JCU Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery prerequisites (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
Hello all,

My understanding of a prerequisite is a subject that you need to complete before you can gain entry to a course. Is this correct?

The prerequisites for JCU's Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery are:

Prerequisite/s:
English, Maths B and Chemistry (Physics desirable)#

What I would like to know is whether or not you can gain entry into the course without completing the prerequisites. It just seems strange to me that JCU has these prerquisites when not any university that I know of, in NSW, has any prerequisites for medicine other than UMAT and an interview with an ATAR of 95.00+. Does UMAT test chemistry skills and mathematics?

It says on JCU's website that if a physics course is not completed at high school, the JCU bridging course must be taken. Would it be possible to be accepted without having studied chem and maths? Couldn't you just take bridging courses from TAFE's Statement of Attainment in preparing for mathematics and science further study?

I know that it is a bit early for me to be thinking about this, but I'm just curious. Thank you.

Regards,

James

juggernaut

HSC
Sounds like a way for the uni to make money tbh. If its listed as a prerequisite then unfortunately you must present some proof of completion of some related course. in most cases this will require the student taking up the bridging course in the holidays - ie, big $$$ for the uni.

i remember they list maths + chem/phs as "assumed knowledge" on the physio degree and everyones liek OH SHIT MUST DO THE BRIDGING COURSE OR IM SCREWED

it ended up like you needed yr 10 maths for biomechanics (the assumed knowledge was literally basic trig), literally no physics knowledge was needed (everything was taught even the basics of newtowns laws), and i dont think ive ever done anything chemistry related - did do some acids + bases in the renal system but again, EVERYTHING IS TAUGHT FROM THE BEGINNING

assumed knowledges are sooo stupid !

Schoey93

HSC
That's despicable! Universities shouldn't do that. If you don't need to have studied a subject to understand a subject in the course, it shouldn't be listed as a prerequisite or assumed knowledge.

Do you go to USYD? Did you fall for the trap of taking the university delivered bridging courses, not because you were interested in the subjects, but because you were worried that you would do poorly in the course without studying them?

Edit: Can anyone who has done or is doing JCU's Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery please comment on whether or not the prerequisites are actually needed to understand subjects in the first year of the course? Thanks.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Prerequisite means that you must have done it or an equivalent to it before the course starts/or when the application is due. It's best to contact the uni about what you can do about it and to see what courses are acceptable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)