Issac Asimov (1 Viewer)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I thinking of forcing myself to get back into reading and through wikipedia I think I'd be interested in some of Issac Asimov's work. What have people thought about he's work, are the idea he puts forward developed well through each of he's novels and do you think it's readily available at local libraries?

Justin

HSC
haha, this guy.

For my English Journeys portfolio, i made up total crap and said i read one of his books and made out i had analyzed the journey and i hadn't even read one word of the book. I got 8/10 for that particular piece, which isn't too bad seeing as i just made up random jibberish which was in line with the syllabus.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Bicentennial Man was great - what with the whole 'immortal superbeing committing suicide' theme.

Read the first three foundation books, heck, at least the first one. The first is easily the best, with several generations of bureaucrats wrecking shit using a combination of wacky religion and politiking. The best thing is how socially realistic it is, with one brilliant guy taking all power for himself for the greater good, and his kids being incompetent loons who lose it all.

Also, this guy is incredibly prolific, so good luck tracking down everything he wrote. Still, there's no problem finding his stuff anywhere - simply because he wrote so damn much.

HSC
I can reccomend The Last Question too! Isaac Asimov's stories are excellent, although if you are a sci-fi I think you should read Arthur C Clarke's Rama series Rendevous Rama II, The Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed.
The Ugly Little Boy is another good Asimov book...

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Another positive thing to note: Isaac Asimov was one of the few sane science-fiction authors out there. For instance:

Frank Herbert - batshit insane, later Dune novels were bizarre masturbatory fantasies.

Arthur C Clarke - pedophile

Robert Heinlein - a Freudian psychologist's wet dream (re: severe problems with his mother).

The fact that Asimov died from AIDS is irrelevant - it was (according to his widow) from a tainted blood transfusion.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
And another point in Asimov's defence, Aznpsycho, was that he was a very smart man. He graduated from school, and then university, before his years. He had a degree in nucleic physics or something. Anyway, he definetly has qualifications to be delving into the depths of scientific speculation because he understands science.

I have found a fair bit of his work at public libraries. The Last Question is one of his best short stories, and, according to him, the one he is most proud of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)