Is youth allowance for the parent or child? (1 Viewer)

hungry

HSC
I'm 18 and eligible for youth allowance. My friends who get it say it goes directly to them and it's theirs. My parents tell me it's for themselves, and when they apply for it it's going into their account to use to "help raise me". So who is it meant to go to?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Its technically your decision as you are an adult now. But tbh I see nothing wrong if the money feeds back into you, because they have actually spent a lot of money in the past in raising you anyway.

Smooth Operator

HSC
I'm 18 and eligible for youth allowance. My friends who get it say it goes directly to them and it's theirs. My parents tell me it's for themselves, and when they apply for it it's going into their account to use to "help raise me". So who is it meant to go to?
If you're still living at home at least a proportion should go to them seeing as you're 18 now, have a roof over your head and food provided which you should be contributing to IMO. This is just based of assumptions made from your post.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
From my understanding, the money is directed to you rather than anyone else. If you choose to contribute for your living costs, then that would be your own decision.

hungry

HSC
Ok thanks for the replies. Well I wouldn't mind giving like half to my parents to go for rent and stuff. But they won't let me have any at all. They said it's going to their account. I honestly just want to have a bit of money to save up for things like university stuff (textbooks etc) and other basic needs (food, clothes etc.. since there's never any food other than frozen precooked crap and I don't remember the last time I bought a new, fitting piece of clothing). so I don't have to ask them and feel guilty whenever I do. I almost never ask my parents for money unless I really need it like for school and stuff. I just feel like it would be more beneficial if I got at least some to use on my own needs, but they won't let, even though I'm 18. I know if I go apply for the payment myself and get it to my own account it will result in a lot of arguing and tension between my parents and I. (plus I don't find it fair that I know at least some my dad will spend on cigarettes and betting on sports).
(And for those probably thinking that I should go get a job, I have applied to many and continue to at the moment).

Smooth Operator

HSC
Ok thanks for the replies. Well I wouldn't mind giving like half to my parents to go for rent and stuff. But they won't let me have any at all. They said it's going to their account. I honestly just want to have a bit of money to save up for things like university stuff (textbooks etc) and other basic needs (food, clothes etc.. since there's never any food other than frozen precooked crap and I don't remember the last time I bought a new, fitting piece of clothing). so I don't have to ask them and feel guilty whenever I do. I almost never ask my parents for money unless I really need it like for school and stuff. I just feel like it would be more beneficial if I got at least some to use on my own needs, but they won't let, even though I'm 18. I know if I go apply for the payment myself and get it to my own account it will result in a lot of arguing and tension between my parents and I. (plus I don't find it fair that I know at least some my dad will spend on cigarettes and betting on sports).
(And for those probably thinking that I should go get a job, I have applied to many and continue to at the moment).
I definitely know where you're coming from. It sucks to hear you're in a bit of a situation and everything isn't necessarily ideal.. Maybe you should really have a god think about your options and what you can do about it.

PM me if you need to talk or something.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Do they track where the money goes or something? Like what if someone uses them for wrong purposes and stuff..

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Them f33ls man. That would really suck and perhaps you should try explaining to them that it's a "Youth" allowance, not cigarette allowance or whatever. But I completely understand where you're coming from and definitely pm me if you need to talk and stuff :)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
From my understanding, the money is directed to you rather than anyone else. If you choose to contribute for your living costs, then that would be your own decision.
I get this, but why is there the option of it being transferred to your parent's account? Eg what purposes would they need to use it for?

yma

HSC
We're in the same boat! My mum takes all of my youth allowance, as well. Wish you can get a job soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
$240 p/w is pretty expensive board. I'd move out if I was in your position tbh.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Lol aussie parents are the biggest welfare leeches. If they want you to "pay for your portion" then you can pay them directly instead of diverting youth allowance. What kind of asshole parents expect their kids to pay for their own shit when they're still in school. Youth allowance are for the youth, not the parent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)