Is UTS Engineering 1 year internship worth it? (1 Viewer)

pistachioman

HSC
N/A
Hi, Im currently in year 12 and was looking at UTS engineering program. UTS students are given a 1 year internship and was wondering if this internship is worth it or not?

Thank You.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty sure it is a requirement (of all? or most) engineering degrees to have 60 compulsory days of training or so in order to graduate. So yes doing an internship is defintely worth it.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You're not given a 1 year long internship, you have to find 2x 6 month internships yourself with support from the university.

I think it's worthwhile as many people secure jobs from one of these internships, and some people begin working while studying as a result of that first internship in second year.

As blit said, all accredited engineering degrees will require some form of experience to graduate - but the UTS practice program goes above and beyond these requirements.

pistachioman

HSC
N/A
But would you choose the UTS engineering over the same degree at another uni but without the 1 year internship? like for example in comparison to software engineering at USYD?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I did exactly that, and have no regrets.
I effectively swapped to part time and worked full time since second year when I did my internship. This would have been difficult (maybe impossible) to do for such a long amount of time at UNSW or USYD, so the practical nature of the subjects as well as the flexibility offered for timetabling + convenient travel helped a lot for me.

But with that being said, there's definitely pros to UNSW or USYD and their subjects are definitely more rigorous and have more contact hours etc.
I'd recommend comparing the actual courses at each uni and also considering what you want to actually get out of the internship and university in general.

Software Engineering was totally overhauled from the old ICT Engineering degree, it's an improvement but i'm not well versed enough in the new course or the current offerings at UNSW or USYD to be able to compare the current iterations of courses.

Despite being happy with my choice, i'm still planning on doing a more theoretical postgraduate course as I want some more exposure to that side of things. But my course combined with some self study/on the job learning has still easily been sufficient to start and progress in my career as a software developer - the postgraduate study is more out of interest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)