is your course or UWS worth it? (1 Viewer)

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
There are still chances to transfer even if you don't have a high GPA, I've seen it happen, so don't get discouraged if it's something you want to do.

I still think all this prestige stuff is complete bullshit.

I concur with memo, uni isn't like high school where getting 70/80+ is a piece of cake. You work hard to pass, let alone get distinctions.

lolzieee

rOosters ^_-
it's funny when people pick unis like USYD out of "prestige" without looking into the actual course...
like the nursing course at USYD is pretty crap compared to UTS and UWS.. there are a number of places that hesitate about employing USYD nursing graduates.
Same thing with education.. western suburbs schools would prefer graduates from UWS who are familiar with the area.

klh

HSC
bachelor of technology (IT Support) UAI 66.50

my first incling of wanting to do IT was to be in the support field...then the lecutres form all your family, friends, people on the street etc etc told me to go into computer engineering and so on...but although i lost track of what i wanted to do, i knew that IT was my chosen field.
so answering your q Ms 12, yes and no. i didnt want to do technology when i picked it as it was other peoples choices i chose on my preferences....but without others, i would have chosen technology without a doubt!

soory for the long reply, but thats how i felt...i knew but i didnt know what to pick...does that make sense.

and about people with low UAIs mean that they dont work hard....well i worked hard but i only scraped into technology, i am not that good at tests, so i am among the lucky ones...u studied day and night since 2nd term and also working hard at skool but some of us are crap. i actually stuffed up on my english maths tests in the HSC, i did the best in IT and moderately in Modern history and engineering studeis.

memo

klh you shouldnt let your UAI or even your course bother you. IT unlike some other fields does not require former qualification. It is preferred but definatly not required I'm sure if you can get some work experience in IT you would be in a better position than a UTS graduate with no experience.

The UAI in my opinion is only a measure of how well you did in the exam and your year 12 assesments. If you do well in university I'm sure you will be able to transfer even with a low uai.

klh

HSC
thanks memo, cheeers mate!!!!!
u have made my day!!! [in case you take this out of context, i am not coming on to u]
just that alot of people have said worser things coz of my UAI...

thanks alot, i feel alot happier

ruski_gal

Originally posted by Dingo2004

ruski girl you must live in them farms past campbelltown aye
which farm u at?
let me guess.. camden?
I live in bargo. Its past camden. At the top of the southern highlands. It sux cos when i lived in england i lived in the city, now im stuck in nowhere..... but im hopfully gonna move to the city after uni cos there are more hospitals to wirk in. more choice.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
is my course worth it?

ROFLMAO fuck no. Never was, never will be.

Is UWS worth it?

ask me after i've done 2 terms at penrith. coz right now i hate uws and the grounds its built on.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Dingo2004
the highest nrsl mark id ever get is 91 and thats only if i get GPA of 7 which is equivalent to a uai of 100 i assume.
no dingo, 99.5 is the max u can get, ( so anywhere from a GPA of 6.5-7.0 is equivalent to a 99.5)

Wildmage

Ahh... a career in anything IT-realted is risky... so many ppl I know are either um-employed or doing another degree. But who knows, if you excel in this, then maybe you'll be offered a superb job when you graduate!

I'm not a UWS student, but I'm going around all the other uni forums to let everyone else know that... USYD is soooo stingy! OMG! We still use laminated cards! USYD is so prestigous that their students don't even get proper cards (ie. plastic cards, like our drivers licence)- instead, we have to pay extra to get passport photos done, so that we can use ONE for the stupid card! Ahhh, and they promised last year that we'll get the new cards in... so, what happened? *sigh*

Oh well... I still LOVE USYD!!!! *sniff sniff*

BTW- I like my course 'cause it was my first preference and ppl are so afraid of radiation that it has created jobs for us, therefore there is a huge demand for radiographers. Oh, and it was either USYD or Newcastle Uni... but USYD's better... lol

Last edited:

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
usyd is prestige coz its a very old uni.
it needs to update lots of its syllabuses
coz some of its courses have syllabuses written 50 or so years ago with no change.

just my 5 cents ^^

mel81

klh if you want to work in IT support then you have chosen the right degree. Don't worry about what other people say, yes its true the IT industry has slowed down over the past few years but that happens with every boom. The fact is IT isn't going anywhere and although its hard to get into the and the money may not be as good as it used to be if its what you love then go for it. Also with less people actully going into IT things are looking up and the IT job market is picking up a bit know. In IT the most important thing is experience followed by professional certification so if you can while you at uni try to gain as much experience as possible and look at doing some certifications for a support role I suggest mcp or MCDST(Microsoft Certified Desktop Support TEchnician - its a new certification) checkout the microsoft website for more info http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp. Maybe also try and get a hardware certification like CCNA (Cisco Certified Networking Associate)

Part of the problem with IT is that when it was booming everyone was getting into IT for the big salaries, IT professionals in the past were overpaid those are the people who have been made redundant. They can't find work now because either they want to much money and/or they arn't really any good compared to those still in the industry. Nowdays the industry is starting to balance itself out salaries may be less but people only go into the idustry because its what they love and isn't that really a better reason to do something then for the money.

Another problem with the IT idustry now is sometimes you can be under paid what I suggest though if you are trying to get into the industry don't worry too much about it if you are offered a job put it dosn't seem like much money for the role your offered take the job stay there long enogh to gain experience and move on. This worked for my boyfriend in fact he is now in his 3rd IT job second company he has worked for he got promoted from a support role. He took the just for a salary below industry standards but last year (after a year and a half in the role and just over 2 years with the company) he demanded a $15000 pay rise to meet industry standards and he got the job because he is good at what he does, and knows his job better then anyone in the company. His boss has told him that he's got the potential to be an IT manager.

mel81

Originally posted by santaslayer
telstra is trying to export MORE of its IT jobs overseas!

But why would you want to work for telstra all they do is rip off their customers. (why the hell am I still a telstra customer :confused: )

memo

Originally posted by mel81
But why would you want to work for telstra all they do is rip off their customers. (why the hell am I still a telstra customer :confused: )
Other companies would soon follow exporting and outsourcing their IT work. Unless the government puts a cap on this (unlikely) it can only get worse.

mel81

It's true companies are outsourcing to overseas countries like India because its cheaper but they can't outsource everything overseas and not every company will outsource to overseas their are some companies who outsource to australian companies. Anyway IT jobs are not the only jobs outsourced overseas a lot of jobs are outsourced.

Oh btw telstra bigpond outsource support to a global company called teletech (who have offices all over the world) the bigpond support is done from the office in Pennet Hills. I know telstra also outsource other call centre stuff to thsi company too but not sure what.

As far as support goes plenty of companies prefer in house support because and inhouse support person will know the system far better then outsourced person.

klh if you want to work in IT support and you are good at it then go for it. Try and get us much experience as possible and get some prefessional certifications under your belt. Also while your at uni if you cant find any IT work just look for any call centre jobs even something like pizza hut as call centre experience is an excellent stepping stone to get into an entry level help desk role.

I actually don't want to work in support but support roles is generally where most people start in IT these days and I would be happy if I got a support job to start with, since I think I would enjoy the work it just that I want to be a programmer.

Oh and by the just cause you get a degree in one area it dosn't necessarily mean you will end up working that field. End as my dad said getting an education is never worthless. Just because you end up working in a different field dosn't mean it was a waste of time going to uni.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)