Job after the HSC (1 Viewer)

v sia

HSC
I've been thinking about this for a long time , should i get a typical part time job or a job that would compliment my course e.g if i was doing a Uni ( if i make it ) in Business , should i try to get into a job relating to business ??

Or should i just concentrate on getting funds for my 4 year Uni life , oh and i hear Uni students have tons of trouble with there $$$$

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Yeah I've been thinking maybe I should get a job relating to my degree, but then I wondered, what the fuck can I do that relates to business/japanese? It's such a broad degree that there isn't really any part-time job I could do which does relate to it, apart from something involving speaking Japanese (but I'm not fluent so it prob wouldn't work). I reckon maybe for the first couple of yrs just go with a job that gets u the most money, then worry about getting experience for your degree

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
yeah just get any job that will give you experience working, so when you start the degree you have experience behind you, as well as having money to pay for your course or to spend on what you want. That's what i did.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
yenta said:
Yeah I've been thinking maybe I should get a job relating to my degree, but then I wondered, what the fuck can I do that relates to business/japanese? It's such a broad degree that there isn't really any part-time job I could do which does relate to it, apart from something involving speaking Japanese (but I'm not fluent so it prob wouldn't work). I reckon maybe for the first couple of yrs just go with a job that gets u the most money, then worry about getting experience for your degree
theres a overseas experience i can think of right now :rolleyes:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Just get whatever job you can get your hands on, you can't be too picky especially if you don't have much experience.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
after the HSC it doesn't matter what your job is. Money is money... and it's all experience anyway. But apply early so you won't be disappointed. Just work anywhere you can... you may end up enjoying it far more than you think.

People that are too picky and saying that they only was reception, or office jobs, usually end up unemloyed after the hsc, because most of those jobs require 2 years experience... (and please, don't do what my friend did and lie on ur resume. That's just unfair for the honest people out there)

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
i'd go for a part time /casual job/jobs different from you r degree ...so that you get experience and $$$ but since its different you can kinda of relax at it and not have to continually be learning because its what you'll be doing all your life...i work in retail and am doing accounting...so its kinda different and i enjoy it ....but thats just my opinion.....anyway a job is a job....get one whereever you want...you can always change

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
For those months before uni, just go get a fulltime job in any field you can, because you'll want the dollars that come with the 40 hours a week you'll be working...when you're at uni is the time for part time work... for that summer break, money is first preference.

Generator

HSC
N/A
theone123 said:
theres a overseas experience i can think of right now :rolleyes:
But that wouldn't be a part-time employment position for someone to take as they study, would it?

For most people, true degree related part-time work only comes towards the end of their time at uni, but that isn't to say that there is no point in looking now. Aim for the stars, but be sure to keep your feet in the gutter, too..

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Get a job --anywhere-- after the HSC. Work your little ass off, save as much as you can, in my opinion, but don't burn yourself out. Earn 16.5 grand in an 18 month period (KEEP YOUR PAYSLIPS AND GROUP CERTIFICATES!!!) and then get youth allowance, in about 2nd year of uni. Then, using the youth allowance 'income bank', you can stop working for almost all year effectively without losing any income (on average), as long as you get a job at christmas-ish.

So, in the meantime, Get a job. Anywhere -- doesn't need to be degree related for a few years. Retail is good. Start early, as llamalope said. People hire for christmas between sept-oct ish, so go around earlier before that and enquire when you should hand in resumes...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)