job rejections (1 Viewer)

amberbambi

HSC
N/A
Hey there

Since I've finished the HSC, I've been actively searching for jobs but with no success. What places are there do you think are actively hiring for school leavers and any advice with regards to rejection?

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Try seek.com
They seem to have a lot of receptionist/admin type roles that are perfect for school leavers
Most retail/hospo places only hire young (14-16) unless they're desperate

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
well what places have you looked

and also rejection happens to everyone - i recommend taylor swift's advice to "shake it off"

sy37

HSC
Hi,

At this point in time, most stores have actually just finished hiring. I know this sucks, but it probably is best to wait until some time during next year. The best time to apply for a job would have been actually during trials. You might get lucky with a store here and there, but usually just that. I also don't recommend seek. Most roles there are business orientated, and are taken by people with way more experience than high school graduates, however much a suitable candidate you may be.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
you may just end up having to give your resume to random companies as you walk by their shop

or look for stores with those 'hiring' signs

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

At this point in time, most stores have actually just finished hiring. I know this sucks, but it probably is best to wait until some time during next year. The best time to apply for a job would have been actually during trials. You might get lucky with a store here and there, but usually just that. I also don't recommend seek. Most roles there are business orientated, and are taken by people with way more experience than high school graduates, however much a suitable candidate you may be.
Nah seek is very very good. If not, the best place to look. I have seen time and time again, retail companies that only advertise through that (outside of the fast foods and large retail)

amberbambi

HSC
N/A
well what places have you looked

and also rejection happens to everyone - i recommend taylor swift's advice to "shake it off"
Hey there
I've looked at woolies, Big W, Coles, McDonalds, KFC, Krispy kreme, DJs, Myer, Yogurtland, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Cotton On/Factorie/Typo, jobs at medical centres (as a receptionist), tutoring centres, etc. - list goes on.

I somewhat anticipated this as I had applied REALLY late. When should I resume my job hunt?

Flop21

HSC
You've left it very late. So I doubt any of the 'norm' businesses around you are still hiring.

So that means you're going to have to go find a job online, where most companies advertise anyway. Just go on seek, search for jobs, and make sure you write a personalised cover letter for each store + your resume, remember you are fighting for a job over many other applicants.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
maybe become a private tutor or something if you need a job

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How difficult would it be to become a private tutor? (also considering HSC results aren't out)
as long as you get someone to take you on, it's fine

Just have a record of excellence and maybe some kids in the year below yours may take you up on your offer

astroman

HSC
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, most XMAS casual jobs are gone but some still pop up here and there, and since so many people apply online, there is a lot of competition so most people don't get chosen. So, approach the business you want to work for in person, nothing beats physical communication.

HSC
N/A
I would recommend doing a barista/RSA course and handing out resumes to cafe's around you. A lot of jobs available aren't listed online. I know a couple of people who have done that, and especially because you're fresh out of school, you should get it.

My employment provider also encourages having a look on Gumtree. A lot of smaller places will put up jobs there. I have a lot of friends who have found jobs on Gumtree and I know recruitment consultants who recommend it but do be careful, there are some bodgy ones.

If you're going to look on Seek, stay away from entry level sales and marketing or anything that's only commission based.

That's my 2 cents, good luck with you job hunt!

StudyToDeath

HSC
I work for a new store (a big company) and there was 1000+ online applicats for only 100+ jobs. Majority of the people who got hired were high school and uni students. I just found myself lucky to get a job

sy37

HSC
I would recommend doing a barista/RSA course and handing out resumes to cafe's around you. A lot of jobs available aren't listed online. I know a couple of people who have done that, and especially because you're fresh out of school, you should get it.

My employment provider also encourages having a look on Gumtree. A lot of smaller places will put up jobs there. I have a lot of friends who have found jobs on Gumtree and I know recruitment consultants who recommend it but do be careful, there are some bodgy ones.

If you're going to look on Seek, stay away from entry level sales and marketing or anything that's only commission based.

That's my 2 cents, good luck with you job hunt!
Yep. Got called in for a CBD interview for a, I fucking kid you not, 100% commission based role. Like, no - I'd rather start my own company.

Flop21

HSC
Yep. Got called in for a CBD interview for a, I fucking kid you not, 100% commission based role. Like, no - I'd rather start my own company.
I have a coworker who was talking about this. Some months he went with no income because of it.

How is it even legal? I thought we had a minimum wage in Australia for a reason.

Also OP, get your RSA + RCG, get a job at your local club. They are busy this time of year and you might find they are desperate for some new staff.

BlueLucario

Star-Lord
HSC
omg I got a call those dodgy commission roles as well -_-. Yeah I'm struggling to find a job as well.

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of rejection, I try to keep in mind the philosophy that "everything happens for a reason". Perhaps if you didn't get one job that just means that a better opportunity is around the corner. About a month ago I applied for like 4 jobs with woolworths/coles and didn't get them...then just yesterday I got a phone call saying that I got a job at a pharmacy which will pay much more and is more convenient to me location wise than woolworths/coles ever was.

Keep on trying and applying, even if you don't get the job the interviews you will have to do are good practice!

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I work for a new store (a big company) and there was 1000+ online applicats for only 100+ jobs. Majority of the people who got hired were high school and uni students. I just found myself lucky to get a job
what sort of stuff does ur store sell? clothes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)