japanese students 2006 [+korean] (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
hey, just wondering how many students we have doing japanese this year

i'm a 3rd year japanese major, doing japn3000, 3001 and 3900 this year

the content for japn3000 looks hard :confused:

i'm also doing kore1000 and kore1001 as a minor

~sora~

HSC
N/A
I'm doing Japanese 2A and 2B and most probably Korean 1A and 1B depending on how I go with the placement test.

I heard that Japanese level 3 has a heavy work load, with lots of tasks that's worth very little. My friends recommended to get a good partner for group work, because if you are stuck with a lazy partner it's really hard. Since the project consists of several time consuming tasks, each one isn't worth a lot but it adds up to a big percentage of the assessment mark or something. I can't remember if it was 3A or 3B tho. Good luck :).

I did Korean 1A in 2004 but only for 6 weeks or so because I got sick and had to defer for a year. It's pretty light in terms of assessments. But if we have Dr Evon as our lecturer then we will probably have weekly dictation tests for 10 weeks which is worth 3% each. They weren't that difficult but I only did a couple, besides that they had 2 tests (mid-term and final) and speaking test.

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
My friend did Korean as a Gen Ed last year and said that the lecturer was a funny Korean guy, so eh.

I also heard that Japanese level 3 is pretty hard, I bought the text and they're difficult! Argh

umm, as for Japanese 2a and 2b, Iida sensei is really nice, but the speech you have to do in 2B is annoying. You have to choose a topic, research it and write a 3 min speech about it. I only got credit last year for japanese :(

~sora~

HSC
N/A
Yeah, my friend did Korean 1A last year and had a Korean lecturer, and they didn't have dictation every week either. They were lucky because Gregory Evon was on leave last year for the first semester.

I don't know how they would be assessing us this year since the language depts like to change it around every know and then. But I've just checked the korean dept's website and it seems that Dr Gregory Evon is taking Korean 1A and 1B this year. So we will most probably will have weekly dictations. Since he told the class in 2004 that even though Dictation is a pain the butt, he feels it is a important element of learning language or something. Hopefully we get lucky and don't have weekly dictation :).

But from the brief outline of assessments from the handbook it looks like weekly dictations (because it said continuing assessment), speaking test, mid-term and final exams. I did Japanese 1A for abit in 2004 as well, and I found that Korean was much easier and assessments more simpler. If you get Hangul (korean alphabet) down pat it should make the whole course much easier.

Thanks for the heads up for Japanese 2A and 2B, Kanji is going to be a bitch for me :(. I am dreading it, it looks like twice as much Kanji and hell of alot more of grammar then 1A and 1B :confused: . I wish I had Kanji background ^^.

kaitoufion

HSC
In Japanese level 3, you need to do a presentation EVERY week ^.^"
Usually it's either a 3-5min speech or a 3-4 pages essay. This is the part that most people find it difficult because you need to spend time preparing it, not just handing in homeworks in Level 1 & 2 :)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Gosh, Japanese lvl 3 definitely sounds challenging, I'm torn between doing Japanese as my first year minor or Psychology...lol and still thinking rite now, though I chose Japanese for now.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
woohoo, i already know hangul! hooray

but weekly presentations for japn3000? :S and im doing japn2500... gonna drop down from japn3900, i dont wanna do honours anymore :(

~sora~

HSC
N/A
babydoll_ said:
woohoo, i already know hangul! hooray

but weekly presentations for japn3000? :S and im doing japn2500... gonna drop down from japn3900, i dont wanna do honours anymore :(
Lucky! My hangul is so bad :(. As for Japanese honours, I wanted to do it too before, but they are too restrictive in their conditions to do it. Most courses I know of in Arts to do honours, you only have to do have a credit average. But for Japanese they want that plus distinction average in Japanese and for you to do electives x,y and z :|.

bubz :D said:
doing japn2000 and japn2500 this sem

yay for 6 - 8pm tute
I am doing the same tut too, but I probably end up changing, I don't think I can cope with 3hrs Korean and 3hrs Japanese in one day :confused: .

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
hey sora-sshi, which one were you? i was the chick who already had the textbook :/ serves me right for being keen. the lecturer was a bit weird :/

and argh japanese is hard, we're not allowed to speak in english in class anymore! >_<

~sora~

HSC
N/A
babydoll_ said:
hey sora-sshi, which one were you? i was the chick who already had the textbook :/ serves me right for being keen. the lecturer was a bit weird :/

and argh japanese is hard, we're not allowed to speak in english in class anymore! >_<
Hey babydoll-sshi, actually I came and spoke to the person who was sitting next to you and we exchanged names ^^. How weird, I only spoke to 2 people I didn't know before and you were one of them ^^. Yeah, he is a bit lol, especially with ung and okayyy lol.

Japanese seems hard for me as well :( even though it's level down from what you are studying. We have an assessment due in week 3 :S. And soooooo much kanji to learn :(. But nowhere near as hard as level 3, I suspect.

But on a happy note, yay \o/ no weekly dictation for Korean 1A.

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
i'm doing japanese 2A and japn2500 this session.

Had s-tute today (well, yesterday .. wed), man how animated is Nakamura-sensei .. pretty different to the other teachers I've had (maybe except Mashimo-sensei).

And japn2500 seems difficult even after 1st lecture. Lecturer proudly announcing he has a hello kitty clock = highlight for my friend.

~sora~ said:
We have an assessment due in week 3 :S.
huh we do?

btw is anyone thinking of doing/has done japn2700 (talking japanese pop culture)? Is it any good?

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
ahah yeah i had nakamura sensei today too.. god she is craaaazy!! which s-tute are you in?

japn2500... gahhh. i was nodding off during parts of it, and very glad it was cut short... i don't know how i'm going to survive the rest of semester!

~sora~

HSC
N/A
Kazuya said:
Had s-tute today (well, yesterday .. wed), man how animated is Nakamura-sensei .. pretty different to the other teachers I've had (maybe except Mashimo-sensei).
Yeah Nakamura sensei is that and what bubz said lol. Btw, were you in the class where she said "don't have your mobile on in class or I will be jealous" speech :rofl: after someone's mobile rang?

Kazuya said:
huh we do??
Sorry, I should have said part of an assessment task due the sakubun draft.

Kazuya said:
btw is anyone thinking of doing/has done japn2700 (talking japanese pop culture)? Is it any good?
Couple of people I knew did 'Japanese pop culture' and they all said it was very fun subject. I also know one person doing that subject this semester, he said it was quite fun and interesting so far. That they are discussing origins of animes and manga and stuff like that. Apparently Armour sensei is teaching it, but Iida-sensei teaches part of the course as well (the J-pop section). I would love to do that subject but I am saving my Japanese credits for my exchange.

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
ahah yeah i had nakamura sensei today too.. god she is craaaazy!! which s-tute are you in?
Wednesday 2-3pm, what about you? Had 3 hr break cos 2500 finished so early, was on quad lawn yet still managed to walk in late.

~sora~ said:
were you in the class where she said "don't have your mobile on in class or I will be jealous" speech after someone's mobile rang?
i think so .. you mean when she was saying she would answer and be like "dare desu ka??" and make the caller jealous ... especially for the guys

"Minna san wakarimasu ka? Wakarimasu ka????" "Ch..chotto mattteeeee!!!" "Itai itai itai itai itai.." I think she must be a seiyuu

Yeah japn2700 seems really good ... I looked at some course readings though and it looks like 2500, like studying the underlying history/theory of pop culture but not much study of anime/manga/music themselves. Just hope the music aspect of it isn't too small

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
haha we're all in the same s-tute!!
i was sitting up the back :p
haha really, same class? hmm if you mean back row then i think i know

in which case i think i was in your tute last sem too

hey does anyone go to j-club on whatever day it's on

and anybody thinking of going on exchange

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
grrr! o-namae wa?

*tries to picture someone from the same tute last sem...*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)