Jap vs Euro Cars (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL... well I'm a Euro guy now but I still remember my Evo roots. I'm currently driving a 10 year old German convertible and in all honesty, it eats my Evo for breakfast. Admittedly it cost significantly more than the Evo lol.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
LOL... well I'm a Euro guy now but I still remember my Evo roots. I'm currently driving a 10 year old German convertible and in all honesty, it eats my Evo for breakfast. Admittedly it cost significantly more than the Evo lol.
What happened to your c class?

Fonzie32

HSC
T_T No one needs to think about "euro is safer than jap".. It's flaming obvious until you're comparing Merc S classes to Lexus LS'.. Apples and oranges for golf vs civic...

Our 10 year old Merc was a tank compared to the new honda accords and still is.. Bonnet on the honda just bent and flexed with the tiniest pressure. Sit on the Mercs bonnet and it won't even budge.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think so dude, if you raced me in your new beast and I had your old Evo X I think I'd eat you alive on a proper bit of road :p

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
T_T No one needs to think about "euro is safer than jap".. It's flaming obvious until you're comparing Merc S classes to Lexus LS'.. Apples and oranges for golf vs civic...

Our 10 year old Merc was a tank compared to the new honda accords and still is.. Bonnet on the honda just bent and flexed with the tiniest pressure. Sit on the Mercs bonnet and it won't even budge.

Kia completely fucked up, volks has a tiny scratch. top. lel.

edit: i know kias korean, but this prove the point of safety in lots of euro cars.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What happened to your c class?
Still here; but I have fun driving another car too sometimes!

I don't think so dude, if you raced me in your new beast and I had your old Evo X I think I'd eat you alive on a proper bit of road :p
Nah, my Evo X had a 4.9 0-100km/h whereas this car does it in 4.5.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Still here; but I have fun driving another car too sometimes!

Nah, my Evo X had a 4.9 0-100km/h whereas this car does it in 4.5.
The Evo would monster this in the corners though.

who

HSC
German = Class/Prestige
Japanese = Performance

/thread
are you fucking retarded?
Germany doesn't = performance? you've got to be kidding me!
Porsche, Audi, Merc, BMW.. not ring a bell dickhead?
i don't know about you but I'm sure the majority of people think of budget and practicality when it comes to the Japs!

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Most of the car world is obsessed with power and prestige. Which is why Toyota unceremoniously became both the largest and most profitable carmaker in the world, because they made the cars most people actually wanted to buy, reliable and practical.

While decimating the market share of traditional volume makers, luxury markets were largely left alone for a time. There is no doubt that BMW and Mercedes are absolutely terrified of Lexus.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Most of the car world is obsessed with power and prestige. Which is why Toyota unceremoniously became both the largest and most profitable carmaker in the world, because they made the cars most people actually wanted to buy, reliable and practical.

While decimating the market share of traditional volume makers, luxury markets were largely left alone for a time. There is no doubt that BMW and Mercedes are absolutely terrified of Lexus.
You also have to understand the differences in labour costs as well. The big 3 german autos aren't making cars for the masses, that was never their intent. They were aimed at trying to make "the best cars" in the world. That's why the big 3 german autos seem to be copying each other all the time.

Toyato is the largest automaker but it's not that far ahead from Volkswagen, germany's common man's car maker.

You have to also remember the way japan conducts business through its keiretsu is very unique that gives them huge advantage over western markets.

Japanese cars are cost effective. That's the philosophy they've always been built around, cheap yet high quality. Germany's big 3 cars are built with comfort and performance in mind. When's the last time a non-euro car brand has won le mans or F1 (ok i know, eurocentrist racing)? American cars are built to have the biggest engine so it can go in a straight line really really fast, since most major highways in the US are just straight as fuck lol.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
American cars are built to have the biggest engine so it can go in a straight line really really fast, since most major highways in the US are just straight as fuck lol.
An another note, Nascar is so stupid...going around in a boring circle.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The big 3 german autos aren't making cars for the masses, that was never their intent. They were aimed at trying to make "the best cars" in the world.
They probably wanted to outsell lexus though. Which they didn't do in any single month in the US market from 1999 continuously until 2011 when natural disasters hampered lexus production.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
American cars are built to have the biggest engine so it can go in a straight line really really fast, since most major highways in the US are just straight as fuck lol.
American engines are pretty good for what they are. The GM LS series v8 for example are extremely compact and light (aided by its use of "ancient" pushrod technology).

Compare the specs of the current twin turbo BMW N63 V8 to the LS3 - which is not top of the line, and is also now obsolete due to the release of the LT1 in the C7 corvette.

The LS3 weighs less and takes up less space but makes essentially the same torque and horsepower (at similar RPM) without forced induction. Because some American's think it's a constitutional right to use the cheapest, lowest quality petrol they can find in performance cars, unlike the euro engines, they come stock in a low state of tune.

The LS7 also has comparable performance figures (better as it achieves peak torque/hp at lower rpm) to the AMG V8.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
They probably wanted to outsell lexus though. Which they didn't do in any single month in the US market from 1999 continuously until 2011 when natural disasters hampered lexus production.
I'm not saying lexus didn't do a good job of entering the high end market, they performed really well. But imo, it's just my opinion they're pretty much the same as toyotas with more bells and whistles and they're usually much cheaper than the german big 3's (since most have to be shipped to the US vs toyota production in USA).

I'm not sure about your numbers, lexus hasn't even broken a million sales whilst merc, bmw and audi sell more than 1.5 mil vehicles a year.

speaking of american cars, my friend sure does love his stingray

it goes really fast in a really straight line lol. Big engine with tiny horsepower for the size lol... 6.2L V8 with 460 HP. That shit's just big and cheap.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Big engine with tiny horsepower for the size lol... 6.2L V8 with 460 HP. That shit's just big and cheap.
Those C7 corvettes look really good in certain angles but no good in others unfortunately.

Anyway, that's not really "tiny horsepower" if you compare it to other V8s. The AMG 6.2 v8s in the (not so aptly named) C63 are pretty much exotic but don't make a whole lot more horsepower. The beauty of the GM V8s of the last 10 years or so are their physical size and weight. Even though they are ~6l they usually weight a little less and are physically a lot smaller than many 4-5l DOHC v8 engines.

Just to prove i'm not talking crap, this article has the facts for a lot of what i'm saying: http://www.caranddriver.com/columns...rt-38-modern-v-8s-from-gm-and-amg-slug-it-out

That article is talking about the ls3, the LT1 in the stingray is the next iteration so has slightly better economy, hp, torque etc.

Last edited:

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
+1. Stupidest kind of "racing". "yeah lets drive around in a circle cos its the most effective way of testing skill". 'Murica.
Nascar is more about driving in traffic than going through a track. still quite a lot of skills, even montoya (F1 racer) went to nascar and found it difficult. but nascar is boring as fuck to watch. good for crashes though. that shits a fucking redneck sport lol.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
+1. Stupidest kind of "racing". "yeah lets drive around in a circle cos its the most effective way of testing skill". 'Murica.
there is a lot more to nascar than that :haha:

It is boring as hell, but, there is a shit load more to it than just driving in circles...

JustDance

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Nascar is more about driving in traffic than going through a track. still quite a lot of skills, even montoya (F1 racer) went to nascar and found it difficult. but nascar is boring as fuck to watch. good for crashes though. that shits a fucking redneck sport lol.
My ex used to watch this, I could not belive someone could spend more then 1 minute watching that. And I dont find crashes to be cool. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)