James Ruse are cheaters and the BOS do not care. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

myvalentine2007

HSC
Ragerunner said:
Lets say a student is taught the topic on 'equations' in year 9/10. They learn linear equations The student is now fully proficient in it. Next, they learn about absolute values in equations. Now they are fully proficient in it.
Actually, you learn your linear equations in yr 8 :)

And James Ruse isn't that badly accelerated. Teachers just try to get the 2U course nearly over and done with. Then they go and put questions from the 3U HSC maths pastpaper into the test. That's just basically all the acceleration you get.

For other subjects:
- hist/geo: It stays the same as every other school out there.
- PE: it is a joke. Nobody learns anything.
- science: it all depends on a teacher. Some will teach you more. eg. in year eight, while we were learning what soundwaves were, our annoying teacher was trying to teach Newton's Law of Gravitation (F = G mM/2r2 or whatever; can't exactly remember) but none of the classes were taught that.
- english. Again it all depends on the teacher. Some teachers will go through texts (but not in detail) which we will encounter in senior years (eg. Bladerunner, Macbeth in year 9 etc.) But not all teachers will do this.

No offence, but you should just deal with it. All the ranting in the world isn't going to change the BoS' biased minds :p

going_under

HSC
Riviet said:
*drops dead on the floor*
*breathes heavily for 10 seconds...*
Phew, finally finished reading that entire thread.
*breathes for a few more seconds*

hahahaha how very very true
i only reading cause HSC over n therefore i can do shit all for as long as i want
critiek get over urself, holy crap someone disagrees wit ur whinging!!!

Al Capone

HSC
yer i would have liked to do higher level subjects at an earlier year so then i can be more prepared for yr12. my school didnt tell us this option at all, as far as im concerned, it seemed like we werent allowed to do it coz i had no idea u could do it anyway

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
James Ruse isn't a cheating school. The first poster is just jealous.
I don't think he is jealous, but James Ruse is definitely not a cheating school.
At school I started preliminary work in year 9. What is the big deal. It is a concept called accelerating... :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Don't worry kido, alot of people have already argued in favour of your point, too bad the arguement's died down long ago...

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
i think it's difficult to draw a line between cheating and accelerating. i remember been told too. by english teacher, that they can't 'premark' work on texts in the hsc syllabus, but how do you transpose that into subjects like maths where the curriculum is such that what you learn in hsc is an extension of preliminary and sc knowledge. from a policy viewpoint, the hsc should be utmost fair, but at a school like ruse, if the teachers don't extend their students, make tests difficult, everyone would be getting 100, and so starts a cycle of tutoring and learning 2 years ahead. on that note, tutoring colleges are already pushing hsc past level playing field, what we hear of in the media is imaginably only the tip of the iceberg. if ruse doesn't teach ahead, tutoring businesses will do it for profit. while we all feel injustice about unequal opportunities, this is something we have to accept (that life isn't all fair) but never play up to.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
nwatts said:
You'll find that James Ruse don't accelerate, nor do their students ask for harder work. They find loopholes in BOS rules to start the HSC year earlier, so their students have more time than other students to prepare for exams and learn the coursework.

They start things early, yes. Under BOS rules, it's illegal. There are loopholes. James Ruse exploits them.
um.....yes they do! they DO accelerate, but only one subject i think, and thats agrictulture.

The board and what we learn in our classrooms is based on one shining document: THE SYLLABUS! And every single thing that we learn is (or should be) dictated by the syllabus. The syllabus tells teachers and schools what they should learn, how they should teach it, and how many indicative hours should be spent on each course/unit.

As a school, James Ruse's curriculum policy, I would say, would be extremely regimented. It is a school where highly intelligent students attend, students who are passionate about and keen to learn. I cannot imagine Ruse teachers jeopordising the integrity of the school and its students by diverging from the syllabus.

But the indicative hours mentioned in the syllabus means that once teachers have fulfilled such a requirement, they can then extend on what they have taught. Most schools have an excess amount of hours in each course, and most schools use these hours to revise. But the nature of James Ruse (and many selective schools, one of which I attend) means that such revision may not be necessary, and that the time could be spent introducing students to new course work. BOS policy does not see anything wrong with this, as far as I know, provided the indicative hours and syllabus dot points have been satisfied.

I can understand where you guys are coming from, but i dont think there is anything fishy. I say good on James Ruse for doing so bloody well! If only all schools were as passionate and motivated about learning!

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
also, acceleration isnt cheating...ITS BLOODY AWESOME! only three exams for me this HSC year! lol

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
helper said:
Critek. I will once again quote the BOS
So while you cannot teach the Year 11 and twelve syllabus, you are able to include in your 7-10 programs information that is taught in 11-12 to enhance the program.

From Science Examples:
H-R diagrams are not in the 7-10 syllabus but lots of schools go onto them because they enhance students understanding of the study of the universe.

Moles are not part of the 7-10 syllabus and balancing equations is an extension from the standard syllabus. Both are done at stages.

Ohm's law is an extension of the 7-10 syllabus. Power formulas and the like are not part of the syllabus but are commonly taught.

It is not a total ban on year 11 and 12 work that BOS has implemented but aa ban on teaching the syllabus.
ok i don't know how this guy's comment could have been ignored for 2 whole pgs in this thread. it solves the argument. full stop.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
bobness said:
ok i don't know how this guy's comment could have been ignored for 2 whole pgs in this thread. it solves the argument. full stop.
The main debate of this thread, died out ages ago. It's funny how every now and then, some lostie just posts some comment in this thread. lol

bassqueen16

HSC
its basically like saying that you can't read your english texts before school technically starts, weak and silly-no matter what u say theres always gonna be people who are gonna read ahead and u know what good luck to them.. u can just hope that because they skipped ahead that they missed something important :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
RanyofuKenyan? said:
James Ruse are all Asian, its like a mini China Town.
Lies! It's "multicultural".

HSC
neo_o said:
Lies! It's "multicultural".
Yeah true, they are all from different countries and cultures:

China
Japan
Vietnam
Singapore
India
Pakistan
Phillipines
Mongolia
North Korea
South Korea
Indonesia
Malaysia
Cambodia
Laos
Thailand
Myanmar
Bangladesh
Sri Lanka
different Asian countries and cultures that is.

Stan..

HSC
There are GPS Schools who used to do t-formulae in Yr11. Better watch out, some schools do circle geometry in Yr10. I am tired of these JR threads, the reason why they cane everyone's asses is because now when your complaining and bitching about how they cheat they are working their asses off. (Generalisation)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
bassqueen16 said:
its basically like saying that you can't read your english texts before school technically starts, weak and silly-no matter what u say theres always gonna be people who are gonna read ahead and u know what good luck to them.. u can just hope that because they skipped ahead that they missed something important :)
but the BOS say schools are not allowed to start their courses early

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Bottom line: No school begins the Preliminary and HSC course before the required time unless the students are accelerated. What is not allowed, is pretty much the DIRECT teaching of the Preliminary/HSC course before the intended time. In other words teachers cannot directly teach from the Preliminary/HSC syllabus in earlier years.
However, teachers are allowed to enhance their programs by indirectly making references to the Preliminary/HSC course in the junior curriculum. This is a strategy that teachers at JRAHS often adopt: to give the students a taste or preview of what is ahead of them in their senior years. They are not actually teaching them the contents of the Preliminary/HSC syllabus, so it's perfectly legal. Many other schools do this as well, especially with the presence of talented students.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Why should gifted students skip the crap you don't need (yes, you really don't need it) and have a year longer to learn the material, while the rest of us get 1 year + a year of crap we don't need?
this is my 2 cents...

fact is, this is a competitive world. if u dont succeed, u fail. simple as that. people only see numbers on a page to determine if u can get a job or not. if they want to get a better chance at getting a higher mark in the HSC, and by any legal and possible means, WHY THE HELL NOT? by your logic, in a game of chess, you only get 10 secs per move. no more, no less. sorry mate, chess doesn't operate like that. if you played chess, and there was a crucial move you had to make, you would want to have more than 10 secs to figure it out. SAME REASONING HERE. THEY CHOOSE TO SPEND MORE TIME TO LEARN THE HSC MATERIAL, EVEN IF IT IS OUT OF THEIR LEISURE. THEY CHOOSE TO SPEND 6 YEARS MORE WISELY AND MORE EFFICIENTLY THAN OTHER PEOPLE AND OTHER SCHOOLS.

same with soccer. do you know why brazil consistently wins a lot of world cups? THEY TAKE THEIR TIME. they plan their attack early, and strike at the right moment. james ruse sees accelerating to 'strike' at the right moment. because they have a majority of good students that are capable of doing so. AND IF THE SCHOOL DOESNT DO IT, THEN THEY WILL GO TO A TUTORING COLLEGE AND GET 'ENRICHMENT' THERE.

there is simply no way that the BOS can sanction material not to be taught or learnt until a certain level. the BOS doesnt have the power to say to a school "your not allowed to teach "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" in ur Poetry module for Year 10 English because it is a set text for Imaginative Journeys".

why not have the BOS just say "no material to be taught to any school until they reach yr 11, because they are are POTENTIALLY supplementary text for HSC English"

THEN WHY THE F**K DO WE HAVE SCHOOL FOR IN YR 7-10?

mate, people some people are born talented, some people arent so gifted. some people choose to capitalise on their talents, SO BE IT. some people want to work hard, SO BE IT.

if you want to accelerate, and you cant get into james ruse ASK YOUR SCHOOL IF YOU CAN ACCELERATE JUST YOURSELF. if not, GO TO A TUTORING COLLEGE. IF U CANT DO EITHER, TOUGH LUCK. LEARN THE HSC IN 2 YEARS. WELCOME TO EARTH. THIS IS A HARSH, CRUEL AND UNFAIR WORLD.

humans are greedy. we like to exploit. james ruse is purely one example, among MANY.

thewhitecomet

HSC
Stan.. said:
There are GPS Schools who used to do t-formulae in Yr11. Better watch out, some schools do circle geometry in Yr10. I am tired of these JR threads, the reason why they cane everyone's asses is because now when your complaining and bitching about how they cheat they are working their asses off. (Generalisation)
Hey, we did t-formula this year lol. and yes, circle geo was done in year 10.

I don't believe JR will blatantly cheat like that. There's something called acceleration and in my grade, they accelerated 110 boys in maths. I for one, did my 2U maths this year. and the truth is, anyone who takes their education seriously probably goes to a tutoring college who will teach beforehand everything. And people will always try to point the finger at some aspect or another- but the simple truth is... James Ruse works a lot harder than any other school. There's no easy option to do well in the HSC, you only get the highest UAIs by working your ass off, and that's exactly what JR is doing. No magic medicine, or cheating going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)