IT VET Question (1 Viewer)

lucifersguard

HSC
So basically, as my last 2 units I've got IT VET and if you don't know how the weightings work its 100% on the external test, the half yearlies and trial dont count. BUT, from what I was reading it says that if you are absent from the HSC exam, they'll use your trial mark instead of the external one.

Now, I'm wondering if I get a good mark for the trials and im satisfied, do I have to file something to the Board of Studies for my absense from the HSC test (I wouldn't go if i got a good mark in the trials)? Does anyone know anything about this?

moxpsy

HSC
To be honest, whether or not you get a good mark in the trial you are probably better off doing the HSC exam. Reason being, if you want an ATAR then you have to do the HSC exam for the mark to count.

If you do not need an ATAR then your mark doesn't really matter a whole lot. I did the IT HSC exam last year and ended up doing better in the HSC compared to the trial. Chances are you will be able to improve in the time you have to prepare between the trials and the HSC if you use your time properly.

EDIT: The only case where the trail mark might actually be used is if you apply for misadventure due to illness or some other circumstance, which must be proven by doctor's certificate etc.

I could be wrong however, where were you reading about this?

Last edited:

lucifersguard

HSC
It says on the assessment booklet for our school, I'm sure you could find it on the BOS site. And I am getting an ATAR obviously so why are you saying that i must attend to the exam to get a mark from the subject. Like you said aswell, the trials will count if i dont show up right?

lucifersguard

HSC
And if i get 90%, the mark will be scaled the same way as the HSC \test right.

Gigacube

HSC
So basically, as my last 2 units I've got IT VET and if you don't know how the weightings work its 100% on the external test, the half yearlies and trial dont count. BUT, from what I was reading it says that if you are absent from the HSC exam, they'll use your trial mark instead of the external one.

Now, I'm wondering if I get a good mark for the trials and im satisfied, do I have to file something to the Board of Studies for my absense from the HSC test (I wouldn't go if i got a good mark in the trials)? Does anyone know anything about this?
If you cannot turn up to a HSC exam you must fill out a misadventure appeal. You will probably need a doctor or police to verify your reason on the same day of your exam confirming why you couldn't turn up. All this information can be found on the Board of Studies website. If you just decide to skip the IT exam because you think your trial mark is better you will not get your 2 units for IT or your ATAR as you did not sit the exam or fill out the misadventure form with a valid reason.

Also, are you sure that you will get your trial mark back? Teachers aren't allowed to tell their students the final marks they submit to BOS.

It says on the assessment booklet for our school, I'm sure you could find it on the BOS site. And I am getting an ATAR obviously so why are you saying that i must attend to the exam to get a mark from the subject. Like you said aswell, the trials will count if i dont show up right?
Just because you take IT does not mean you plan on getting an ATAR. The IT examination is optional to sit. If you choose not to sit the IT exam and are doing 10 units then you will not get an ATAR. This is was what moxpsy was talking about.

i.e. If you don't show up to the HSC exam you will not automatically get your trial mark. You must obtain documentary evidence generally on the day of the exam to support your illness/misadventure appeal. If you did not sit the exam this evidence must indicate why you were unable to attend.

lucifersguard

HSC
No offense, but with all that dramatic information about how I will not get my trial mark to replace my HSC mark all comes down to whether or not I can get a doctors certificate, correct? Thats a joke. So after I get the certificate what do I do?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Just sit the exam. Its piss easy.

Gigacube

HSC
No offense, but with all that dramatic information about how I will not get my trial mark to replace my HSC mark all comes down to whether or not I can get a doctors certificate, correct? Thats a joke. So after I get the certificate what do I do?
Find the info yourself on the Board of Studies website. It's not hard. If you can do that then you should be able to sit the IT exam.

I don't see why you won't sit the exam as generally trial papers are harder than the HSC papers. Also, why go out of your way just to fill out a misadventure form for a subject like IT VET?

Last edited:

Matrob

HSC
I did it last year and was thinking the same thing because I did well in the trial.
It is tempting but not worth the risk.

I literally did 1 nights study and state ranked in it.
It's piss easy, especially last year.

Just keep writing in the essays, everyone else sits around going "oh that was so easy, I'm done".
Just keep bullshitting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)