japanese study (1 Viewer)

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
we're using wakatta, i reckon this textbook's pretty good. i think our school's going too fast cuz we'd nearly finished both the continuers and extension course

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No, that's not too unremarkable. A quick run over the course, then plenty of time to look over any problems in detail, or perhaps focus on areas you didn't immediately pick up. A lot of people would kill for the amount of "revision" time you'll get. :)

I have a feeling that your class is at this speed because your teacher feels you're all sufficiently talented to take it? At least that's how it happened with us. Our teachers were of the mind that if we couldn't take the pace we didn't belong in the course, and four people dropped out (from 14).

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
there's really not that much to cover in the courses.. like i never really did any full on last minute study for jap cont.. i just worked through the grammar+vocab steadily on top of memorising some complex sentences to use. there isn't much to learn for extension either, just go through the texts and topics for issues. i stressed out heaps about ext cos we kept missing lessons and didn't spend much time on the text at all, but basically just bullshit your way through and it's all good. q1 of ext paper is a dead give away, put in lots of techniques you'd write for an english paper and you'll get full marks easy.

also it helps stacks if you do well in speaking, but if you don't (i didn't) it's not worth stressing about cos the written exam is worth heaps more.
i got into the top band for both cont and ext btw

otkao1

hay guys,
is it true that we should write the hiragana reading for any kanji that is in not in the syllabus that we use?
(ExT and CoN.)
And to all people who are doing extension, what book are you guys reading?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Well it's a matter of opinion. Many teachers say you shouldn't be using many kanji not in the syllabus because chances are you'll get them wrong, and that won't look good. If you get them right you'll look impressive but it won't score any marks (since the kanji won't be assessable).

If you want to use those extra kanji, but don't want to lose marks for doing them badly, then I guess furigana is your best bet. That way, even if you do mess up, the marker will at least know what you're trying to say. I always put furigana above (next to) my kanji when they weren't required for this reason.

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
i guess you've also got to consider the fact that writing the kanji can also take away from you ji count. so if you find that you can't write enough, maybe consider writing out the long hiragana instead of the kanji if it's not assessable

minako~k

relly? cause when I did jap they marked me down for using out of syllabus kanji (yes I know some cos I'm honkie).. and they marked me down a lot :(

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by frodo
i guess you've also got to consider the fact that writing the kanji can also take away from you ji count. so if you find that you can't write enough, maybe consider writing out the long hiragana instead of the kanji if it's not assessable
That doesn't work, because when they read the piece it will still seem short, lacking substance (like thin soup). This is for extension mind, because in extension you're expected to learn a pile of extra kanji.
Originally posted by minako~k
relly? cause when I did jap they marked me down for using out of syllabus kanji (yes I know some cos I'm honkie).. and they marked me down a lot :(
Nobody can mark you down for correctly using kanji that aren't in the syllabus. Ever. They CAN mark you down if the characters you used aren't found in Japanese, or if they are different (or even if they aren't used properly). It's much more likely that this is what happened, rather than just because they weren't in the syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)