isnt it slack? (1 Viewer)

sths

hey i was just reading this article from a couple years ago about mt druitt high in the hsc. they did heaps bad and as you all know the press proceeded to crucify them when their highest uai was 77 in the whole year 12......

which brings me to the point....
if you're a dux of yr 12 it doesnt neccesarily mean that u'll get over 90...or does it?

:chainsaw:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
No, I don't think it's always the case that the Dux gets over 90. However, if they're ranked first in, say, every single one of their subjects, there's all sorts of good stuff on their side IF they do decently in the HSC exams.

I think that's how it'd work.

Just as an aside, the Dux of my school last year didn't get the highest UAI in the grade.

Christine

beige member
HSC
the dux is usually just one of the pple who got the best marks out of the grade....

Durban

congats top the person who duxed mt druitt high, dont ever know where mt druitt is, im assuming its a socially disadvantages suburb in syd.

any ways go on that person i would be proud of my self if i got a uai of 77! regardless of what school i went to. and dux is relative, it is a measure who preformed best at the school, in the long run what school you went to isnt going to matter that much

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Durban
congats top the person who duxed mt druitt high, dont ever know where mt druitt is, im assuming its a socially disadvantages suburb in syd.

any ways go on that person i would be proud of my self if i got a uai of 77! regardless of what school i went to. and dux is relative, it is a measure who preformed best at the school, in the long run what school you went to isnt going to matter that much
Mt Druitt is where Wonderland is...near Penrith?

Anyway, the press is the press...its their job to cause controversy.
They did that to my school, although not as big, in 1999, cos, as a selective skool, we did very shit in the HSC that year, and here come the press telling us how shit we were, and that changes were needed etc etc...this whole affair caused our principal of 10 years to resign/retire, and the president of the P&C to be overthrown in a coup.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Christine
the dux is usually just one of the pple who got the best marks out of the grade....
but there maybe more than one person with the best marks ... so that is why there is a uai ...

timmii

sporadic attendee
As if we, as students, don't have enough pressure to do well without the media sticking its nose in...it doesn't really care whether any of the students do well or not, they just want brilliant success stories or controversy....*sigh* and all i do is feed them on....most of HSC was spent desperately searching for articles on HSC (even subjects i don't do), coz if they weren't gonna give me my friggin' UAI already I needed to latch onto something...

Friday will probably be spent scanning the "honours list" anyways....yay fun :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by timmii

Friday will probably be spent scanning the "honours list" anyways....yay fun :)
I need EVERYONE's real names so I can properly scan the merit list!
eg...spice, BJ, mclake, flyin, ultimate, weisy etc etc
:p

hornet

At our school they give out dux based on trial and final marks, at our graduation night, which is before the hsc. ie not uai based. However if you got a uai above... 90, they have a seperate morning tea thing next year, but the dux is well and truely known by then :)

but the dux usually ends up getting one of the top scores

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I was in the merit list last year for mathematics and mathematics extension 1 (both accelerated).

Just a question, if I get physics, chem, adv. english, and mathematics ext 2 (8 units) over 90 this year can I still get on the HSC allrounder's (10 units over 90) list even though I completed maths extension 1 last year and scored over 90?????

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
Originally posted by sths
hey i was just reading this article from a couple years ago about mt druitt high in the hsc. they did heaps bad and as you all know the press proceeded to crucify them when their highest uai was 77 in the whole year 12......

which brings me to the point....
if you're a dux of yr 12 it doesnt neccesarily mean that u'll get over 90...or does it?

:chainsaw:

actually i remembered that the whole school failed and the highest UAI was 44.... ??? thats why they were crucified, i think the press were trying to bring to attention how bad the school was, not the students.... like the teaching etc

SPX

hhhhhhhhaaaaaaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahha.................

welll..*trying to be serious*mmmmmmaahhhahahahwwahahhahahahah!!!

77 was their top uai or did you say 44. That is appalling!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Ultimate
I was in the merit list last year for mathematics and mathematics extension 1 (both accelerated).

Just a question, if I get physics, chem, adv. english, and mathematics ext 2 (8 units) over 90 this year can I still get on the HSC allrounder's (10 units over 90) list even though I completed maths extension 1 last year and scored over 90?????
that's a tricky one..
I dun kno if the newspapers are versed enough to be told ur marks from last yr or not
I suggest ring up the BOS

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi

if im on the list, sure i give you my real name (i should be on the list for math ext1, ext2 and latin continuer ... i highly doubt ill get on the list for anything else) ...

that reminds me ... ill collate a list of people ill check ... or maybe theyll all be online ...

Ozz^E

Originally posted by Ultimate

Im pretty sure you will get an allrounder in such a situation or otherwise it means that accelerated students have an disdvantage, which i dont think is the case. Im in a simialr poistion myslef. I got over 90 for business last yr and 88 for eng adv. SO i did eng adv again this time as well as chem, 3/4 math. So yea..

:)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ozz^E

Im pretty sure you will get an allrounder in such a situation or otherwise it means that accelerated students have an disdvantage, which i dont think is the case. Im in a simialr poistion myslef. I got over 90 for business last yr and 88 for eng adv. SO i did eng adv again this time as well as chem, 3/4 math. So yea..

:)
that was why you had only 8 units on assessment rank thread ... i was wondering about that ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi

Yeah I'll give you my real name... should be on the list for ext. 2 maths, and adv. english, possibly physics and chemistry as well.

See I don't think the newspapers will put me on the honours list for mathematics extension 1 from last year, thats why I was wondering if I could still get on the HSC allrounder's list.

I might ring up the BOS after I get the results to see if I could be eligible for the HSC all rounders list in the first place.

But as Ozze said, that would be disadvataging accelerated students, which I don't think the BOS would do.

btw, 88 for adv. english was a very good mark last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)