JMP - Newcastle interviews (1 Viewer)

m000

HSC
N/A
does anyone know the cut off this year for uws?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
m000 said:
does anyone know the cut off this year for uws?
Please read the UWS thread which will give you an idea of the new process and a rough estimate of the cut-off. If you have not been contacted by the university by early next week please email L.mcculloch@uws.edu.au regarding your application.

narrowpin

HSC
umm, has anyone not received their letter yet who is in sydney and should have(because they have a good umat)?

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
cccclaire said:
Can anyone tell me a bit about the newcastle style of interviewing? Apparently it's a lot more "serious" than UNSW?
From my experience, certainly more serious than UNSW - that one was almost absurdly relaxed for me. You've got your hypotheticals and your "why do you want to study here"s - pretty standard stuff from an interview at any university not named UNSW or UWS.

But people's reports of the interview experience were highly variable - some people told me that the UNCLE interviewers were incredibly warm and approachable - whereas I lucked out and got the douchebag guy who tried to make my interview a living hell.

rodders1

HSC
I just got mine, dont remember what my umat was but it was quite shitty. i got UNSW and JMP but not UWS, i think i was in the 80th percentile. My friends was in the 89th and he did not get UWS either, how good do they want?

good luck to everyone else waiting for the snail mail.

PrettyVacant

HSC
The thing is, people with 96th Percentiles for UMAT did not get considered for UWS medicine because they only weight 50% for section 3 and that is where people did get their scores up.

So they counted it like
100% s1 and s2, 50% of s3
And if that new score's above 151, you're interviewed. 144 if you live in GWS.
People with 186 UMAT did not get interviews from UWS but people with 173 did, it's all thanks to the new weighting of UMAT.

Also, the Newcastle interview is the maker and breaker of all things. It now counts for 100% of your applications success, UMAT is only considered when two applicants have the same interview score and they have to choose one. It is a threshold thing, as long as you get 93.8 UAI, it's ALL THE INTERVIEW.

Same with Adelaide Dentistry if you're interested.

PrettyVacant

HSC
willemhenskens said:
Hey i got 172 in umat... do i get a JMP interview?
I thought you were not allowed to sit UMAT til yr 12 otherwise you get a 3 year ban from sitting the UMAT again from ACER once they find out.

cccclaire

HSC
partelephant said:
From my experience, certainly more serious than UNSW - that one was almost absurdly relaxed for me. You've got your hypotheticals and your "why do you want to study here"s - pretty standard stuff from an interview at any university not named UNSW or UWS.

But people's reports of the interview experience were highly variable - some people told me that the UNCLE interviewers were incredibly warm and approachable - whereas I lucked out and got the douchebag guy who tried to make my interview a living hell.
yeh my friend told me sometimes they try playing "good cop - bad cop" to see how you respond.

Also because this ones a lot more serious than UNSW, do you think they'd mind if some of your answers to the standard questions (e.g. why do you want to study medicine?) are a bit pre-prepared?

Also, dress should be fairly fancy yeh? I heard they can be quite conservative.

cccclaire

HSC
PrettyVacant said:
The thing is, people with 96th Percentiles for UMAT did not get considered for UWS medicine because they only weight 50% for section 3 and that is where people did get their scores up.

So they counted it like
100% s1 and s2, 50% of s3
And if that new score's above 151, you're interviewed. 144 if you live in GWS.
People with 186 UMAT did not get interviews from UWS but people with 173 did, it's all thanks to the new weighting of UMAT.

Also, the Newcastle interview is the maker and breaker of all things. It now counts for 100% of your applications success, UMAT is only considered when two applicants have the same interview score and they have to choose one. It is a threshold thing, as long as you get 93.8 UAI, it's ALL THE INTERVIEW.

Same with Adelaide Dentistry if you're interested.

That sucks! I mean, I'm pretty good at interviews, but my UMAT score was so good, it seems like such a waste =[

meethu

HSC
jozza80 said:
Hahaha.. Small world hey!

I'm sure you'll do fine, the first one was definately the hardest nerves wise.. By your 3rd - 4th exam, enthusiam leaves and all you can picture is a life without highschool...

You probably don't need good luck, so, Best Wishes.

Hope we both get UNSW (Stupid Monash)~!

:)
thanks - dont worry i'll need all the luck in this world and more to do well. i could imagine a life without high school at the start of this year let alone by the 3rd exam. well atleast i'll never have to do english ever again :D hopefully i'll see u in NSW next year.

willemhenskens

HSC
N/A
Wooz said:
Not unless your rural, etc. HSC 09, did you sit umat a year early?
Nope. I'm repeating cos I've been crook and off school for around 3 months. Just thought I'd see how I went this year. :)

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
cccclaire said:
Also because this ones a lot more serious than UNSW, do you think they'd mind if some of your answers to the standard questions (e.g. why do you want to study medicine?) are a bit pre-prepared?

Also, dress should be fairly fancy yeh? I heard they can be quite conservative.
As always, there's a fine line to tread between an answer that has been contemplated thoroughly beforehand and one that has been prepared/rehearsed. It's a hard call and I probably can't offer any advice that hasn't been offered before.

There's questions (in particular questions such as why medicine and why this institution) that you've OBVIOUSLY thought about before if you have any serious intention of doing medicine whatsoever, so I don't think it's possible to avoid an element of prepared-ness (goes to show how awesome I was at english =P) to your answer. (What I did was to just have some basic ideas already in my head that I wanted to get across in those types of questions and the way that my response panned out on the day varied considerably).

With regards to dress, I always like to err on the cautious/conservative side. Having said that, being a guy takes the decision almost entirely out of my hands (thankfully =)) - I think I wore the same shirt and pants to 6 interviews LOL...

treece

HSC
i got an interview with these umat scores..my letter came in the mail yesterday
1. 58
2. 48
3. 59
total = 165
percentage = 76%

what are everyones dates for the interview?

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
partelephant said:
With regards to dress, I always like to err on the cautious/conservative side. Having said that, being a guy takes the decision almost entirely out of my hands (thankfully =)) - I think I wore the same shirt and pants to 6 interviews LOL...
High five. I called my dark pants suit/white blouse/black flats the "interview outfit". The train rides, car rides and plane trips... How it served me well. Time to pull it out and get it dry cleaned for interview season!

fullysickbro

HSC
treece said:
i got an interview with these umat scores..my letter came in the mail yesterday
1. 58
2. 48
3. 59
total = 165
percentage = 76%

what are everyones dates for the interview?

Hi, I was just wondering what is the criteria that determines if you are eligible for an interview, is it JUST umat and predicted UAI??? Also, is there preference given to certain people, for instance those who might live in newcastle??

Treece, u got an interview for newcastle, is that what ur saying or do u mean UWS?

Last edited:

leahaf

HSC
Yay got mine yesterday... snail mail in the country lol... :) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)