for the most part sorely lacks...

snow bum

Banned
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
I was stunned when I went to UNI...almost everyone in my course seems to spend half their lunchtimes going to this bible studies thing. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but I was just surprised with just how many people are so involved in it!
It's the free sex.

CBS, sounds like a gang, like LBC or GFF or some shit. We had someone from them come to school and talk to us and we were all like 'shut the fuck up PLEASE'.

kaseita

oh? more gff came again hm?
actually, turned out my limo driver for my formal was part of em *scary*

oh, religions have logic - just that their explanations for their arguments tend to be rather unbelievable, and seeing that the explanations don't come with evidence, it makes it unbelievable. i.e. their logic tends to make a little leap along the way.
there is evidence - that's more tied in with prophecies being fulfilled I guess.

but nowadays, that concept gets clouded because of all the nostradamus stuff, where they keep predicting stuff and then nothing happens (amongst other things)

anyway, not here to start an argument. I want my week holiday nice and peaceful :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Nostradamus claimed to be connected to the Church (and hence to God), but the Church rejects any connection to Nostradamus.

HSC
Originally posted by kaseita
oh? more gff came again hm?
actually, turned out my limo driver for my formal was part of em *scary*

oh, religions have logic - just that their explanations for their arguments tend to be rather unbelievable, and seeing that the explanations don't come with evidence, it makes it unbelievable. i.e. their logic tends to make a little leap along the way.
there is evidence - that's more tied in with prophecies being fulfilled I guess.

but nowadays, that concept gets clouded because of all the nostradamus stuff, where they keep predicting stuff and then nothing happens (amongst other things)

anyway, not here to start an argument. I want my week holiday nice and peaceful :)
well, yeah... religions have logic, but its their own internal logic.. yeah and you're right about the other stuff...

yeah, no need to argue... later :)

jelly

Campus Bible Study (CBS for short)...giant Christian group on campus, it's interdenominational, but was established by Anglicans. The Anglican Chaplain of UNSW is Phillip Jensen who is now also the Dean of St Andrews Cathedral (an anglican thingy). They're a very good group if you're christian. If you've been approached by people from CBS just talking stuff, you don't need to talk to them if you dont wanna...and my experience with the full-time staffworkers, they're pretty experienced, and know their stuff (they're actually church ministers/pastors in training). If they've offended you by trying to push you into talking, then I'll apologise on their behalf...

yeh... www.campusbiblestudy.org I'm a CBSer by the way, I lead one of those bible study groups. Think of it as a giant church on campus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)