Job + Uni (1 Viewer)

Bob.

HSC
Hey I've heard that science degrees take up a lot of time and I was just wondering whether anyone hear is doing one and also has a part-time job and how easy they find to manage the two. any help appreciate.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
very difficult from my experience. thats why i do tutoring. flexible hours.
unless you work in nightfill or something. in a science degree, esp. 1st yr, you're doing well over 20 hrs a week which is 5 days/week at uni and most days 8/9am -3 or 4pm

Generator

HSC
N/A
Well, it all depends on the individual - how far does one have to travel each day? How many hours a week would one work (at least 10 if it's part-time)? Would one work through the week or on the weekends? How much time would one devote to homework (revision and/or assessments) each week? Does one have to work or would mum and dad offer to cover the relevant costs? How much of a social life would one like to have? The list of questions can (and does) go on.

Keeping in mind that most students work (14 hours a week on average, I believe), I personally found it easy to manage 12 hours a week of part-time work (shifts at night, spread over the week), 3-4 hours a day of travel time and a first year class load of 24 to 22 hours a week. It would be best to say that I didn't exactly push myself in academic terms and that I was happy enough with a single night out a week, but I knew of a number of fellow students who were quite happy and successfully managed to work, learn and play till the early hours of the morning, but they were all fortunate enough to be living close to both the unviersity and their place of employment.

After all of that, I suggest that you take it easy in terms of part-time work if you have the chance, but I think that our little stories are pointless given that the only way you'll be able to work out just what you can manage will be by working it out for yourself as time goes by. Only you know what you are capable of and what you would like to achieve, after all.

tennille

HSC
I am currently doing a science degree. I'm at university 5 days a week, I usually work Thursday nights, and all day Saturday and Sunday (usually about 15 hours per week). In fact, a few times I skipped my Fridays to do some shifts. I still managed to get a distinction average. The main reason for this is that many science units don't have any major assessments throughout semester. Maths, for example, can have final exams weighted ~70-80%. Most science subjects have final exams that are weighted at ~60%. So I worked throughout semester, and when it came up to StuVac, I only worked Saturday or Sunday, giving me enough time to study for the final exams.

I don't recommend you working all weekend (especially during your first year), maybe just a Saturday/Sunday, and maybe a week night.

Last edited:

shes_jinxed

HSC
Ok I worked all of my first year in a science degree and it was pretty crap that being said i freakin hated my job. I worked mon,tues,thrus,fri nights and sat mornings so i pretty much only had sundays to chill and I hated it + i think on full lab weeks i was ment to be at uni 28 hours or something
This year ive been bludging at college
But i have lots of friends in science that work, mainly weekends

It really depends on what subjects you take, first year is pretty generic for everyone math chem bio blah blah so youll be doing over 20 hours, if you choose to take subjects with lots of labs like molecular bio you end up having 5 hour labs etc but they alternate weeks, so if you get a cool job where they are flexible with their hours then its fine because some weeks you have full days of uni with labs till 6 and other weeks only half days.
But yeah science we have barely any work during semester its just personal study time that you loose but thats why uni gods invented stuvac I just found i was tired all the time, and if I knew I had work late i would skip uni because i had like 8am - 11pm days, so i barely went to any uni unless I had labs.

If you dont really need the money, try find some nice job on the weekends i wouldnt recommend working during the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)