• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

jew dont have orignal sin do they? (1 Viewer)

kalinda

HSC
some one just asked me this i dont think theu do but just clarifing?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
the concept is a christian one but it does have its basis in the Old Testament.... interesting question. Where's a rabbi when you need one!!

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Apparently now christians/Catholics dont' believe in the concept of original sin anymore. We had a debate about this in religion a couple of weeks ago and our teacher went at asked our priest about it and yeah he was saying something that it was not longer a belief in the church.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i'm sure i've read something about this somewhere!

could be in the 2nd vatican council? maybe

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
im abit thick when it comes to religion, but could someone please explain what exactly is meant by "original sin"?

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
All humans are born with sin, because of Adam and Eve *shakes fist at Adam and eve*

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
can we get rid of this sin? or are we sinned for life?

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
does that mean you could just keep on sinning, because youll be sinned for life anyway and therefore go to hell anyway? so it wouldnt matter what you do anymore

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
well technically for christians when you are baptised you are clensed of all sin....
so it's really a circular argument

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
and jews have their sins forgiven every year during yom kippur, so it seems like original sin wouldnt apply to them

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
"one baptism for the forgiveness of all sins" (from the nicene creed)
the idea of baptism is again based upon Jewish concepts (as most Christian things are) -"mikvah" (male equivalent??) or ritual cleansing. The Christian version comes from John the Baptist--- his efforts of ritual cleansing...linked with the atonement of sin? (also yom kippur as ezzy mentioned).
As mentioned original sin is essentially a jewish idea (as in Adam and Eve) but Im not sure if Jews 'hold' it the same 'light' (as they really dont have concepts of heaven and hell like Christians) as Christians do (particularly pentecostal, baptist and evangelical/bible-based churches)..... would be interested if someone coould shed some light on the 'offical' Jewish view of this

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
snapperhead said:
"one baptism for the forgiveness of all sins" (from the nicene creed)
the idea of baptism is again based upon Jewish concepts (as most Christian things are) -"mikvah" (male equivalent??) or ritual cleansing.
Is mikvah that place where Jewish women bathe every month before they are allowed to have sex with their husbands?

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
"The divine commandment of immersion in a mikvah can be seen as a transition from a connection to death to the renewal of life. Beneath the mikvah’s waters, a woman rejuvenates herself and once again becomes a potential partner with G-d and her husband in the act of creation. She emerges from the life-giving waters “Born anew” and ready to conceive anew"
from http://jew.dp.ua/english/mikva.htm

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Yeah...but Im sure there is a male equivalent hence John the Baptist doing his thing in the desert. Thats why I put "male equivalent" as I dont know the name...

Igor

HSC
N/A
What was John the Baptist's "thing"? I've not heard of a male equivalent to mikvah, but the reason women do it is because of 'women's problems' (shhhh... someones talking about women's problems on the net...). all the rules concerned with sex and the rituals people went through (esp. women) at specific times were meant to increase 'fertility'. kind of like the "rythm method", but in reverse.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
In the New Testament (or Christian scriptures if you are being politically correct!!), there was this guy called John (a 'prophet' from God some say) who was recalling people back to their faith/the old ways (early Judaism before the pharisees etc...kinda like Jesus' message as well) by emersing them in water (or what Christians call baptism)...ritual cleansing, absolution of sin etc etc etc... based upon the same ritual practice of mikvah I think but men and women did it...He baptised Jesus hence we know men did it.... like I ssaid, Im not too sure on this. Just piecing bits together to make up something!!

Igor

HSC
N/A
interesting... thanks acmilian. and cheers snapperhead. you learn somthing new everyday. i think the reason its more generally known for women to go to mikvah is the practical uses for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)