• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ITT we help examine to get 85 in his Maths extension 1 yearlies so he can do 4 unit (2 Viewers)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Re: ITT we help examine to get 85 in his Maths extension 1 yearlies so he can do 4 un

Probably a rookie concept, though I guess that's why I'm asking it just to confirm.

For inequalities, do you have to square both sides, or is there an alternative way (I think there is, though I don't fulply remember it - I think it is where you just multiply it though you have two cases.
You can find the discontinuity (what values x cannot equal), and the the equality (if the inequality sign is actually equal - what solutions you would get by solving it), and then test points on either side.

Although I know that Realise has a better method - I think it's called the boundary method.

Examine

same
HSC
Re: ITT we help examine to get 85 in his Maths extension 1 yearlies so he can do 4 un

Like, I'd rather not square it because its a 2 mark question but a long division process if I were to.

theind1996

HSC
N/A

(x^3-10x)/(x^2+8)>1
Using my method, you know that the discontinuity will be where the denominator cannot equal zero, so x^2 - 8 =/= 0. Equality will be where the fraction is = to 1, i.e what values of x is the numerator = to the denominator.

Then draw up a number line and test points in on either side.

deswa1

HSC

(x^3-10x)/(x^2+8)>1
Denominator is always greater than 0:

x^3-10x>x^2+8 (on multiplying through by x^2+8)

I would never square the whole thing- in cases where the denom could be both positive or negative, just multiply through by the square of the denominator

Sindivyn

HSC

If you're talking about inequalities with the unknown on the bottom, one method is to multiply both sides by the square of the denominator. Squaring both sides in an inequality can lead to issues. Eg
1>-5
(1)^2>(-5)^2
1>25
Which is false

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad

Denominator is always greater than 0:

x^3-10x>x^2+8 (on multiplying through by x^2+8)

I would never square the whole thing- in cases where the denom could be both positive or negative, just multiply through by the square of the denominator
this

D94

HSC
N/A

(x^3-10x)/(x^2+8)>1
I really doubt you'd be asked a question like this, unless you could somehow factorise it and produce a sensible result. You would usually be given a question where the denominator could be either positive or negative for certains values, so the general idea is to multiply both sides by the square of the denominator. It generally simplifies to something you can factorise and then you will be asked to say for which values of x satisfy the inequality.

Examine

same
HSC

If two points lie on the same side of an interval and the angle subtended at these points by the interval are equal, then the rwo points and the endpoints of the interval are concyclic.

What does this actually mean and how can it be used?

Examine

same
HSC

Also, what would the range be of these?

Aysce

HSC

Also, what would the range be of these?

So you know that f(x) is a semi-circle that intersects the x and y axis at 2 right?

Now imagine the graph of it - what do the values of y range from? It ranges from y=0 to y=2.

NOTE: That is the 2nd question

Examine

same
HSC

So you know that f(x) is a semi-circle that intersects the x and y axis at 2 right?

Now imagine the graph of it - what do the values of y range from? It ranges from y=0 to y=2.

NOTE: That is the 2nd question
So you need to basically visualise the graph to find the range?

Aysce

HSC

It's one way to do it - I normally use it :p

Examine

same
HSC

Ok, then that's fine.

Been doing some other papers, I'm always stuck at circle geometry and parametrics :( 3D Trig is half half now though I'm getting used to it.

Aysce

HSC

What do you have trouble with in parametrics? I always love doing it!

iBibah

HSC

If two points lie on the same side of an interval and the angle subtended at these points by the interval are equal, then the rwo points and the endpoints of the interval are concyclic.

What does this actually mean and how can it be used?

See in this picture how points C and D are on the same side of the interval AB.

Now if angle ACB=angle ADB, it means that ABDC is cyclic.
Because if you remember, angles on the circumference subtended by the same are equal.
Conversely, if two angles subtended by the same chord (or arc) are equal, the four points must lie on the circumference of a circle. (i.e Concyclic)

Examine

same
HSC

I guess it's just how the questions are formatted, though I'm just hopeless with circle geometry.

iBibah

HSC

Yes you can draw the graph by plotting points or otherwise.

Or if you know the domain, find the maximum and minimum by deriving the function.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)