ISP religion & biogrpahy (1 Viewer)

NiKiTa

ISP religion & biography

i am focusing on Malcolm X for my ISP. my topic question is based on religion & biography, section C: responses to the individual.
i am asking: how did religious and social institutions respond to the actions of Malcolm X?
(not in topic question)--> e.g. NOI, chritian churches, general public...
after watching the movie Malcolm X with denzel washington, i am now considering section (A) for my report: the actions of one famous historical or contemporary individual or faith or principle.
- critical issues that shaped the actions of the individual
- motivating forces that shaped the actions of the individual

to anyone who's reading this: which of the following two do you think is a better section to focus on for my ISP (ie. more interesting, more information = more content)
1. malcolm x's actions (including his influences such as elijah mohammad, and his speeches) OR
2. other people's reactions (to his speeches on the Nation of Islam & on black history) e.g. his house was burnt down, attempts to silence him for 90 days after his comments on the assasination of J.F.K.
???

also- if i continue with (C), any thoughts or suggestions on my topic question? i'm asking 'how'... i could be asking 'what' or 'why', or include 'describe' or 'analyze'. has anyone been given hints as to what a teacher considers to be a good topic question?

ISP due in May!

i seem to be worrying too much (above), i just felt slightly nervous once i found out how many days there are til the HSC! :(

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
If it were me, I would be picking someone else as its debatable if Malcolm X actually fits into this category (they are usually people who are more "religious" than "political" if this makes sense- and no, Im not saying he wasnt a religious man, he just seemed to be more motivated by politics than religion) (might have to do some background reading on the Nation of Islam but I thought they were/still are classified as a political/"terrorist" group similar to the Black Panthers-am willing to be corrected on this)

Read the above in light of your part A and hopefully you will see where Im coming from.

This may actually give you a lead-in/another option to consider if you can show that his actions were motivated by religion/relgious beliefs and *NOT* politics hiding behind religion (does this make sense??)

Biographies are (usually) hard to do as analysis as you are relying too much upon other peoples findings which has the inherent problems of bias (eg. your movie was produced by Spike Lee who definitely has a political slant) thus lending itself to pure description.

If you want to do a movie (for eg.) why not do your question as a religion and literature question (esp. part b or c)

Sorry about the double speak and ( ), its been a long day!!

kate86

hey. for my isp i did religion and biography and a few people told me my person was bordering on not being acceptable, as it was on a cult leader. i got really worried because id already done most of it. anyway i handed it in hoping for the best and tried to link it as close to religion as possible and i ended up scoring the highest mark in the grade (100 or so people). apparently cos mine was original and stuff, something a bit controversial i guess. yeah so like as long as you link most of it to religion you should do fine :)

kate86

hey snapperhead na it wasn't aimed at u! a lot of people told me i should be careful and stuf, not just u. your advice was helpful but, cos i ended up changing the focus of my essay.

philly17

Hey when are ppl Isp due mine was liek 1 dec last year? I got 17/20 and I did How Pope John Paul 2 contributed to teh fall of Communism in Poland I was disappointed in my grade its cose the teacher didnt understand my issue so some areas i must wrongly marked down i gto an extra mark but oh well it was only worth 10% for 2 uni

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kate86
hey snapperhead na it wasn't aimed at u! a lot of people told me i should be careful and stuf, not just u. your advice was helpful but, cos i ended up changing the focus of my essay.
I was just joking- sorry if you took that the wrong way!!
LOL :)
I have a very thick skin!!
LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)