JMP GPA and DNF grades (1 Viewer)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Hey guys,

So I called UoN the other day and asked if a 4.1 GPA would be sufficient for a completed degree JMP entry and I was told it should be fine (I have an average mark of 63 and hence why USyd doesn't use GPA - a lot of 64s that only count as 4 not 5, ack). I have a BSci from USyd majoring in pharmacology and immunobiology and yes, I failed two advanced maths subjects because I decided I didn't want to turn up, hence the terrible GPA. There is nothing I can do about this now except for maybe apply to USyd for getting one of them counted as a DNF rather than F. so, two questions:
1. Has anyone heard anything to the contrary of a 4.1 being acceptable from UoN/UNE themselves? I figure they advertise it as "better than a pass average" rather than an exact number so they can exercise judgement on what they find acceptable or not...
2. Calculated from UoN's website, I currently have exactly 4, but if I get this half subject counted as a DNF it goes up to 4.1. Anyone had any experience applying to sydney (or another uni) for a retrospective regrading as a DNF? I have the medical records to back it up and have written an incredibly impassioned letter to the dean of science to see if I can get this regraded. If I could get the two half subjects in my first year to be regraded I'd have 4.3 but I don't think they will look favourably upon something that happened four years ago - they say the limit is one year old.

Excuse the verbosity - but any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

ps. Yes I exceed the umat interview cut off so that isn't an issue at all.

Medman

HSC
You can always try but I can't help you with regards to past experiences.

You definitely should have done this ages ago I think 4 years will probably be too long for them to do anything. Even without regrading your marks aren't the greatest. I have no idea why you did advanced maths, if I had to redo it again I would pick the most basic maths. I hope you have considered the difficulty of medicine and if you do have an ongoing health issue this may become a cycle. I have tried in medicine harder than I have tried in science and I can get no where near the marks I have gotten in science the discrepancy is like 10% difference.

I do wish you the best but hope you have considered your options.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Yeah if I could redo it all I would have done it so incredibly different. Health issue has since been mostly resolved, and I was always the type of person who excelled in school (scholarship to a private school, etc) so the academics of medicine doesn't worry me too much. A lot of other factors were in play from year twelve until the last year of my degree due to a death within my immediate family, and a ridiculous determination (and being too proud) to never ask for any sort of concession when I really needed it. I know there is nothing I can do about the first year ones, had I cared about anything at the time I would definitely have protested it, but I have one from last year that I am going to try my luck at getting changed. And yes, advanced maths was the worst decision ever - was still in the high school 4 unit mentality - got credits in first sem and then couldn't make all the lectures in second and bam.
Oh well, looks like a year of nursing then I'll transfer. At least that will help get my head back in the game!

Medman

HSC
Yeah if I could redo it all I would have done it so incredibly different. Health issue has since been mostly resolved, and I was always the type of person who excelled in school (scholarship to a private school, etc) so the academics of medicine doesn't worry me too much. A lot of other factors were in play from year twelve until the last year of my degree due to a death within my immediate family, and a ridiculous determination (and being too proud) to never ask for any sort of concession when I really needed it. I know there is nothing I can do about the first year ones, had I cared about anything at the time I would definitely have protested it, but I have one from last year that I am going to try my luck at getting changed. And yes, advanced maths was the worst decision ever - was still in the high school 4 unit mentality - got credits in first sem and then couldn't make all the lectures in second and bam.
Oh well, looks like a year of nursing then I'll transfer. At least that will help get my head back in the game!
I do feel for you. Things like that happen suddenly and can happen at the worst of times. Luckily I haven't been in that position before so I feel fortunate. I have seen the impact on people in such situations and it's easy to say get over it but really it isn't. Try your best to change what you can because you never know. It doesn't hurt to try and get rejected.

Seems like you definitely have the intellectual capabilities to pursue medicine. You live and you learn. I do wish you the best and hope that you will be able to pursue your passion!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)