JCU Application (1 Viewer)

jaycoo

HSC
Hey y'all!

I have a friend who really wants to do medicine when he leaves school. He is worried he won't receive the appropriate atar to do medicine in Sydney. He is thinking of doing medicine at James Cook University (Queensland).
Does anyone know how he would apply? Would he have to apply through QTAC and UAC?

Please help. He is really worried!

Jinks

HSC
Hey y'all!

I have a friend who really wants to do medicine when he leaves school. He is worried he won't receive the appropriate atar to do medicine in Sydney. He is thinking of doing medicine at James Cook University (Queensland).
Does anyone know how he would apply? Would he have to apply through QTAC and UAC?

Im going to go with QTAC as each state tends to have an individual admissions process.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Hey y'all!

-Write a boss application and get it post marked by September 30th or something I cant remember the date you have to look it up.
- Get someone at your school to fill out an ATAR estimate that's reasonably high
- Apply via QTAC with JCU as your first preference (or you have even less chance if its below your 3rd preference)
- Oh yeah, also do well in the HSC.
- Pray you get an interview
- You get an interview
- Do well in the interview
- Worry about your ATAR coming out
- Get ATAR, its alright
- QTAC releases offers around January 15th or so
- Wish you get a spot
- You get a spot.
- *claps*

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Is it me or does JCU's med admission seem far too relaxed

onytae

HSC
Uni Grad
JCU is probably the easiest med program to get in. Best option

jeek

HSC
N/A
-Write a boss application and get it post marked by September 30th or something I cant remember the date you have to look it up.
- Get someone at your school to fill out an ATAR estimate that's reasonably high
- Apply via QTAC with JCU as your first preference (or you have even less chance if its below your 3rd preference)
- Oh yeah, also do well in the HSC.
- Pray you get an interview
- You get an interview
- Do well in the interview
- Worry about your ATAR coming out
- Get ATAR, its alright
- QTAC releases offers around January 15th or so
- Wish you get a spot
- You get a spot.
- *claps*

Hi!

I was wondering how high the ATAR estimate should be?
I got 97 for my ATAR estimate- not sure if thats high enough

Thank you!

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
97 is more than high enough to secure and interview.

What matters know is whether you wrote an amazing application or not- that will be the determining factor. I can guarantee that.

Sasha123

HSC
97 is more than high enough to secure and interview.

What matters know is whether you wrote an amazing application or not- that will be the determining factor. I can guarantee that.
So will it negatively impact my chances if my real atar is below what my estimate was (i put a high estimate because I just really wanted to get it!)

BTW if i get the bonded places (i think thats what it is called - the one where you have to work in rural area) is there a way of getting out of it? I heard that if you pay a sum amount of money you can break the contract...? Is this true for JCU?

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Yes I heard it was 75K. ^^ But why ? Only for BMP though, not for RBMS. I dont even care, as long I as make it into medicine, I am literally willing to work in a rural area for 10-15 years.
I need a good atar. I am sitting on a 97. Probably wont make it in cos so many people trying. :(

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
So will it negatively impact my chances if my real atar is below what my estimate was (i put a high estimate because I just really wanted to get it!)

BTW if i get the bonded places (i think thats what it is called - the one where you have to work in rural area) is there a way of getting out of it? I heard that if you pay a sum amount of money you can break the contract...? Is this true for JCU?
No. The estimate is used to get and interview in conjunction with your written application.

The interview/ATAR you actually get/written application are all equally weighed and worth 1/3 each.

Writing that application is as important as everything you'll put into the HSC.

I had an estimate of 98 and ended up actually getting 94. I got both a first round interview and first round offer as my application and interview were very strong.

With regards to bonded places... who cares? If you actually read the contract, it states you only have to work a minimum of 20 hours a week for 3 months of the year for the length of your degree.

I've heard of people working two 10 hour days in the blue mountains (closest place to Sydney I think you can pay off your bond) by driving up there on sunday and returning on Tuesday night.

I'm a bonded student and it doesn't bother me. I guaranteed a job, it gives me an excuse to travel and explore Australia, plus I get invitations to go to rural conferences and networking events all the time to establish connections.

Alternatively, yes you can pay it off. Not sure of the exact figure though.. probs between 70-100k.

Sasha123

HSC
No. The estimate is used to get and interview in conjunction with your written application.

The interview/ATAR you actually get/written application are all equally weighed and worth 1/3 each.

Writing that application is as important as everything you'll put into the HSC.

I had an estimate of 98 and ended up actually getting 94. I got both a first round interview and first round offer as my application and interview were very strong.

With regards to bonded places... who cares? If you actually read the contract, it states you only have to work a minimum of 20 hours a week for 3 months of the year for the length of your degree.

I've heard of people working two 10 hour days in the blue mountains (closest place to Sydney I think you can pay off your bond) by driving up there on sunday and returning on Tuesday night.

I'm a bonded student and it doesn't bother me. I guaranteed a job, it gives me an excuse to travel and explore Australia, plus I get invitations to go to rural conferences and networking events all the time to establish connections.

Alternatively, yes you can pay it off. Not sure of the exact figure though.. probs between 70-100k.

Oh okay, i thought i only had to work for 6 years at a place THEY choose full time (not just 3 months i legit thought it was for the whole year), so i thought it would be so long before i actually settle down.
Okay well now i dont mind getting bonded place, as long as I make it into med.

Thankyou

Sasha123

HSC
Yes I heard it was 75K. ^^ But why ? Only for BMP though, not for RBMS. I dont even care, as long I as make it into medicine, I am literally willing to work in a rural area for 10-15 years.
I need a good atar. I am sitting on a 97. Probably wont make it in cos so many people trying. :(
dude you will make it. I 97 is quite good, and i think in some other forums that is what people say you will need for JCU. Well good luck anyways who knows what will happen in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)