• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

IT English TEST HELP!!! (2 Viewers)

C

chronic_fatigue

Heya
Does anyone knoe what we have to do for the test??? if you do wat kind for questions could be asked?

Thanks

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
It's basic comprehension stuff, if you fail you should'nt be in uni in the first place. It's like " the cat sat on the mat " crap and you have to write a short opinion/reflection.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Donshe said:
Cheers brother, so is this reflection about current affairs or what
when i did it, it was write what you think IT will be like in 30 years. It's not a test of what you come up with, it's to see if you can constructively write something.

mysteek

HSC
so is it in like an essay form?? or a number of short responses??sounds pretty gay

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
is this test tomorrow and where is it, i lost all details , or cant be stuffed looking for them. please tell me where to go.

S

Shuter

copious said:
when i did it, it was write what you think IT will be like in 30 years. It's not a test of what you come up with, it's to see if you can constructively write something.
Bleh, sounds as useless as HSC english again.

nuffsaid

BOS Founder
HSC
why couldnt they just look up our HSC english results
easy

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
mysteek said:
so is it in like an essay form?? or a number of short responses??sounds pretty gay
Probaly more like a short response.

jordie

HSC
Sasha its at 2pm till 3.30pm. in room CB02.04.13 (building 2, level 4, room 13). And yeah tomorrow the 18th.

Last edited:
C

chronic_fatigue

so basically wat lvl of english do they test for e.g HSC english or lower?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
thanks for the time, i just looked at my table and there was a big green sheet saying ENGLISH TEST and had all the details, i was just too lazy to rotate my computer seat to see.

well i dont know how hard the test will be but i think its only designed for those FOB people who got high uais but dont know english. i tihnk we will all be right with this, and me not good english me self

S

Shuter

me not enroll yet me thinks me will do test later when me part of uni as me heard nothing about test

C

chronic_fatigue

So the english test wouldnt be as hard as ADV HSC Eng?
well i hope not

is dat shuter and jordie from the poker table?

mysteek

HSC
nuffsaid said:
why couldnt they just look up our HSC english results
easy
yeha they should do that...soo much easier and doesnt waste our time..arr

T

timbk2

I think we did something like a discussion or something. I was shocked to find out that i Failed the english exam! ahha.. only to find out that the stupid marker forgot to add 10marks from one of the pages.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
hey this better not be like the HSc english , becuase i kinda cheated for that test and used someone elses paper and just memorised it , i cant write my own stuff for crap.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Basically, based on the 2002 test I did, this is what happens.

Part 1 is basically a comprehension where you have to fill in the blanks. Basically, you just read each sentence or 2 and fill in the best word. There is usually more than one word that can be appropriate, so thats fine, just as long as you don't use a word that doesn't make any sense. Basically, like using either "Many" or "Numerous" or anything else that means the same will still make sense somehow.

Part 2 is basically a short answer, essay style, response. You only really have to write a page. Basically, they give you an extract of some IT issue, and you have to conitnue on and say some stuff about it. What's important here is not what you write, but HOW you write and your grammar. You should make use of full stops and commas properly, make paragraphs and write in English that makes sense.

Both parts are related to IT, so having some understanding of IT is good, however not necessary. As I said, they are testing your English, not the content. You can still pass the test without knowing what the article is talking about. Especially in Part 2, if you are stuck, just write anything. As long as it makes sense and the English is good, you will be fine.

They basically grade you on 3 levels: Pass, Needs Improving and Really Bad (not those exact words, but you get what I mean :p). If you Pass, then thats great! You're still welcome to get help from ELSSA if you need it. Needs Improving means that you have been recommended to undertake the subject "Advanced Communications in IT" in your first semester. You don't have to do it, but you are recommended to. Basically, it will eat one one of your 4 electives in BScIT and your only IT elective in BBus/BComp, so if you need those electives, especially in BBus/BComp, then you might consider not doing it. If you don't take the recommendation, then basically they will not be as easy on you if you apply for special consideration (on something that involves writing a lot), so thats something to think about. If you are Really Bad, which is really only a few people per year, then they highly recommend you to take that subject, and over 2 semesters as well, and I'd take the advice as it means your English is quite bad.

Good luck for the test guys! Hope you all pass :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)