• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

jobs for a school leaver over summer (1 Viewer)

HSC
hi im finishing my hsc this year and will have a whole summer where i basically just want to earn money

im 18 in october

just wondering what suggestions people have for summer jobs in sydney

i bascially just want something that pays well. does anyone know how much nightfill pays for an 18 year old?

what other jobs have u guys done after leaving school over the summer

thanks

ned

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Nightfill is hell boring, dont do it. You will thank me later

Try: Gloria Jeans, McDonalds, Woolies, Coles, Big W, Target, McDonalds, Kmart.......

Evilo

HSC
you're probably not going to get a highly paid job unless your parents can scrape one up for you. Otherwise it's probably going to be retail/fast food/coffee shops etc.

If you're really fit you could go for heavy weight jobs, but becareful - an extra few bucks an hour isnt really good if you can't bend down to tie your shoes for the rest of your life.

Night fill is boring, and it really puts you out of wack sleeping wise. Also your olds will be pissed if you come home at 3am every morning making noise around the house (showering, eating etc)

Most of your jobs @ 18y.o - you'll get about $13-15 on part time, and $16-18 on casual.

EDIT - there is also the alcohol industry - you must have RSA (a one day course - costs $65), but can easily get a paid job as a 'sales assistant' at Liquorland, BWS, Dan Murphys, etc etc - Just make sure you look at the store's OH&S conditions. If the store is built on a slope you'll be manually loading x hundred slabs of beer, and it will fuck up your back. trust me.

Last edited:
HSC
Evilo said:
EDIT - there is also the alcohol industry - you must have RSA (a one day course - costs $65), but can easily get a paid job as a 'sales assistant' at Liquorland, BWS, Dan Murphys, etc etc - Just make sure you look at the store's OH&S conditions. If the store is built on a slope you'll be manually loading x hundred slabs of beer, and it will fuck up your back. trust me.
This is a good idea, because then you won't be competing against 14yo's for work.

Evilo

HSC
babikakez said:
This is a good idea, because then you won't be competing against 14yo's for work.
NB - hardly any females in the industry (just mentioning that because most of the jobs you would be doing are heavy/manual labour)

jordankuai22

HSC
Evilo said:
NB - hardly any females in the industry (just mentioning that because most of the jobs you would be doing are heavy/manual labour)
i can vouch for this.

conclusion: alchohol industry is shit straight out of school.

Evilo

HSC
i must admit, working at a liquor store did teach me ALOT about society. I met every homeless, bogan family, single mum etc that was an alcoholic in the area - and it really tought me alot about the community. Not to sound all preachy here, but i loved to hate the job, some of the shit just shocked me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)