John Howards Ir Package - Work Choice (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
You're asking other people to apply the effectiveness principles to workplace issue for you?

Tsktsktsk.

Research; google.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
that, or ask the hsc helpline to do it for you

radhika87

Pro
HSC
wouldn't we all want the answer to these questions?
Stop being lazy, and research youself on the Fed. Govt. websites and read new media articles on this very topic.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The legeslation hasnt even been released yet....

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
that's why you call it the "proposed IR reform"

tomcats 72

HSC
There is only one problem with trying to research the proposed reforms, I keep viewing a different story about it. It's so confusing. Does anyone know for sure what the reforms may include?

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Check out the ACTU website.

It has a summary of the government's Work Choices brief.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
No I agree, it is more accurate.
Really? I thought the government ads are just as misleading as the ACTU adds simply for what they do not say.

For example saying 'You cannot be sacked for refusing to negotiate an AWA' is true. But it doesn't stop your employer from sacking you for a whole host of other reasons. Unfair dismissal laws are going to be watered down (I assume) so you may have less recourse to those. If you a member of a company of less than 100 then you have no (or less) recourse to unfair dismissal laws.

If you are moving to a new job you can be sacked for refusing to negotiate an AWA.

There is evidence to suggest that these reforms will lead to less unemployment. A more productive economy etc. Broadbased collective bargaining for people WHO DO have skills to bargain with is not good for the economy. For those who have nothing to bargain with collectivism is the only way those people can sustain livable wages. The extent to wich these 'livable wages' deter employment is debatable.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If you a member of a company of less than 100 then you have no (or less) recourse to unfair dismissal laws.
Is it less than 100? My parents had me under the belief it was far less than that because they have under 100 and they were not affected.

I think it's something more like 25.

Mellonie

HSC
jkie said:
How Effective Is This Package?

And How Ineffective Is It?

I dont know y ppl r so lazy on this site, its not like u wanted their opinion. If they dont want to answer then dont type anything!

Anyway The new Ir proposals are effective in the way, some workers are able to recieve a better deal then what award system offers. those who can bargain a good Agreement will be better off, and also it is aimed at allowing employer-employment agreement which is more personalised.
However, the fact is this is going back to "laizee faire" approach, where employer held more control in the bargaining power, and employees who are vunerable and cannot negotiate very well will suffer and may signed a contract which does not benefit them.
So basically in essence While it benefits some parts of society, the injustice it leaves workers with over rides the benefitial factors, as Awa should not be compulsory but instead be only a choice.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Is it less than 100? My parents had me under the belief it was far less than that because they have under 100 and they were not affected.

I think it's something more like 25.
I think the new laws will mean that if you have less than 100 you will be exempt from unfair dismissal laws.

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
Isnt the new IR prosposal exactly the same as the one that Leading Edge has written for students???

= Jennifer =

HSC
MeehShanku said:
Isnt the new IR prosposal exactly the same as the one that Leading Edge has written for students???
I would be careful with anything published before the workchoices were released because the proposals over the last couple of months has changed as much as a yo yo going up and down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)