Islam and the Middle East (1 Viewer)

nick1689

HSC
Is anyone else planning to do this subject? For people who are doing it, how is it? Is it as interesting as it sounds?

Im doing this and Govt in B Social Science, although im planning to transfer out of it next year, though I may still major in Islam and the Middle East. Does anyone know how useful doing this subject would be to help to get a job in say the govenment?

Thanks

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
I'm one junior ARIS unit and one or two senior, and also majoring in Govt (+ sociology). Don't know about employment oppportunities but I assume it'd be fairly useful to have a good grounding in that area, and the senior units touch upon some pretty pertinent issues. I'm also hoping someone who's done these will come along cause I'm not too sure what to expect myself :)

nick1689

HSC
Yeh the senior units look like a really good match with Govt, plus it looks hell interesting! Hopefully there is someone on these forums who have done this subject and can give us some insight.

Just noticed you're doing B Eco and Social Sciences, Im actually planning to transfer into that eventually, either that or B International Studies..

~ari

is well hung
HSC
nick1689 said:
Does anyone know how useful doing this subject would be to help to get a job in say the govenment?
It would probably be useful in a government job in Europe where they've collapsed in on their own political correctness which will lead to the imminent doom of the peaceful western social system they've developed.

Go team Sharia!

HSC
I've done a couple of subjects in this area and am hoping to major in it (which means I do a couple of years of Arabic too).

I've found it to be fantastic, the lecturers really know their stuff and the tutorials always have the potential to be very informative and stimulating (it will depend on how each student chooses to present and the way the tute is run).

As far as relevance goes a lot of the material covered in first year is historical but tutorials can provide an opportunity to discuss contemporary issues. In senior years the subject matter becomes far more relevant. I did a second year unit at the end of last year on political Islam which covered the Sunni/Shi'a split, terrorism, women's rights, the historical development of political Islam and various general issues such as secularism.

You're right too in that it would be a good match with a Govt major. I did Geopolitics this year and several of the topics covered crossed over with my studies in ARIS but we looked at the from a different perspective.

Highly recommended!!

nick1689

HSC
The Brucemaster said:
I've done a couple of subjects in this area and am hoping to major in it (which means I do a couple of years of Arabic too).

I've found it to be fantastic, the lecturers really know their stuff and the tutorials always have the potential to be very informative and stimulating (it will depend on how each student chooses to present and the way the tute is run).

As far as relevance goes a lot of the material covered in first year is historical but tutorials can provide an opportunity to discuss contemporary issues. In senior years the subject matter becomes far more relevant. I did a second year unit at the end of last year on political Islam which covered the Sunni/Shi'a split, terrorism, women's rights, the historical development of political Islam and various general issues such as secularism.

You're right too in that it would be a good match with a Govt major. I did Geopolitics this year and several of the topics covered crossed over with my studies in ARIS but we looked at the from a different perspective.

Highly recommended!!
Thanks buddy, sounds great! I actually cant wait to start it. So if you major in ARIS do you have to do a few units of Arabic as well? Like a couple of junior units?

HSC
I'm not sure if you have to do Arabic if you're just majoring in ARIS but I know you have to do a couple of years if you're going to do honours. You should be able to find some info on the Department's website (go to Usyd website, then Faculties>Arts>ARIS).

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Possibly unnecessary bump, but is it just an issue with my webct thing or is this unit not online yet for anyone? I am trying to be organised and this certainly doesnt help :( Also what is with showing us all those pictures in the last lecture, wtb content mang

HSC
Don't worry, Shboul usually takes a little while getting stuff on to WebCT. We haven't even got our essay topics or due dates yet so just chillax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)