Japanese (1 Viewer)

Cheezels

Shackled Shadow
HSC
Currently, I'm a first year and I'm enrolled in Japanese Communications 3A (I'm also doing Commerce) and what I'm aware of, so far, is that there's 4 levels of Japanse, the highest being 4B. The thing is, what happens after I complete Japanese Communications 4B, which would be at the end of my 2nd year? What would I be doing for the rest of the 3 years? Does anyone have a clue?

Also, I heard that starting from 2nd year, I can potentially do 2 Art courses (which require 24 units of credit) - is that the case? If so, could I do another language, say, French?

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
I believe you just proceed with electives and the Professional Language Core.

There's no reason why you can't take another language if you want to (and have the arts credit to do so). I'm taking Japanese and Korean right now.

karoooh

HSC
Cheezels said:
Currently, I'm a first year and I'm enrolled in Japanese Communications 3A (I'm also doing Commerce) and what I'm aware of, so far, is that there's 4 levels of Japanse, the highest being 4B. The thing is, what happens after I complete Japanese Communications 4B, which would be at the end of my 2nd year? What would I be doing for the rest of the 3 years? Does anyone have a clue?

Also, I heard that starting from 2nd year, I can potentially do 2 Art courses (which require 24 units of credit) - is that the case? If so, could I do another language, say, French?
Do French! I'm doing it with Japanese ATM - Soooo much fun. :eek:

@uhawww: How are you finding Korean? Is it harder than Japanese? Is it similar?

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
karoooh said:
@uhawww: How are you finding Korean? Is it harder than Japanese? Is it similar?
I'm finding it harder than Japanese at the moment, I'm finding the sound system hard and some words just won't stick :\ Some things seem similar to Japanese but other things are totally different. But yeah, Japanese has been wayyy easier, but that might just be due to the fact I'm putting a lot more energy into Japanese. The good thing about Korean is the alphabet though, easy to read/write.. just hard(er) to pronounce.

Fun though :santa:

Cheezels

Shackled Shadow
HSC
It'd be good if I can do another language - it's going to require a lot of effort though since for Japanese 3A, we're going at a relatively quick pace and there's quite a few assignment thingies I have to do and are due pretty soon after each other. It's so hard!

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Cheezels said:
It'd be good if I can do another language - it's going to require a lot of effort though since for Japanese 3A, we're going at a relatively quick pace and there's quite a few assignment thingies I have to do and are due pretty soon after each other. It's so hard!
I just figured the work load of another beginners course (assuming you want to start at French Beginners) isn't that much compared to taking another subject anyway.

Cheezels

Shackled Shadow
HSC
I wonder if there are any non-first years who can clarify my original question for me?

leski

HSC
babydoll, need ur advice on japanese grammar study.

i am in japn2000 after the replacement test. actually, i only did one year japanese in tafe, which is not the same as jpan1000. i only learned polite form there.

i felt nervous while i was in the classroom atm. the grammar points, they only go through once in the tutorial week, and they do not offer any grammar practice after class. it's harder than i expected. what should i do?

many thx in advance.

karoooh

HSC
@Cheezels: Are you doing Com/Arts? Cos a friend of mine is and she's mentioned a number of times about taking 2 Arts and 2 Com subjects come 2nd year, so you should be right with taking up French.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
leski: it gets a bit like that. If you are willing to spend the money, try and get a copy of Nakama 1 and read it cover to cover. I would offer you mine but I only have Nakama 2.

Also, talk to your sensei, he/she might be willing to give you a bit of extra tuition to help you catch up, or a little bit of leeway. The senseis are really nice if you just talk to them nicely... talking to them in polite Japanese also helps lots!

Your best bet is just to study really hard, and maybe find a Japanese friend or a higher level student you can practise and study with. My japanese is REALLY bad (i only just passed 3B) so I can't help you. J-club is a good place to look.

klaw

HSC
Leski you can read my Nakama 1 book while teaching me (I do JAPN1000). Win-win situation? :D

leski

HSC
thanks a lot babydoll. i photocopied some parts of N1, but i really wanna do some grammar practice. Also, i will make an appointment with iita sensei next week.

klaw: maybe we can study together some day in compus.

Japanese grammar is a headache.**が痛い

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Iida sensei is one of the best senseis you'll get. She's a really lovely woman and she's really understanding about students who are new to Japanese. Make the most of your time with her.

And yeah, I hate grammar. There's a lot of it, and it can get complicated. I found that reading actual Japanese manga helps you pick up on kanji and grammar, but doesn't help much if you only know polite Japanese... but learning casual and written style is something you should pick up anyway.

leski

HSC
babydoll, J-club is Nippon Students Association or not? I joined NSA, but haven't meet them yet since some timetable clashed.

I will see iita sensei on wed. i plan to do some grammar practice in n1, which i already borrowed from library. Iita sensei might give me some advice or answer sheet at least. i hope.

now, we have dictation each week. i got the lowest mark in my tutorial today. so frustrated. anyway, i will try my best to do it. :mad1:

Cheezels

Shackled Shadow
HSC
Thanks for the reply babydoll, even though new questions have risen. Is there a professional language core or something of the sort for Japanese? I'd probably prefer that over learning about Japanese culture. I'm not too keen on the idea of using up my quota for Japanese on culture - if I had to, I'll probably choose something more employable like business talk in Japanese even though it might be boring :S.

Cheezels

Shackled Shadow
HSC
karoooh said:
@Cheezels: Are you doing Com/Arts? Cos a friend of mine is and she's mentioned a number of times about taking 2 Arts and 2 Com subjects come 2nd year, so you should be right with taking up French.
I am doing Comm/Arts. I'd like to take up French if that option is possible but my parents may make me do Chinese since I don't have a sound foundation for that language.

Cheezels

Shackled Shadow
HSC
Bah...making 3 posts in a row looks weird. But anyways, another question.

Babydoll, since you've done 3B, was the textbook for 3B different for 3A? I can't seem to find any text lists for 3B so I'm guessing that the textbook for 3A is also for 3B but I'd like a confirmation :)

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Cheezels said:
Thanks for the reply babydoll, even though new questions have risen. Is there a professional language core or something of the sort for Japanese? I'd probably prefer that over learning about Japanese culture. I'm not too keen on the idea of using up my quota for Japanese on culture - if I had to, I'll probably choose something more employable like business talk in Japanese even though it might be boring :S.
http://languages.arts.unsw.edu.au/japan/japanundergrad.html

Cheezels

Shackled Shadow
HSC
leski said:
babydoll, J-club is Nippon Students Association or not? I joined NSA, but haven't meet them yet since some timetable clashed.

I will see iita sensei on wed. i plan to do some grammar practice in n1, which i already borrowed from library. Iita sensei might give me some advice or answer sheet at least. i hope.

now, we have dictation each week. i got the lowest mark in my tutorial today. so frustrated. anyway, i will try my best to do it. :mad1:
Is this the Kanji dictation? Although I've not done JAPN2000, I have Kanji dictation tests every now and then which are counted towards my grade - I got 4/5 for my last one. What I suggest to you is to make practise lists, where one column has the hiragana for the prescribed kanji and the other as blank. In the blank column, you write the Kanji which matches the hiragana. That way, you can somewhat better familiarise yourself with Kanji - it works for me at least. Good luck - i know that Kanji can be a killer :mad1: By the way, it's Iida, not Iita :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)