It’s not all about the ATAR (1 Viewer)

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
Hmmm yes its all about the atar
it's not, someone is finishing up their first year of law school with a distinction average and they got an ATAR of like 44. doesn't matter what uni, it's still law school and that's mad, I saw it on the fb discussion group

idkkdi

HSC
I mean does it really matter?
at the end of the day this person's gonna have the knowledge and skills to be a lawyer regardless of how prestigious the uni was
you're assuming that getting a job as a lawyer is possible

and quality of education is definitely a thing

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
you're assuming that getting a job as a lawyer is possible
it's difficult for any law school graduate to get a job right, I still think that the uni doesn't matter
I don't think a law firm is gonna reject a graduate applying there simply because their uni is meh

idkkdi

HSC
it's difficult for any law school graduate to get a job right, I still think that the uni doesn't matter
I don't think a law firm is gonna reject a graduate applying there simply because their uni is meh
cutting by uni exists, and I would imagine it's very prevalent in oversaturated industries. it's the fastest way to reduce applicants.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
cutting by uni exists, and I would imagine it's very prevalent in oversaturated industries. it's the fastest way to reduce applicants.
yea that's true, apparently the UK looks at what uni you came from. the law industry here is apparently saturated but you're not limited to just becoming a lawyer if you have a law degree, there are non-legal career options too which I'm sure are easier to get into

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
Bro how can uni not matter, let's say I went to Wollongong and you went to Harvard would it still not matter? Sure the difference between USYD and Wollongong may not be as drastic but it is also important to remember that if a uni accepts ppl with 40 atars it does not set a high bar for entry. Everyone knows this and it is clear that it is easier to get into Wollongong where they will take anyone whether or not they can handle the course just to take their money for however long they are there for. Even if you drop out they don't really care as all they want is money. Good unis have prestige to worry about or else they will lose their reputation esp usyd and unsw where it's easy for people to swap between the two because they are close by and have similar standards for entry.

I never see ppl with great atars saying that they really want to go to the gong or whatever, all I see is ppl with trash atars saying that it doesn't matter what uni you go to because they have no other option.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
Bro how can uni not matter, let's say I went to Wollongong and you went to Harvard would it still not matter? Sure the difference between USYD and Wollongong may not be as drastic but it is also important to remember that if a uni accepts ppl with 40 atars it does not set a high bar for entry. Everyone knows this and it is clear that it is easier to get into Wollongong where they will take anyone whether or not they can handle the course just to take their money for however long they are there for. Even if you drop out they don't really care as all they want is money. Good unis have prestige to worry about or else they will lose their reputation esp usyd and unsw where it's easy for people to swap between the two because they are close by and have similar standards for entry.

I never see ppl with great atars saying that they really want to go to the gong or whatever, all I see is ppl with trash atars saying that it doesn't matter what uni you go to because they have no other option.
I completely agree, I'm not against the idea that uni matters and I'm also not against the idea that it's all about ATAR.

I was just dropping a scenario I read about that was relevant to the thread to provide an alternate perspective, ofc it's not the perspective that anyone should have. was just tryna be a bit optimistic!

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
I completely agree, I'm not against the idea that uni matters and I'm also not against the idea that it's all about ATAR.

I was just dropping a scenario I read about that was relevant to the thread to provide an alternate perspective, ofc it's not the perspective that anyone should have. was just tryna be a bit optimistic!
:)

erucibon

HSC
N/A
I think this is more true of medicine though

quickoats

HSC

Tbh a Wollongong law degree would be more useful than a Harvard law degree here since you'd be able to be admitted to the bar/supreme court in NSW.

*If you're in corporate consulting or whatever, and your legal job does not require you to represent someone in a court, then the Harvard law degree is obviously a lot more attractive.

Nikolerak

HSC
There’s more to consider than just your ATAR. UTS have a range of admission schemes that could boost your application to their courses. These include your academic performance in specific HSC subjects, interest in certain study areas, experiences of educational disadvantage, and/or your identity as an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person.

Important application dates for admissions schemes
  • inpUTS (Educational Access Scheme) - apply via UAC by 29 November for December Round 2 offers
  • Elite Athletes and Performers - apply direct to UTS by 30 November
  • Year 12 Engineering and IT Questionnaire - apply direct to UTS by 19 December
How do we apply for inpUTS?

mmmm.

HSC
How do we apply for inpUTS?

Nikolerak

HSC
Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)