• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

j.j.thomson's expt (1 Viewer)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
hi,
jj thomson did an expt to measure the charge/mass ratio of an electron, can anyone explain it in a paragraph....every source i look at, its like a page of writing...doesn't register in my head....!! what did he do? and how did he do it?

FinalFantasy

HSC
Thomsom's famous achievement lay in the construction of special cathode ray tubes which he used to measure the ratio of the charges to mass for the electron. (e/ m). Thomson's experiment in 2 steps.
Step 1- Balance the magnetic field force with the electric field force so that the beam remains undeflected. Equate F(B) with F(E) to get v=E/B
Step2-Apply the magnetic field only. This results in circular motion. Knowing v and measuring radius of circle, produces an expression for the ratio e/m for the electron.
The final outcome of the Thomson experiment was measurement of e/m.

NoOb_ceNtRAL

HSC
ya wat final fantasy said n also he didnt know value of E so he compared it to charge of proton. but it waz heapz larger (like 1800x)
so he said it couldnt be a wave (too slow) and it cant be proton (too light). they didnt know of electrons before then.
koolz, dats wat i undastood frm it

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
hi (if i knew who you were, id say your name)...sory.....identify yourself!!!! hehehe....thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)